Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turn signal stalk is not re-setting after turn?

All my bulbs are fine, but the turn signal stalk is not re-setting after a turn...and continues to blink.

I looked for a blown fuse, but nothing seemed pertinent/connected to this.

Comments/advice?

Thanks...

Hi, youre not alone! I'm looking too. My turn signal indicator switch just stopped self cancelling after turn too. MY03 996 (LHD). I'm surprised there is nothing here.

Its a mechical failure in the switch which normally means an expensive new switch. This happened (years ago) on both my '74, and '84 911. It seems a design fault. We able to pull the wheel remove the switch from the column and fix the contacts.

I have no idea about the 996 yet, and hopefully someone can reply to us. I'm not to keen yet to pull the wheel off and start messing without some good encouragment to do so.

Cheers

Jas

Edited by Jas III

I would try a new (or some else's) relay first. It is relay position 3.

Sadly, I don't know what a relay or relay position is.

Searching on "relay position 3" gives me an error message!

Sorry for being such a newbie.

Hey, I *did* wire across the engine compartment to create a functional rear fog light on the passenger side of my C4S last week...just give me direction, a little encouragement, and some education, and I'll be doing regular work on this amazing little beast.

• Moderators

When you move the stalk up or down this black plastic thing sticks out.

When you make a turn there is another thing that pushes the thing back in and the stalk goes back to the middle.

Having the stalk return to the middle position is mechanical.

Got to find a name for those things. In the first picture I have move the stalk from the middle position which causes the thing to stick out. In the second picture the stalk is in the middle position and the thing no longer sticks out. If that thing is broken then it will not cancel.

Is your problem that the stalk will not physically return to the middle?

post-4-1174116495_thumb.jpg

post-4-1174116526_thumb.jpg

Hello Mr Pants

Perfect in my case. Yes the switch is not returning to center.

1)There is clicking noise on left turn where I hear something catching and trying to reset trigger the release but misssed.

2) Occasionally on trying to indicate a right turn I cannot get the switch arm to lock and hold into position.

I removed the rubber cover over the switch at the steering column from the signal and computer arms to try to see if someithing might be stopping it from moving into position.

3) Yep .... I notched something that would raise when arm was lifted to sometimes stop it from locking into a right turn position. With a tweezers, I pulled out a sliver or small notch shaped piece of broken black plastic 1/8" wide by 1/2" staggered length. I'm guessing its part of switch release set up you are showing in your pics.

So..... here I am wondering :wrench:

Are there instructions in the forum for pulling the wheel to get at the switch?

Can these sometime be repaired, or do you think I need a new one?

Any suggestiions :lightbulb: on finding one besides bending over at the nearest dealer?

Thanks again for your contributions to try and help!

Jas III

Edited by Jas III

• Moderators

When you turn the steering wheel this thing on the air bag spiral/contact spring pushes the thing that sticks out.

There are a lot of plastic parts that you cannot see until you remove the steering wheel and all the stuff under it.

If you want to give it a go then search on the board for messages like OBC or trip computer. We remove the steering colum switch assembly when we do an OBC retrofit. You might check with someone who has done the retrofit and see if you can use their old switch assembly.

post-4-1174273398_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It is probably that plastic "flag" that broke off. It cancels the turn signal when you center the wheel. BTW, try not to hold down the turn signal when it's trying to cancel. It clicks "hard" and just feels like it might lead to premature breakage if done too much.

Hi LP,

I just had the same problem in my ’01 Boxster this weekend – all of a sudden, the turn signal is not resetting automatically on the left turn and the turn signal switch is not locking when I try to signal a right turn. Did you fix yours yourself or did you take it to a dealer?

Does anyone have an estimate of how much it costs to have the whole thing replaced at a dealer?

Thank you very much,

Gustavo Andrade

• 7 months later...

Hi....

Yes I did and still hear a "click" "click" more on right turn, then left. Click is still there!: :huh:

I also found a small piece of black plastic that appears to have come off the top of the housing assembly where the turn stalk enters the steering column.

