Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

car wont idle properly?

Hi

As a suggestion from this site I decided it was worth cleaning the ICV and took the suggestion to buy a gasket before starting the job.Amazingly the OPC didnt have them especially as its also the country HQ, one really wonders when they ever clean these or do they just use gasket goo like I had too.

I have documented the process for those new to DIY.

Bruce

Edited by Loren
Deleted 14 MB file - download a more compact version below

Thanks for the great instructions and pictures. One question: why did you use degreaser and carburetor cleaner? Doesn't the carburetor cleaner degrease too? Also, do you have a picture of the gasket and/or the part number?

Stefan

thank you

I suspect your right, I used the degreaser on the outside of the body and peripherals but the carby cleaner probably would have done. I was being a little frugal but didnt need to be as I only used about a quarter of a can. The degreaser was a quarter of the price.

If it wasnt clear the mini shifter had a tork screw bit in the jawsforming a right angle screw driver, next time I would put some blue tack on the jaws to stop it slipping out, I lost 2 bits.

the gasket broke but its still around, it was very brittle, I'll take a photo, note sure of the part number but as I ordered one the invoice may have a part number on it. I used black gasket silicone in place of the original.

Can you belive the OPC doesnt stock them, they ordered it from germany.

Bruce

Thanks for the great instructions and pictures. One question: why did you use degreaser and carburetor cleaner? Doesn't the carburetor cleaner degrease too? Also, do you have a picture of the gasket and/or the part number?

Tool Pants

Yes

Definitely better and very worthwhile, not perfect starting yet, but significant improvement on idling.

Starts and settles into an idle quicker if I give a little throttle when I hit the ignition.

Once the car has been running for more than 10-15 secs its terrific, smooth idle and holds idle revs very steady, bizaarly gear changes seem smoother (its a Tiptronic).

Not sure if I should clean the throttle body.

I havent got any diagnostic sw so I cant reset or diagnose . I runs slightly rough first start of the day for 10-15 secs.

Its done 99,000 kms (60,000 miles), I dont when the plugs were last done, the service centre reckons they didnt need doing which irked me some beacuse I wanted it done. I reckong the AOS needs doing and not sure if the O2 sensors are worth doing.

Bruce

This is perfect for me. My car is a 1999 with 96k miles. My AOS went a couple of years ago and my throttle body and ICV have never been cleaned. The idle is ok but the car has recently become more reluctant to settle down to idle. It definitely feels like something is sticking.

I'll get the replacement gasket and clean it all out. I have little doubt it will make a noticeable improvement. Your instructions gave me the motivation to do this. It's always satisfying when you can fix problems like this with a relatively small amount of effort and minimal cost.

• 2 weeks later...
I would definitely clean the throttle body too.

Sometimes cleaning the ICV is temporary fix. Seems sometimes the solenoid just gets weak and then you have to replace the ICV.

Worth doing, Finally got round to cleaning the throttle body, seems to improved the idle at start up and general running, thanks Loren for encouraging me to do this.

Heres the before photo (after photo looks brand new)

post-11477-1175924326_thumb.jpg

I would definitely clean the throttle body too.

Sometimes cleaning the ICV is temporary fix. Seems sometimes the solenoid just gets weak and then you have to replace the ICV.

Worth doing, Finally got round to cleaning the throttle body, seems to improved the idle at start up and general running, thanks Loren for encouraging me to do this.

Heres the before photo (after photo looks brand new)

post-11477-1175924326_thumb.jpg

..Pic of a 996 non-egas.

Is there anything on the ICV that needs cleaning on an egas car? I dismantled mine and it looks quite different from the non egas ones. Mine looks like a round disc. I ended up just cleaning the throttle body which solve the problem anyway.

• Admin
..Pic of a 996 non-egas.

Is there anything on the ICV that needs cleaning on an egas car? I dismantled mine and it looks quite different from the non egas ones. Mine looks like a round disc. I ended up just cleaning the throttle body which solve the problem anyway.

eGas cars do not have an ICV.

The idle is controlled by small movements of the throttle butterfly - so IMHO it is more important on an eGas car to keep the throttle body and butterfly clean.

post-1-1176221355_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I ordered oil separator, maf sensor and couple other things.

My car is '99 with 82K. I've never had problems with idle. Sweet except that I started to have problems at startup. Engine starts immediately and then for 5 sec rpms dropping down like the car want to die. For that 5 sec rpms are up and down between 450 and 1000.

So I decided it's time to do some cleaning. BTW this topis was very helpful.

I removed my throttle body to do really good cleaning. It was very dirty with oil. Next was ICV regulator. Looks even worse. I used intake cleaner to remove oil from regulator. While ICV was drying at the sun I notice a tiny crack in the cover.

I was way too dirty and p... to make a picture.

post-1-1177262741.png

Question is: Is it causing problem at startup?

Edited by Loren
made image viewable

It was heavy carbon build up.

I cleaned ICV, a little carbon still lefted inside plus that tiny crack. I did my best.

Today in the morning engine started right away as usual and then 3 sec rpm up and down, like it want to die. I press gas pedal gently and rpm went up to 1200 and then fall to 400. I released gas pedal wait 3 sec and after that car runs really great. No issues. No codes. At the red lights rps steady at 750-800. ???