Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can the OBC hack be done on a 2000 C2 cab?

I went to the dealership today and asked them to turn on my onboard computer on my 2000 C2. The experts had left for the day. But, the people there said they didn't think it could be done. They thought there were two types of 996's and I had one that it couldn't be done on.

Can it be done on all or not?

Yes, in about 2 minutes with a PST2 or PIWIS.

Could you please point me to instructions somewhere? The service tech said that I should print out the instructions and bring them in. The only instructions on the web I could find were for a Boxster and if I bring those in, they'd probably tell me "Oh, sure we could do it on a Boxster, but not your 996".

This is what I found before: http://www.brackenrig.net/OBC_Hack.htm

If it's the same thing, I'll try to convince them of that.

• Moderators

Yes. These are pictures of a 1999 C2 where I turned on the OBC at a local work on cars day in July. Also turned it on for a 1998 Boxster at the same work on cars day. Same procedure.

In the first picture there is no OBC temp display.

In the second picture of the same car the OBC has been turned on, and you can now see the temp display.

Both pictures below are of that 1999 996, taken minutes apart.

I would not have been able to do this without Loren. But he is wrong. It takes at least 3 minutes to turn the OBC on....

post-4-1189223175_thumb.jpg

post-4-1189223219_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Funny, I forgot about the clock in the pictures. The before and after pictures are 6 minutes apart.

But, the delay was caused by talking to the owner after it was turned on, hunting around for the camera, drinking a beer, and then getting in the car to take the after picture....

• Moderators

The confusion at the dealer may be caused by the instrument cluster changes that has occurred over the life of the 996 and 986.

On a 1999-2001 996 if the OBC is turned you will immediately see the outside temp display. 2002 up you will not see anything until you retrofit a switch or stalk. This is due to a change in the instrument cluster that happened for model year 2002.

You have a 2000 so it is not an isuue. Go back and tell them to turn it on.

• 2 weeks later...
So, how many minutes did it take....

Well, I can't tell for sure. I walked to the parts department and picked up my speaker that they got in for me. The parts department was only about 20 meters from where I dropped my car off. Didn't have to do any paperwork for it. So, I'd say 10 secs walking, 20 secs waiting to speak to somebody, 80 secs for him to go back and get it and 10 secs for me to walk back where the guy was already done. So, I'd say about 2 mins.