Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi

I recently bought a 2003 996 4S coupe. After a month or so, the car started rattling at low speeds over rough pavement. In the beginning it stopped after a while, but now i cant get rid of it.

I tired to replicate it at standstill, but couldnt find it. It doesnt make noise when driving over speedbumps or so, as i said it is at constant lower speed.

Anyone has has similar experience or has an idea where to look?

Tom

Belgium

Hi

I recently bought a 2003 996 4S coupe. After a month or so, the car started rattling at low speeds over rough pavement. In the beginning it stopped after a while, but now i cant get rid of it.

I tired to replicate it at standstill, but couldnt find it. It doesnt make noise when driving over speedbumps or so, as i said it is at constant lower speed.

Anyone has has similar experience or has an idea where to look?

Tom

Belgium

Check your muffler. Mine had a sporadic rattle as well that grew to constant. I got a used replacement for free and my troubles are over. Post more info if that's not the rattle, and we can point you to other culprits.

-td

Rattle does not come from dash & i would be surprised if it were muffles. I think it comes from front of car. It could be shocks, but then again, I can not hear the creaking when windows are open. And i cant replicate the sound by leaning at shocks at stand still.

Thx, Tom

• Moderators

Check for play on rods from sway bar to shockabsorber,silentblocs sway bar to chassis and control arms first.It is not easy without elevator.

I took my car to dealer yesterday. To my surprise it was the front wind shield that is causing the creaking. According to the dealer, the only fix is replacing the window. Quite expensive I guess.

Anyone had a similar experience or knows a quick fix?

Tom

• 5 months later...
I took my car to dealer yesterday. To my surprise it was the front wind shield that is causing the creaking. According to the dealer, the only fix is replacing the window. Quite expensive I guess.

Anyone had a similar experience or knows a quick fix?

Tom

I recently picked up a 2004 C4S and noticed that it had exactly the same issue - creaking from the dash front area when on the move. Because it wasn't a rattle and did not occur when stationary under engine vibration, I guessed that it might have been caused by the windshield trim frame.

My dealer suggested taking it to a windshield shop they use to see if they could tell if anything was wrong or could be fixed. I was also told that the only way to tell or fix it is to start over and have the windshield replaced. Its a bit annoying to me that this fundamental problem could occur and, according to my dealer, isn't covered under the Porsche New Car Warranty.

What's the experience in the cost for having this done out of pocket without going through insurance?

I also had a 'creaking' from up front and was told by my OPC head technician that it is the 'rubber' around the windscreen that 'creaks' on the outside of the car (bodyshell). He said that they ALL do this after a while and the only way to temporarily 'fix' it was to clean under the seal (where it touches the side pillers/roof and at the bottom of the screen). You can simulate it by pressing the outside of the rubber or move it around and see if it makes a 'creaking' noise?? Anyway, clean with some meths and a cloth or soapy water and a sponge and get all the crap out from underneath. When this has been done, get some silicon oil and run it into the rubber where it touches the glass (at the bottom) and paintwork. Leave stand for a while and wipe excess off.

My car had been gradually getting worse and worse and was becoming unbarable, but now, silence from up front!! Try that, its cheap to do and may sort the issue. Dave.

:renntech:

Stunning fastboydave...Thank you!

Tried this out this morning and it absolutely works! Here's what I did...

1. Yesterday, I got caught in light rain on my way back and immediately noticed that the creaking was much reduced, substatiating the that the rubber trim was creaking against the dry bodywork.
  2. This morning with my car dry in a covered garage, I pressed along the edges of the rubber windshield trim and sure enough, there was significant creaking along various areas!

I then proceeded to clean under the rubber trim with meths and soapy water using a thin soft cotton cloth wrapped tightly around an old plastic credit card;

• at the bottom of the windshield I got it in between the trim and glass
  • at the sides along the A-pillar and roof in between the bodywork and trim

The creaking came from the rubber trim moving and rubbing between these surfaces.

Using the same setup of the thin soft cotton cloth around plastic card, this time soaking it with some silicone lubricant, I ran along the inside of the same surfaces at least twice to get enough silicone lubricant in them. Waited for a few minutes and cleaned off excess with meths and soapy water and voila!

I enjoyed my drive this afternoon so much more without the distraction of the creaking upfront :). Like fastboydave, this was getting worse and so becoming so unbearable to me that I considered replacing the windshield (see my earlier post on this thread). Thanks to fastboydave for sharing his experience for this rather simple fix!

1. Yesterday, I got caught in light rain on my way back and immediately noticed that the creaking was much reduced, substatiating the that the rubber trim was creaking against the dry bodywork.
  2. This morning with my car dry in a covered garage, I pressed along the edges of the rubber windshield trim and sure enough, there was significant creaking along various areas!

I then proceeded to clean under the rubber trim with meths and soapy water using a thin soft cotton cloth wrapped tightly around an old plastic credit card;

The creaking came from the rubber trim moving and rubbing between these surfaces.

Using the same setup of the thin soft cotton cloth around plastic card, this time soaking it with some silicone lubricant, I ran along the inside of the same surfaces at least twice to get enough silicone lubricant in them. Waited for a few minutes and cleaned off excess with meths and soapy water and voila!

I enjoyed my drive this afternoon so much more without the distraction of the creaking upfront :). Like fastboydave, this was getting worse and so becoming so unbearable to me that I considered replacing the windshield (see my earlier post on this thread). Thanks to fastboydave for sharing his experience for this rather simple fix!

What is/are meths????

I enjoyed my drive this afternoon so much more without the distraction of the creaking upfront :) . Like fastboydave, this was getting worse and so becoming so unbearable to me that I considered replacing the windshield (see my earlier post on this thread). Thanks to fastboydave for sharing his experience for this rather simple fix!

What is/are meths????

Denatured alcohol is ethanol which has been rendered toxic or otherwise undrinkable, and in some cases dyed. It is used for purposes such as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves, and as a solvent. Traditionally, the main additive was 10% methanol, which gave rise to methylated spirits.

I seem to be able to hear every possible vibration, rattle, and creak in my '02 C2, and--although I cannot say for sure that I have heard a creaking sound coming from the same area when driving--I just completed the steps you have outlined above. I did hear some "creaking" from the rubber trim where it meets the bottom of the windshield when I pressed on it, but nothing from the areas along the A-pillar or the roof. I cleaned and lubed them all regardless. Will post again to share results.

Thanks,

Chris

Doesnt need to be "methalated spirits", soapy water will do or something that 'disolves' crap. The silicon grease/oil is the key and let it 'soak' for a while before you wipe off the excess. Remember, this wont last forever and will undoubtedly have to be done again in a few months. But this is exactly what the UK OPC's do to cure 'windscreen creaks' (due to this issue) but will charge us an hour or two labour for the honour!

Glad i could help some of you.......... Dave.

Its amazing how much fine dirt is under there after a few years! It took me a few attempts to clean it out and I think its prudent to get as much cleaned before applying the silicone grease. Using just soapy water is probably just fine but I also used a mild ~35% isopropyl rubbing alcohol solution because I wanted it to dry out faster before applying the silicone grease. Bottom of windshield is where its loudest when pressing on the ribber trim and likely where most of the creaking comes from...but from inside the car, its hard to isolate.

Notice there is also a TSB on this in the TSB section. However, if you follow it an place a rubber foam in there you still have to use some silicone spray every few month. My 99C4 has been doing this for the last 3 years so it's become kind of a maintenance procedure to me.

Thorsten