Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ipod connection Cable/ AUX input cable for BECKER CDR 220

I have been researching AUX connection for the BECKER CDR220 unit (pre 2003 ) and before I paid Becker autosound $25 for their cable which is RCA connections ( hence you will need to buy a Patch cable as well to coonct an IPOD) I discovered www. discountcarstereo.com which carries these cables for Blaupunkt units and will work for the" incredible" CDR220 unit also.

I confirmed via live chat that the DOCK connector will power the iPod also and looking at the connections of the C3 port No 15 is a "permanent =12v" and no 16, 17 and 18 are ground connections or 12v control. Becker autosound refused to confirm if the ipod can be powered via this connection and eventually said that there was no way to "slave " power from the "back " of the Cdr 220. Thank you Becker for producing such a reliable quality unit and helping the suckers who now live with it.

So any body who really knows please help.

Here is the link to the various C3 AUX connectors

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

Also if anybody is considering an upgrade to a NAKAMICHI head unit , I was told that there would be new product launch soon so may want to wait.

Thanks

Edited by tagger

Thank you Becker for producing such a reliable quality unit and helping the suckers who now live with it.

Can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I have been very happy with my CDR220. I know its no $1000 after market blaster, but, then, I'm no audiophile. 30 years of jet engines have saved me a lot of money on high-end stereo gear.

I'm also happy with the support Becker America has given me. They may have raised the price, but I paid only about $12 for the Aux input cable .... and they threw in instructions on programming the radio for it, along with a free set of removal tools. Twice I have had cause to call them directly and both times got quick & helpful advice / information.

I hardwired a third party adaptor to power the ipod and ran the connector wire back through the center console. The same wire/plug takes the output signal to the the Aux input cable. Nice and neat. (thank you Orient Express for a great DIY).

• 3 months later...
Thank you Becker for producing such a reliable quality unit and helping the suckers who now live with it.

Can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I have been very happy with my CDR220. I know its no $1000 after market blaster, but, then, I'm no audiophile. 30 years of jet engines have saved me a lot of money on high-end stereo gear.

I'm also happy with the support Becker America has given me. They may have raised the price, but I paid only about $12 for the Aux input cable .... and they threw in instructions on programming the radio for it, along with a free set of removal tools. Twice I have had cause to call them directly and both times got quick & helpful advice / information.

I hardwired a third party adaptor to power the ipod and ran the connector wire back through the center console. The same wire/plug takes the output signal to the the Aux input cable. Nice and neat. (thank you Orient Express for a great DIY).

Could anyone please point me to Orient Express' DIY Article...

Thank you so much,

Gustavo Andrade

• 1 year later...

Will this cable work with a Cr 220 with Navigation? I have a 99' C4 with the double-din deck and navigation...heard there were issues with simply hooking up an adapter cable? If it's as easy as you make it sound I will be very happy! If anyone knows how to hard wire an ipod to my deck please let me know so I can get ridof my changer...really getting tired of changing CD's.

Thanks!!! 808C4 :)

I have been researching AUX connection for the BECKER CDR220 unit (pre 2003 ) and before I paid Becker autosound $25 for their cable which is RCA connections ( hence you will need to buy a Patch cable as well to coonct an IPOD) I discovered www. discountcarstereo.com which carries these cables for Blaupunkt units and will work for the" incredible" CDR220 unit also.

I confirmed via live chat that the DOCK connector will power the iPod also and looking at the connections of the C3 port No 15 is a "permanent =12v" and no 16, 17 and 18 are ground connections or 12v control. Becker autosound refused to confirm if the ipod can be powered via this connection and eventually said that there was no way to "slave " power from the "back " of the Cdr 220. Thank you Becker for producing such a reliable quality unit and helping the suckers who now live with it.

So any body who really knows please help.

Here is the link to the various C3 AUX connectors

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

Also if anybody is considering an upgrade to a NAKAMICHI head unit , I was told that there would be new product launch soon so may want to wait.

