Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spring Cleaning...Well Summer

Finally got around to driving to Orlando any buying the rivets for this project.

Spent around 7 hours doing this. A lot of the time was spend cleaning the plastic bits. Alot.

Total to take off the front bumper is about 45min and maybe an hour to put it back on.

I don't know how i picked up a cigarette butt but there it sits.

Anyway so far a success, maybe i am just imagining things but it seems like i am getting

more air through my vents. After 7 hours i must be.

post-16847-1185841398_thumb.jpg

post-16847-1185841498_thumb.jpg

post-16847-1185841512_thumb.jpg

post-16847-1185841520_thumb.jpg

post-16847-1185841546_thumb.jpg

Did you take the two Torx screws out of the AC condensers and clean the radiator behind them?

Yep, slid out fairly easy. Couldn't believe all the crud in there. I wonder how much is still there between the radiator and the fan.

Thought maybe i was going to find our missing cat.

Edited by seafeye

I assume there's a link you followed to undergo this project. I've had the rear bumper cover off; very simple. You mentioned rivets? I'll need to do some searching to find how to accomplish this. I'd like to do some cleaning, as well as a little paint repair (underneath) where the prior owner scaped a curb or such.

I assume there's a link you followed to undergo this project. I've had the rear bumper cover off; very simple. You mentioned rivets? I'll need to do some searching to find how to accomplish this. I'd like to do some cleaning, as well as a little paint repair (underneath) where the prior owner scaped a curb or such.

Glad you asked....I found this link months ago but never got around to doing this.

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/R...r/Radiator.html

In terms of importance i think this should be a must do project. Some of my concerns before were that i wouldn't be able to get the bumper cover to

sit properly after the reinstall. But Porsche did a great job of making this idiot proof. No matter what it seemed to line up.

The other concern i had was that i would not get the car back togther. But if you can do puzzles aimed at 5-10 year olds, you are set.

The other thing i did but didn't mention is that i used a hose to rinse the radiators. Not a hard spray to hurt the fins, just a gentle flow.

All black bits got the Mothers treatment of "Back to Black". Works great.

post-16847-1185892679.jpg

Thanks for the link to the terrific write up...couldn't be any clearer than that. My '02 S has only 12k miles on it, but could probably use a good cleaning. I've had no operating temp issues as the car runs around 180*-185* consistantly. The under nose scrapes bother me more than anything, though they can't even be seen unless on a lift (but I know they're there).

Glad you asked....I found this link months ago but never got around to doing this.

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/R...r/Radiator.html

In terms of importance i think this should be a must do project. Some of my concerns before were that i wouldn't be able to get the bumper cover to

sit properly after the reinstall. But Porsche did a great job of making this idiot proof. No matter what it seemed to line up.

The other concern i had was that i would not get the car back togther. But if you can do puzzles aimed at 5-10 year olds, you are set.

The other thing i did but didn't mention is that i used a hose to rinse the radiators. Not a hard spray to hurt the fins, just a gentle flow.

All black bits got the Mothers treatment of "Back to Black". Works great.

A timely post since I just finished doing a similar job, replacing the left front AC condenser coil after a run in with a Ubolt. I did the cleaning too. Hopefully my wife won't read your comments about how easy it was to reinstall the bumper, she now thinks I could repair anything after seeing the car with the bumper off and back on. You're right, the bumper goes on vary easily thanks to Porsche's quality control and tight clearances. The only thing I can add is to label the screws so you know which one's go where when you start putting everything back together.