:wrench: I bought a new stalk from Sunset but have not installed it. Not sure I'm ready to attempt to pull the steering wheel/airbag to bits without some good instruction.

Dealers here charge £120/ hr! That's USD$250!! and quoted at a 1.2 to 2 hr job! <_<

Errrg ...yeh right...for now I self-cancel the turn indicator!

Cheers

Edited by Jas III

This just happened to me today as well.

left will not auto cancel and right will not stay locked into position.

Do we have a list of parts that need to be ordered for this DIY?

'99 C2 - makes you wonder what other plastic might be ready to give up.

Edited by 911dark

• Admin

A replacement will vary based on the options your car had (cruise control and OBC).

Most of them run about $250 US List price (I'm sue the folks at Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost) can do better than that price).

Changing one out is the same airbag, steering wheel removal process found in the OBC hack documentation.

Might also be an easy time to upgrade to the OBC stalk while you are at it.

• 5 months later...
A replacement will vary based on the options your car had (cruise control and OBC).

Most of them run about $250 US List price (I'm sue the folks at Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost) can do better than that price).

Changing one out is the same airbag, steering wheel removal process found in the OBC hack documentation.

Might also be an easy time to upgrade to the OBC stalk while you are at it.

Reviving an old thread, but I have the same problem. I just ordered a turn signal stalk assembly from Sunset Porsche for $162.99 + $13 shipping. That place is the best!

• 2 weeks later...

same problem here. porsche should def. have some kind of warranty on these things since it's not a normal wear and tear part like brakes. i dont know of any other car that gets this problem repeatedly. for now i'm living with it. its just annoying for other drivers when they think im going to turn but its really just flashing still from the last turn.

• 2 months later...

OK so does the whole stalk assembly need to be replaced when this happens, or does something simply need to be realigned?

• Admin

OK so does the whole stalk assembly need to be replaced when this happens, or does something simply need to be realigned?

If it is not resetting after a turn then it is likely broken and needs replacement - sorry.

• 4 months later...

If it is not resetting after a turn then it is likely broken and needs replacement - sorry.

Argghhh... looks like I will be doing this as well... mine stopped working yesterday. It sucks that we can't fix this. No amount of epoxy will keep that tab in place?

EDIT: Found the threads on this. Does not apply to my car since it already has all these functions enabled. Looks like I will need to order a new part then... Also, what are the specifics on the upgraded part? Don't understand the comments on upgrading to the OBC stalk ??

My car is a 2002 996TT with cruise control, etc.

Edited by wachuko

• 10 years later...

Just purchased my first Porsche -a 1998 Boxster with 58,000 miles, manual. My turn signal stalk is also not resetting. I'm looking to repair/replace the piece. The pics are helpful. I also found a YouTube video which shows how to remove the steering wheel. BTW, this forum is awesome! Very helpful!

• Admin

1 hour ago, ZzzTime said:

Just purchased my first Porsche -a 1998 Boxster with 58,000 miles, manual. My turn signal stalk is also not resetting. I'm looking to repair/replace the piece. The pics are helpful. I also found a YouTube video which shows how to remove the steering wheel. BTW, this forum is awesome! Very helpful!

:welcomeani:

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome everyone to the wonderful world of fragile Porsche parts!

The fact that Porsche continues to foist off the exact same Steering Control Switch Assembly with a well documented history of failure shows just how much they care.

Remember when paying through the nose that the Porsche and Piech families are the 7th wealthiest oligarchs in the world per Wikipedia.

Probably manufactured by some addled 4th cousin working in a remote German mountain village and supporting an entire shirt tail wing of the family.

Or contracted out to some poor slapdash eastern European back alley garage operation.

If someone wants to 3D print a workaround solution I would happily donate my old Steering Control Switch Assembly to the effort.

There should be sticky listing all known fragile parts as a call-to-arms to the maker community to end the Genuine Parts/Tequipment ripoffs.

• Like 1