Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all,

I am going to tackle my clutch on my 99-996 c2 and was hoping someone had some advice on this. From what I can tell it seems to be a bolt off/bolt on job. Are there any adjustments that need done after replacing the parts?

Is the following seem to ba a complete list? I found it on ebay for $374

This complete clutch kit contains the following components:

SACHS Porsche OEM Pressure Plate

SACHS Porsche OEM Clutch Disc

SACHS OEM Release Bearing

SACHS OEM Release Bearing Kit

Genuine SACHS Clutch Kit Part #: K70246-01-14

If anyone has advice or knows where a nice detailed step by step is Iwould appreciate it.

Erik

Just had the clutch replaced on my 987s , which is a similar unit. Some additional things to be aware of , you may also need gaskets and clutch pressure plate bolts. With the clutch out you may also want to replace the Rear Main Seal with the uprated design. The dual mass flywheel should also be checked for freeplay , if it is slack , doesnt return to original position or the springs are weak this will also need replacing. Not sure if a special tools are required on the 996 , but one is required on the 986/987. Unless you have a very well equipped garage, personally i'd defer this task to a good independant. There is a write oup on replacing the rear main oli seal futher down in this section. This will give you an idea of the work involved.

Edited by berty987

Just had the clutch replaced on my 987s , which is a similar unit. Some additional things to be aware of , you may also need gaskets and clutch pressure plate bolts. With the clutch out you may also want to replace the Rear Main Seal with the uprated design. The dual mass flywheel should also be checked for freeplay , if it is slack , doesnt return to original position or the springs are weak this will also need replacing. Not sure if a special tools are required on the 996 , but one is required on the 986/987. Unless you have a very well equipped garage, personally i'd defer this task to a good independant. There is a write oup on replacing the rear main oli seal futher down in this section. This will give you an idea of the work involved.

i saw that and it looked quite simple...i just dont know if the looks are deceiving. i just dont know if there are any other adjustments or alignments that are required after the new parts are in. that article didnt mention anything about adjusting the clutch after putting it back in...any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

Hi

The 996 clutch is not the same as a 987 997 clutch, the main difference is situated in the pressure plate, the 987 997 plate is equipped with a automatic adjustable mechanism witch eliminate the pedal lift when the clutch is coming to his end. The intention is to have the same feeling in pedal play with a new clutch as with a used clutch as well. The dual mass flywheel needs a replacement if the contact area is worn out or the displacement is out of specifications, witch is not so easy to diagnose and the flywheels that are replaced unneccecary are countless. Don't forget that the details makes the difference and sometimes you need a professional skill to prevent you to do more bad than good and waste time and money.

Success

Hi all,

I am going to tackle my clutch on my 99-996 c2 and was hoping someone had some advice on this. From what I can tell it seems to be a bolt off/bolt on job. Are there any adjustments that need done after replacing the parts?

If anyone has advice or knows where a nice detailed step by step is Iwould appreciate it.

Erik

Are you doing this on the floor? Cause its so much easier on a car lift. I dont recall any special adjustments needing to be made, put you will need the right clutch alignment tool. Good luck and have fun.

vizcarra44

Hi all,

Erik

Are you doing this on the floor? Cause its so much easier on a car lift. I dont recall any special adjustments needing to be made, put you will need the right clutch alignment tool. Good luck and have fun.

vizcarra44

i have a friend that manages a shop and i can use the lift there...maybe some of his mechanics advise too.

thanks,

• 2 months later...
Hi all,

Erik

vizcarra44

i have a friend that manages a shop and i can use the lift there...maybe some of his mechanics advise too.

thanks,

Hi, how was the clutch replacment going? I think I might be in the same shoe...any pointers would appreciated. Thanks in advance.