Thanks

I just ordered one. :)

<snip>

Thanks

Good information. Thank you.

Another source for cables is Metra Electronics at:

http://www.metraonline.com/default.aspx

They have a cable (70-1787) which will allow me to connect a Dual XHD6425 to the Bose amp and existing power supplies with only four splices.

Another alternative is to buy the cable supplied by Porsche owner Euclid. See link below.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automot...n-iporsche.html

That cable includes a ground loop isolator which eliminates alternator whine that you will surely experience with the cable from discountstereo.

Also includes radio keys. After factoring in radio keys and shipping, Euclid's kit is better and cheaper.

Will this cable work with a Cr 220 with Navigation? I have a 99' C4 with the double-din deck and navigation...heard there were issues with simply hooking up an adapter cable? If it's as easy as you make it sound I will be very happy! If anyone knows how to hard wire an ipod to my deck please let me know so I can get ridof my changer...really getting tired of changing CD's.

Thanks!!! 808C4 :)

No, neither of the abovementioned cables will work with your NAV unit. Sorry.

• Moderators

FYI:

The way the 3G iPhone and 2G iTouch charge their batteries is different from the older iPods, and most of the earlier AUX cables will not charge these devices.

The older iPods charged via the Firewire connection lines, and the newer 3G iPhone/iTouch only use USB connections lines.

There is an adapter available from Scosche that will fix this situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the cable and it's working great. It seems to be a huge improvement over the transmitters that are so popular. I have a GT2 G timer mounted in the empty space below the cd storage but I’m considering running the iPod cable into the center console. I'm thinking that would keep it out of the way.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I recently got an iPhone 3G, and although my Becker aux cable is working well with it, I would like a charge / audio connection, as well as steering wheel control of the iPhone.

Looks like this would provide most of this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UK2HE It's a Kensington LiquidAUX Auxiliary Car Kit with Remote.

I am thinking about getting one, and trying to hardwire the power connector into the 12V line. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks,

-James.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I recently got an iPhone 3G, and although my Becker aux cable is working well with it, I would like a charge / audio connection, as well as steering wheel control of the iPhone.

Looks like this would provide most of this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UK2HE It's a Kensington LiquidAUX Auxiliary Car Kit with Remote.

I am thinking about getting one, and trying to hardwire the power connector into the 12V line. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks,

-James.

First of all, many thanks to everyone for their help and insight to help me get an iPod in my car!!! After much painstaking research I have found the ultimate fix/solution to the challenge of adding an iPod to our precious Porsche's is....Solisto "Extra" from Germany is the only way to go...even if you have a PSM1 Nav headunit!!!

Here is the link for all to know: http://www.solisto.de/index.php?page=home〈=en

Note: Be sure to click on the English Flag icon (upper right corner)...unless you read German.

The guys at Solisto are the "bomb!!!" Although it took some time to order the parts needed they took the time to really help me! Great thing is it wasn't much more to purchase than all the other ways out there and Solitso has everythng you will need. The result is now I have iPod quality tunes in my baby....and up to 594 songs to enjoy! The unit fits nicely either in the front boot or can be setup in your center console armrest. FYI: The unit enables the iPod to be controlled via your stock radio controls. Check it out...YOU won't be disappointed!

BTY: The Solisto Extra works with iPod, iTouch and iPhone....yes I said iPhone! Now that's German technology for yah!

BR, 808C4 :)

PS: Let me know if you have any questions or want to see pictures. It's a five minute hook-up if you install the unit in the front boot. I am currently making a proper mounting bracket...will update everyone in the near future.

Edited by 808c4

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings folks,

I have written a DIY article explaining how to modify a cable to connect and charge an iPod with the Becker CR/CDR-220 head units. My article explains how to do it by cutting and splicing the appropriate cables. You can find it in the 986 DIY section.

