Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield Part Number - 2004 986S - Is this right?

Windshield Part Number - 2004 986S - Is this right?

I just had my windshield replaced and I was told it was an OE windshield but the manufacturer is Pilkington and not Sekurit like the OE was. On my invoice I have the following part number, can someone tell me if this is for a replacement windshield or what this number could be? 986-541-541-029A4-FW2029 = OE Glass 982-541-039A3 = mold kit Thanks!

Edited by A4EP

• Moderators

This will be a long response because I was calling around yesterday for a windshield replacement.

My windshield was replaced 2 years ago by a body shop, German Auto Body, when my car was in to repair body damage. Unlike most body shops this shop had a guy in house that did the replacement, rather than having a van come over to the shop. My dealer use to sub out the glass work, then for a while they had their own mechanic do the glass work, but when he left they sub it out again. No way am I going through the dealer for this windshield replacement.

Saint-Gobain Sekurit is the company that makes the glass for Porsche. http://www.saint-gobain-sekurit.com/en/index.asp

If you look at the pic of my car you will see a triangle with a funny looking P in the middle above SEKURIT- that is the Porsche logo used on parts. This is the windshield put in my car 2 years ago. The body shop purchased it from my local dealer. And I know they did because I happened to be in the parts department at my local dealer when windshield ordered by the body shop came in.

But that one got cracked recently. So it is time for a second replacement. I raised my deductible to $750 last year so I will be paying for the second replacement.

My insurance company uses a glass shop called Safelite and they have a location near my office. So I called them to get a quote and to find out what glass they use. At first they said they use Safelite glass. I doubt if there is such thing. Then I spoke to another person and she said it was PPG. PPG is a well known company that makes automotive glass and paint.

Someone on the internet claimed years ago that PPG buys glass from Saint-Gobain, removes the Porsche logo, then resells it as PPG glass. I never really believed this claim. So if I have time today I am going down to Safelite to see if they have a windshield at the shop I can look at. Also, the lady I spoke to yesterday said I could have Safelite install the Saint-Gobain glass instead - I guess they will just charge more.

My friend owns a body shop and he is going to put me in touch with the glass shop he uses, for a quote. And I will find out what glass they use.

Also, yesterday I spoke to a mechanic I know at my local dealer. Even Saint-Gobain glass can have problems. They have replaced the windshield on customers cars and sometimes there are distortions in the glass so it gets replaced again.

Never heard of Pilkington aftermarket glass being used in a Boxster, just PPG. Might be something new.

I have no problem using aftermarket glass in my 1997, if I can see through the glass. My car is old, I will be paying out of my pocket, and with all the crap on our roads I figure this one will also end up being replaced sooner or later.

The part number for glass starts with 986 541 901 and then there needs to be 2 more numbers on the end of the part number. There are 8 different part numbers, but they all start with 986 541 901 and then 2 more digits. If you have the green band on top. If you have the rain sensor. If you have the diversity antenna. And so on. That is why there is just not one part number.

post-4-1155228683_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the long response. I spoke with Safelite as well and they said they can order the OE glass. My issue is that I paid OE glass prices and did not get OE glass. My job, in total, was $729.00 tax in.

In all honesty, if I didn't think there was some sort of optical problem with the glass I wouldn't have even checked the logo stamp because it came with the rearview mirror mount installed and has the antenna in the middle with the correct black side boarders too. The other thing I noticed is that the antenna in the middle has a small bend in it, almost like a blip where it is straight till the middle of the windshield then turns out and then back in and follows the same line as before. I don't remember this on my other one. Either way, I guess I will live with it for the weekend and if I still have a problem with the optics (getting eye strain) I will complain. If the glass didn't seem to cause eyestrain I wouldn't have a problem, the odd thing is I can't see any visual distortions in the glass, really odd. Thanks again.

Edited by A4EP

• Moderators

Safelite quoted me $722 plus tax yesterday for what I assume is PPG glass, but who knows. When I call their local number I end up speaking with someone in the mid-west or somewhere.

I just got a quote from my friend's body shop glass guy, and it is $400. $400 for the glass and to install it. I think it is a special price because I know the owner. Their glass guy said they use Sekurit glass. If this is true then I bet it does not have the Porsche logo on it, but I don't care. He told me that they call that logo a "bug."

There may also be an additional charge for the seal kit. The glass guy is checking on it today.

Maybe your shop ordered the wrong glass. Would like to see a picture of the Pilkington logo on your glass.

Safelite quoted me $722 plus tax yesterday for what I assume is PPG glass.

I just got a quote from my friend's body shop glass guy, and it is $400. $400 for the glass and to install it. I think it is a special price because I know the owner. Their glass guy said they use Sekurit glass. If this is true then I bet it does not have the Porsche logo on it, but I don't care. There may also be an additional charge for the seal kit. The glass guy is checking on it today.

My breakdown was this:

OE Glass - $484.54

Mold Kit (982-541-039A3) - $69.64 (I have an S so this is the silver trim)

Kit Highmode??? - 92.00

Labor - $34.36

I would definitly go with your friend's glass guy.

