Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

heated seat swap

I am looking into purchasing a set of sport seats for my 03 C4S to replace my standard seats. I have found a set but it does not have heated seats. I am pretty sure that they will fit and even possibly do a rail swap to make use of my power seats (fore-aft part). My concern is how do I get the heated part to swap out, if possible? I told seller I would get back to him asap.

Armand

Your car currently has the heated seat option and you are asking how to get the heating mechanism from one seat to the other? The heating elements are molded into the seat foam. This pad (or foam) actually has two different part numbers. One for heat, and one without. So the key to heating the seats themselves is in the pad. The standard and sport seats are different shapes, so I would be very suprised if the pads were the same. That said, you could buy the sport seat pads with heat (assuming that was ever an option) and have them swapped by an upholstery shop.

This all assumes that you want to maintain factory-style seat heating. There are aftermarket solutions, they will not appear or operate as stock.

FYI-My experience is with the Boxster, but it shares the same section of PET with the 996 and most information and parts are the same. More info on heated seats are on my site.

Edited by DenVogel

I took my car the Vargas Auto Upholstery in Sunnyvale. They've done work for me twice, and I have been pleased with the results. The Boxster seat cushion swap was $340 labor. The details for this, and parts are at the link I posted earlier. You may also want to check the Babblers site for upholstery reviews in the Bay area.

Babblers Vendor Recommendations

FWIW, I asked for heated sport seats when ordering my 02 Cab in July 01. At that time they did not have a heated seat option for sport seats. But things could change I guess.

• Moderators

With one minor difference it looks like the heated foam on the normal seats are the same as the sport seats for 2003. But rather than taking out the foam from your present seats you can buy the upper and lower heated foam parts and put them in the sport seats. Then sell your heated normal heated seats. The foam is about $110 each times 4.

part_seat_pad1.jpg

part_seat_pad3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...