I also sell modified cables as a hobby, but I have a method of rewiring these cables without any cutting/splicing/soldering needed. These cables come with detailed installation instructions. All you need are factory radio removal keys and 15 minutes of your time. For folks in the SF Bay Area I am willing to meet and assist with the installation. The cable is a simple and elegant solution to integrating your iPod with your factory head unit. Compatible with all iPods with dock connectors except the iPhone 3G and iTouch 2.0 and Becker CR/CDR-220 head units (possibly CR/CDR-210 as well I need somenes assistance in confirming this). $50 including domestic shipping by PayPal or cash in person. The Scosche adapter will allow the newer iPod/iPhones to charge at least.

-Jeremy

Contact me at: j w a e n ( at ) L M I ( dot ) n e t

Edited by RaisedOnPorsches

Interesting. Would love to see pictures of your install. How much did it all cost, and can you detail the installation process?

Thanks!

-James.

Howzit,

Keep in mind I bought a Solisto Extra for my NAV PSM1 headunit...they may also make one for a 220 and/or many other Porsche OEM radios. Here are a couple of pics so you see what I am talking about. I'll add more when I have more time. Basically you should checkout the website URL I posted earlier.

BTY: I installed mine in the front boot in the same location as the CD changer with the cable pictured. You can also purchase a cable that connects directly to the head unit, then run the line and install the box in your armrest, then attach your iPod... Again, it's very easy!!!

I paid 99 Euro for the Solisto Extra and 14.99 Euro for the cable. This is a special holiday price. ...oh yeah, iPod not included.

Good luck! Let me know if you need anything else.

Aloha, 808C4

post-24926-1232511648_thumb.jpg

post-24926-1232511662.jpg

post-24926-1232511675.jpg

Edited by 808c4

Interesting. Would love to see pictures of your install. How much did it all cost, and can you detail the installation process?

Thanks!

-James.

Howzit,

Keep in mind I bought a Solisto Extra for my Nav PSM1 headunit...they make also make one for a 220 and/or many other Porsche OEM radios. Here are a couple of pics so you see what I am talking about. I'll add more when I have more time. Basically you should checkout the website URL I posted earlier.

BTY: I installed mine in the fornt boot in the same location as the CD changer with the cable pictured. You can also purchase a cable that connects directly to the head unit, then run the line and install the box in your armrest, then attach your iPod... Again, it's very easy!!!

I paid 99 Euro for the Solisto Extra and 14.99 Euro for the cable. This is a special holiday price.

Good luck! Let me know if you need anything else.

Aloha, 808C4

• 1 month later...
I have not tried it yet, but my understanding is that the following cable (with a separate noise filter spliced in) will charge the iPod and play music. The power can be spliced from the phone connector.

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=616&bc=no

Hey if anyone is interested, I pulled this setup out of my 996 just before I sold it. Its listed on ebay with a iphone proclip for 25.00 just FYI http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260374871892

I have not tried it yet, but my understanding is that the following cable (with a separate noise filter spliced in) will charge the iPod and play music. The power can be spliced from the phone connector.

So if I understand this correctly, this device will allow me to hook my iPhone 3G up to my 2002 Carrera 4S with a CDR 220, giving me power and the iPod connection in a single plug?

If that is correct, then will I see iPod data on the screen, and will I be able to control the iPod with the controls on the CDR 220?

If this all works, I may have to buy one!

• Admin

So if I understand this correctly, this device will allow me to hook my iPhone 3G up to my 2002 Carrera 4S with a CDR 220, giving me power and the iPod connection in a single plug?

If that is correct, then will I see iPod data on the screen, and will I be able to control the iPod with the controls on the CDR 220?

Someone needs to actually try this because our radios are Becker not Blaupunkt.

Someone needs to actually try this because our radios are Becker not Blaupunkt.

Maybe I'll give them a call and see what they have to say about it. If the cable isn't too expensive, I'm willing to give it a try...