Funny. when I checked with my local dealer yesterday on the price of a windshield it was also $484.54.

So your glass shop charged you for a genuine Porsche windshield.

Your glass shop owes you some money, or another windshield.

My thought exactly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

My Sekurit windshield was supposed to be put in this morning, Tuesday.

Got to the shop and my glass is not there, but it is on it's way in a few minutes from the local warehouse.

We strip all the plastic trim off that needs to be removed, the wipers, and so on, waiting for the glass to arrive. This prep takes about 15 minutes if you have done it before.

No glass shows up. It is on the way. They offer me a ride to the office but I already have a ride once I call the office to fetch me, but only after I see the glass that they want to put in. I tell them they are not to cut out the cracked windshield until I approve the replacement.

So, one of the guys at the shop goes to fetch at the warehouse. Then they want to know how many wires I have in the windshield. I told them over a week ago I just had just the standard antenna, no diversity, no rain sensor, no self-dim mirror. So I then remove the windshield mirror to show them.

Then a lady tells me there are 2 windshield at the warehouse. One does not have the mirror mount. The other has a crack. I did not ask what company made these windshields. I went back to the office in my Boxster.

So, now a Sekurit windshield is supposed to be sent from Sacramento to San Jose, Wednesday. Sacramento is not a local warehouse. We will see....

But they had non Boxster Pilkington and PPG glass in the shop. First time I paid attention to a company called Pilkington.

post-4-1156288094_thumb.jpg

post-4-1156288159_thumb.jpg

post-4-1156288218_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Well, 2 Sekurit windshields show up today. Hope it is not a bad omen that I am going to crack another one at the Laguna Seca drive this Saturday. Both had the mirror mount and antenna wire.

If there is a difference between my replacement Sekurit glass and the Sekurit glass sold by the dealer, then all I can see is that there is no Porsche logo on my glass. There are no distortions in the glass, and it fits just like the 2 prior windshields.

I have a 1997. The newer cars need a moulding/seal kit unless you can reuse the old one. My 1997 just needs a rubber seal that goes around the glass. This seal is glued in after the windshield is installed. My seal was replaced 2 years ago and we were able to reuse it because it had not been glued in back then. I waited an hour on the urethane and then took off with windshield #3.

Glass $325. Labor $80. Urethane glue $20. Tax $28.46. Total was $453.46. The guys at the shop did a good job and I am happy. No Porsche "bug" on the glass, but I think it was bad luck for me anyway....

post-4-1156378109_thumb.jpg

post-4-1156378175_thumb.jpg

post-4-1156378246_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well it may have taken a month but I now have official Porsche approved glass! The guys who installed my glass changed their story about where they obtained the glass from multiple times but in the end they came out and replaced it with the Sekurit glass that has the Porsche parts stamp on it. The glue is settting right now so as long as it does not squeak or have wind problems I will be happy.

For future reference Porsche glass DOES have the triangle stamp on it signifying that it is approved. Any glass not installed with that did not come from the dealer. Now, if it is Sekruit it probably the same glass (like the B&M Short Shifter vs the Porsche one) but did not come from the dealer so don't accept OE prices on that glass.

I am glad this debacle is over, I can't believe I got bait and switched!

• Moderators

Can you save your old Pilkington windshield for me? Might need it someday. 2 days after windshield #3 was put in and on the way back from Laguna Seca, a truck on the freeway threw a rock that hit really hard. Can't believe the new windshield didn't crack.

The B&M short shifter vs. the Porsche clone is a good analogy. I could have had the shop buy the Sekurit glass from the Porsche dealer if I really wanted the Porsche logo. Instead, I saved $160 on the cost of the glass.

At the rate I'm going I think I'm going to try PPG or Pilkington next, as those brands cost less than Sekurit. Or, maybe a lexan windshield.

The installers said they could see distortions off to the sides of the glass, where the bend is so they are going to take it back to the "Wholesaler" they bought it from. Then they admitted they bought it for someone else who backed out of installing it...these guys irritated me with this and I am just glad they are done...I just hope they didn't try to reuse the molding they put on the Plinkington. Guess I will see when I drive home from work in 30 minutes. The other thing I noticed right away is that the glass fits much better in the car. There was this huge gap between the A pillars and the old new windshield. This one fits much more flush against the pillars. So the glass does make a difference!

I will take a look at the product numbers on the windshield and I assume as long as your replacement has the same numbers for glass options it is exactly the same only without that triangle logo on it. This was a very interesting experience...hope this one last for a while.

• 4 years later...

This is the support topic for the DIY Tutorial Windshield Part Number - 2004 986S - Is this right?. Please post here if you have any questions or feedback.

Pilkington is good glass. However, if your are a purist and just must have the Porsche numbers, or the installers did not do the job correctly then you will not be satisfied. I have had Pilkington windshields installed in several of my vehicles over the years and they were perfect matches.

Edited by drobinson117