Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

MY99 996 C2 will not start

Hello folks,

I'm a relatively new member and first time post. I've done an extensive search on posts and read all posts related to starting problem but I did not see anything that may explain my problem. When I turn the ignition key and nothing happens. Before it went dead, it gave me a hint that it was about to die. There were a a few times that it happened but in re-trying I got it to crank and start. This time, it is consistently not doing anything, not even a click when I turn the key.

About 3 months ago, I had my key stuck in the ignition and had weird electrical problems - headlights will not turn on. After checking out all the posts here, I found out that I needed a new ignition switch. I replace it and everything was fine after tha

This particular problem started manifesting itself about a month ago. Fortunately when it did not start, I have the car in the garage. I checked the battery and it's okay. All electrical in the car works

Again reading the posts here, I replaced the clutch pedal switch and the plunger type part close to the switch. Still no change. When I turn the key to start, nothing happens - no click, nothing.

I also checked the fuse for the ignition. Looks okay.

I'm stumped. Any ideas before I have it towed to the dealer. Am I missing anything. I'm pretty handy and have done most work on this car and other cars. I'd like to check the starter but don't exactly know where it's located. I've only had this car for over a year.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to get back to the board on the resolution of this problem, for future reference to others. I did get the new switch last week but waited to replace the one I have on the car until the weekend. I ordered the switch from Porsche-parts-direct.com. I ordered 2 switches for spare. The switches were made in Germany, by Meyle. They came in a nice plastic package in a box - 1 each box.

I put replaced the part I have on the car with this one. When I put the key in the ignition to turn and start the car, my initial impression was it was a little tight (some resistance when turning). The car started right up, no problem. So, it is a faulty ignition switch that was just replaced a couple months ago.

Beware of faulty switches. I believe the brand on the faulty switch is Febi ordered from autohausaz.com. I've ordered a lot of parts from them before and this is the first one I had problems. I will continue to order parts from them, despite this problem. I'm sure it's not their fault.

Thanks again Loren. I would not have tried this if not for your suggestion. Probably would have cost me a lot more than what I spent on parts if I had it towed to the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

There are people who have replaced the switch and the replacement did not last long. After Porsche deleted the switch from invertory the parts department at my local dealer obtained some switches, that were not the Audi version. I do not know the brand. I talked to a mechanic and he said these failed quicker than the ones Porsche use to sell. If they have any left in stock I'll take a look next time I'm down there and see if I can tell who makes it.

Apparently there are several companies that make the switch. It would be nice to figure out which one will last a reasonable amount of time. I have seen them for a little as $8, but I do not know the brand.

A mechanic gave me 2 defective original equipment switches so that I could take them apart and try to figure why something so simple has so many problems.

One switch has LK with a circle around it, and I assume it is a logo for the company that made it. It says made in West Germany.

The other switch has nothing on it except a part number.

So maybe after a year (or less if it fails) you can tell us if Meyle is a good brand.

• 1 month later...

Wow. The same thing happen to me more or less. I bought a cheap switch on ebay and all was well for a little while. Maybe a month or two. Then I got an airbag light, got it cleared by the dealer but it soon returned. I bought the Durametric OBDII tool to clear the alarm but soon after I cleared the airbag light alarm, it would return. I noticed error code that I didn't know what it meant and I posted a message here. Loren helped me trace it back to the ignition switch. I bought a new switch (actually two, one for backup) from the Audi dealer and like magic, no electrical problems for about six months now. The switch I have is as described by Tool Pants. There's a logo that has LK with a circle around it and it says Made in West Germany.

• 3 months later...
There are people who have replaced the switch and the replacement did not last long. After Porsche deleted the switch from invertory the parts department at my local dealer obtained some switches, that were not the Audi version. I do not know the brand. I talked to a mechanic and he said these failed quicker than the ones Porsche use to sell. If they have any left in stock I'll take a look next time I'm down there and see if I can tell who makes it.

Apparently there are several companies that make the switch. It would be nice to figure out which one will last a reasonable amount of time. I have seen them for a little as $8, but I do not know the brand.

A mechanic gave me 2 defective original equipment switches so that I could take them apart and try to figure why something so simple has so many problems.

One switch has LK with a circle around it, and I assume it is a logo for the company that made it. It says made in West Germany.

The other switch has nothing on it except a part number.

So maybe after a year (or less if it fails) you can tell us if Meyle is a good brand.

Tool Pants--did you learn anything from taking apart the switches? Thanks.