Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cigarette Lighter Removal?

• Moderators

All I can say is good luck - takes about 10 hours to get the lighter out of the trim piece if you are lucky.

When we swaped Ray's Boxster black trim for silver painted on a work on cars day I gave up. Passed the trim piece around to the 10 other guys there that day and they gave up. Looked at the worthless shop manual Then we gave it to Alex and he just did it and removed it while we were not looking. I think Alex invented the Rubic's cube.

A few months later our local group is filming a silver trim swap and spoiler switch install on Armand's C4S for the DIYer DVDs. Then we had to stop the camera because we still did not know how to get the lighter out. I called Alex on his cell phone and he did not remember. Gave it to Raman and he removed it - he must be a co-inventor of the Rubic's cube.

Then I got Raman to put it back together the way it was and start all over while the camera was running. I think I will make a DVD with just how to remove the lighter.

Armand_096.jpg

• Moderators
Jeff you have bad memory.  I was the one that removed Ray's Lighter socket!  I just pryed the black section back slowly and carefully.  On the socket there are clips the hold it in.

Worked on too many cars. :unsure:

No wonder Alex did not know how to do it when we called him. Give me your number so we can call you or Raman next time we can't figure out how to remove the lighter.

Thanks for the help. Got the two small pieces off, now what? Does the lighter assy just push out the front? Tried, but there seems to be a small clear plastic tab that would prevent the lighter from moving. I tried pushing on it pretty hard but no budging it. :cursing:

haha I'm not a good phone tech guy. I can't even tell my mom how to turn on her computer by phone.

From what I can remember the lighter socket pulls out from the front. I just remember that there were two tabs....Maybe a slight twist? Ray do you see a slit or slot anywhere? I'm trying to remember if I pulled the black tabs back and did a slight twist. Ah, it's driving me nuts, i'm almost tempted to go down and pull mine out...if I weren't so darn lazy...ugh...arghhh

Edited by Itzkirb

The only remaining items are the white plastic plug receptical, the metal lighter plug and a clear portion that seems to surround the metal piece. The lighting sections have been removed, on my item are green, bulb holder, and the black bulb bracket support. I've poked, prodded and even resorted to an application of the trusted hammer, with no avail. I know, I know, bigger hammer.....

Ray

Yes, only the light comes off (Green items) everything else will slide out the front. I remember there are two tabs to pry back, but you have to pry and hold or they won't be loose. I think I used two screw drivers. Pryed one tab back, held it back with a screw driver and then pryed the second one back. I don't remember exactly where the tab placements are, but they are on the black piece I've arrowed. Just try prying the two sides of the black piece and see if the socket will slide out the front. Like I said previously, there might be a slight turn/twist involved.

post-21-1076700322_thumb.jpg

Edited by Itzkirb

Holy Cr*p. I just got my AS dash piece, so I guess I'm in for some bench time. Since I don't smoke and have my V1 hard wired, so I need the lighter for anything? Could I just do this? (with a silver piece, of course)

standard.jpg

• Moderators
This is day two of this madness. The lighter is unrelenting and my patience is growing shorter. Someone has to know for sure how to remove this cursed thing. Please help.......... as the edge grows closer......ughhhhhhrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

I guess I will include the video of the lighter removal in the next set of DIYer DVDs. ;) I have the removal on a DVD for the video of trim work we shot that day on a C4S but my only DVD player is in my notebook and my Compaq computer was sent in for repairs yesterday. So I cannot look at the DVD to see how it was done.

About all I remember was I gave up quickly, and when we filmed Raman removing it it came out just the opposite you would think. Raman lives about 5 minutes away and I know he is home today because he is moving into a new house. If you want his telephone number send me a PM.

OK, so here's the deal. It's a three step process. First remove the illumination portion containing the light bulb and the securing bracket, two pieces either both green or as mine was the bulb portion green and the support piece black. These are removed by prying under them with a small screw driver.

Next the center portion, aluminum and white plastic piece. This is held in position by two small tabs located in the inside of the lighter, the location where the actual lighter would be placed. There are small clear plastic tabs about 1/4" wide by 1/8" high that require pressure applied to them, one at a time while pushing on the white portion forcing the center or metal piece out of the assy. This takes some time, a little on one side then a little on the other till it releases. After this the clear section remains.

The clear section is again held by two clear plastic raised tabs that when depressed release the clear portion of the assy. And there you have it. Any questions please let me know, I'll be happy to help. :jump:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I did this yesterday and there is an easy way to do it. You don't have to push in the plastic tabs on the trim ring. And you don't have to remove the green light assembley to get it apart.

There are plastic tabs on the lighted ring that keep the metal cigarette lighter cylinder from moving in or out. But if you twist the metal cylinder while holding the trim ring, the tabs slide out. The clear plastic sheath holds the cigarette lighter tightly but it is then possible to slide it out. Once it is out, you can get the lighted clear plastic part by angling it slightly while pulling it out. The whole thing should take less than a minute.