Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Yet another celsius / fahrenheit climate switch question

I had a crap LCD on my old climate control, popped in another unit which works like a champ but is in celsius. I searched all over for how to change to fahrenheit. I found the [recirculation] and [+] trick but that didn't work for me. I guess this means that I need a PST2 to code the changed hardware? Dumb question: does this mean I have to go to the dealer or indie mechanic to have this done? I'm guessing this takes 30 seconds but they are going to charge me $50 to do it... Any way to avoid this cost? (I don't mind leaving it in C but I would prefer it to be consistent with the outside temp, which is in F.)

• Moderators

I was told by a dealer mechanic that when you replace the a/c display you had to code it with a PST2 or it or the display would flash. If you put in a used display then maybe the mechanic meant this was for a new display. Anyway, that is not your issue. I think the display needs to be for the correct year.

I started Boxstering in 1999. We were able to change between C and F by pushing the buttons on the display. When the 2001 Boxster came out we were not able to do it by pushing the buttons. I thought it had to do with the fact the Boxster instrument cluster changed in 2001. I never tried it on a 996, but the 996 instrument cluster did not change until 2002

I did not have a PST2 back then, but I have something just like it now and can give it a try. There is talk of a local work on cars day and if we do it you can stop by.

I got it to work. I have no idea if this made any difference but I tried starting the engine and did the same sequence. For whatever reason, it now switches easily back and forth. My old unit was dated 2000 (I have an '01) and the "new" replacement unit was actually older than mine but had a functional LCD. It was dated 1999, came out of another C2. Anyway, thanks for all the input.

• Moderators

Makes sense that it would work, somehow, on a 2001 996 as the instrument cluster on a 996 did not change until 2002. On the 1997-2000 Boxster we would just turn on the ignition - did not need to start the car.

The a/c control unit is from an Audi. The LCD display goes bad. There is a guy selling just the LCD for Audi. I asked if it would also work on a Boxster and now he sells it as an Audi/Boxster LCD. But I do not know of anyone who has actually tried to replace the LCD on a 996/986. If you want to give it a try or donate the defective display to me and I will try it - let me know.

Today I printed out that CB display directions sheet and tried going through the various functions to see how they worked. I was able to get the display to show the various codes, (c1, c2, c3 etc) but anytime I hit a display that showed a temperature....it displayed it in Celcius rather than Farenheit. I tried the procedure for changing from C to F, but it wouldn't work. All temperature displays except for the one that showed the outside temperature, displayed in C. Anyone else notice this? Were you able to get it to display in F? I was looking to display the engine and water temp in F.

Makes sense that it would work, somehow, on a 2001 996 as the instrument cluster on a 996 did not change until 2002. On the 1997-2000 Boxster we would just turn on the ignition - did not need to start the car.

The a/c control unit is from an Audi. The LCD display goes bad. There is a guy selling just the LCD for Audi. I asked if it would also work on a Boxster and now he sells it as an Audi/Boxster LCD. But I do not know of anyone who has actually tried to replace the LCD on a 996/986. If you want to give it a try or donate the defective display to me and I will try it - let me know.

Tool Pants, I'm in the South Bay. I could meet you somewhere with the defective unit. Feel free to PM me.

• Moderators

Stop by the work on cars day in San Jose, July 28th.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14592

Here is the ebay LCD display. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...1748&rd=1,1

2 Boxster owners have tried this LCD replacement without good luck.

http://www.renntech.org:80/forums/index.php?showtopic=13559

http://www.986forum.com:80/forums/showthre...age=2&pp=20

I contacted the seller a few days ago to find out what the issue was, and did not get much of a response other than the statement that someone has done it.

My a/c display is fine. Hoped someone would figure out a way to fix the LCD since it is a common problem.

post-4-1183002376_thumb.jpg