Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Emergency release for front hood

I can't believe what just happened...On my 2003 C4S, I was working on the dash with one lead from the battery disconnected and a trickle charger on my battery. The hood ended up being shut by mistake...

I've searched previous forums regarding an emergengy braded cable release in the front of the right front fender - somewhere around the right headlight. I have the car jacked up and the front fender liner removed, but I can't find the braded steel cable to release the front hood.

Can anybody help out in locating the cable???

Thanks VERY much!

Bill

It is usually behind the headlight or between the headlight and bumper.

Thanks very much for your quick reply Loren - very much appreciated...I found the loop to the left of the right headlight tucked along where the fender attaches to the "trunk structure". There was a little rubber flap that kind of hid it from sight...

All is well and the trunk is open...This has to rank in the top 5 dumbest things I've done - when it comes to working on cars, that is...

Best regards,

Bill

It is usually behind the headlight or between the headlight and bumper.

Thanks very much for your quick reply Loren - very much appreciated...I found the loop to the left of the right headlight tucked along where the fender attaches to the "trunk structure". There was a little rubber flap that kind of hid it from sight...

All is well and the trunk is open...This has to rank in the top 5 dumbest things I've done - when it comes to working on cars, that is...

Best regards,

Bill

Well, the fun continues...Now the trunk won't latch down tight and lock - the trunk remains ajar. I pulled the emergency release cable about 1/4" back towards the latch mechanism just in case the cable didn't return to its original position after I used to open the trunk from the front fender location. I've tried about everything I can think of - the latch releases OK when the interior rocker switch is used & from the emergency release handle in the trunk. Just can't get it to lock.

Any ideas? The dealer is booked solid and the weekend weather is supposed to be good - I'd like to be driving the car!

Thank you!

Sometimes you can reach inside the latch mechanism with a small screwdriver and push the emergency cable lever back. You might also try a little (stress little) amount of WD40.

I've pulled the cable back to near its original position prior to the whole front fender business, but my feeling is that something in the latch mechanism - the "crab claw" like cam that rotates around the "U" shaped hood latch as the hood is depressed into the locked postion - is being held up from ratating around the latch somehow. I'll try the WD 40 also as you've suggested, but I used the screw driver method on the "crab claw" to get it to rotate around to no avail - I thought it might not have reset to its original position after pulling on the emergency cable. Everything else actuates just as it should...

I guess the next step is to start removing plastic to get at the latching mechanism. Am I opening up a "can of worms" if I start to unscrew the plastic "smile" that fills in between the bumper and the rubber trunk seal? Looks like the headlights are involved there.

Thanks,

Bill

Next time simply "bridge" that trickle charger into the right fuse holder in the fuse panel. Some owners manual describe how.

That was the first thing I tried and it only works if you have the battery leads connected...I had the ground lead disconnected from the battery due to work I was doing on the dash installing some carbon fiber strips. The hood was shut to keep the trouble light from snagging on it - force of habit and distraction lead to me to lock the hood - kind of like walking out the front door to get the paper off the porch and hearing the door shut & lock behind you - you know what just happened and can't believe it just did! Oh well...Live and learn!

Bill, look at my instructions in the DIY section regarding the latching mechanism and potential failure point. Its an easy DIY.

Great - thanks very much! I managed to get the latch to work - I knew it had to be something simple...Once the black plastic trim piece surrounding the latch was pulled back, I found that there are 3 different cables going into the latch. I found the one that had not returned to its original position, pulled it back towards the latch, and all is good...