Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY guide for removing interior plastic pieces?

Is there a DIY guide for removing interior plastic pieces for 986?

I want to paint all the black plastics in the cabin, door pocket lids, speaker grilles, ignition key trim, center dash trim, aircon vents and etc.

Thanks

Here is a link that will guide you on door panel removal, with some detailed photos and instructions. This should help you with the door pocket lids, and speaker grilles, along with the door handle pull trim "surround" and that little half-circle piece just forward on the door pocket lids. http://www.ecoutez.net/boxster/door-panel-removal/

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks guys. Thats exactly what I wanted to do. Except I will get them professionally sprayed with exterior paint. Will throw you a pm if I run into trouble removing them!

Cheers

What are you trying to say? ;)

My pieces were 'semi-professionally' sprayed (by me) using Ocean Blue exterior paint from Paintscratch.com ($25) and it is a PERFECT match.

You can pay someone else to do it, but it is much cheaper and much more fun to do it yourself- and quicker. I had everything done in a day.

One thing, when you are removing screws and other pieces, put them in separate plastic bags (sandwich bags, etc.) and label them so you know what goes where. I ended up with a number of 'extra' screws, so please learn from my mistake. ;)

On my pieces after I did the actual 'painting', I used a matte (flat) clear coat. I was doing so many pieces that I thought if they were all super-shiny clear coated, it might be 'too much'. But you could use a high-gloss clear coat if you wanted to. This would make the color really 'pop'. Just keep the 'shine-factor' in mind if you are doing many pieces.

I'm guessing that it will cost a lot to have these pieces professionally sprayed. I would DIY and if you don't like the result, you can always send them out to a professional. ;)

If you are going to DIY, make sure you wipe the pieces with alcohol first and dry them, then use a tack rag to remove dust.

My total cost on this was $50 for the Ocean Blue paint (2 cans @ $25) and $7 for 2 cans of clear. Super-cheap!

Good luck!

Thanks Chris for the heads up on separating screws.

I didn't mean yours are unprofessional :D in fact from what I can see in the pictures they are as good as they get for a DIY effort :thumbup:

I'm getting my bodyshop to paint and fit a pair of side skirts for the boxster thus thought why not paint the interior pieces as well. He is doing the whole lot for a good deal so its all good.

Now I just have to decide on a color. You see my car is Ocean Blue has blue seats, blue-purpleish door trim/carpets, black carpets, silver transmission console was optioned from the factory, silver roll bar and the rest is all black. What Im thinking to paint the center dash trim and side A/C vents silver to match the transmission console. Paint the rest in the exterior Ocean Blue color as its quite dark and would blend in well with silver/dark blue theme. Any suggestions?

Now I just have to decide on a color. You see my car is Ocean Blue has blue seats, blue-purpleish door trim/carpets, black carpets, silver transmission console was optioned from the factory, silver roll bar and the rest is all black. What Im thinking to paint the center dash trim and side A/C vents silver to match the transmission console. Paint the rest in the exterior Ocean Blue color as its quite dark and would blend in well with silver/dark blue theme. Any suggestions?

that sounds like quite an interior! :lol: can you post a pic? i've never seen one as you describe.

i think that silver will be a good choice to offset all the black. i considered doing silver as well. i have another set (well, 90% of a set) of trim pieces, and i am going to paint them silver to see how they look. then, depending on my mood, i can have a blue set and a silver set. it will be nice and keep the car from getting boring. i'm actually very surprised that i've had this car for over 8 years and i'm not bored with it. it is the first time i've ever kept a car so long!

of all the pieces, the side air vents are by far the most fragile. unless you want the louvres/slats in the vent housings painted, you will need to remove them. it's not that difficult, but it is a PITA. the louvres are numbered on their undersides, so you really can't put them back in wrong, but taking them out and putting them back in (along with the little plastic hinge that moves all the louvres in tandem) is frustrating. maybe yours will be easier than mine.

also, on the inside of the air vent housing, the first section of air duct is attached to the housing via 4 plastic tabs that are very easy to break. the air duct itself had 4 plastic slots that these tabs fit into, and they are very easy to break, too. i broke a number of mine, but super glue saved me. ;) you'll see what i mean when you get in there.

the second most difficult pieces are the inside door handle covers. there is a plastic tab (what's with all the tabs, Porsche!?) that is very easy to break. i think most people that remove these pieces break the tabs. i did on both of my door handle covers. this tab is mentioned in the door panel removal instructions link that someone posted above. the good news is that the pieces will still fit securely even if you break the tabs (which you probably will ;) ) and it makes them much easier to remove next time. :lol:

other than that, everything else is pretty easy. you will want to tape up your handbrake with a good, thick tape when you remove the center console (if you are removing it) as the plastic will scratch the handbrake up pretty good during removal.

let us know how it goes!

Edited by Chris_in_NH

of all the pieces, the side air vents are by far the most fragile. unless you want the louvres/slats in the vent housings painted, you will need to remove them. it's not that difficult, but it is a PITA. the louvres are numbered on their undersides, so you really can't put them back in wrong, but taking them out and putting them back in (along with the little plastic hinge that moves all the louvres in tandem) is frustrating. maybe yours will be easier than mine.

Sound like PITA indeed. Would they look bad if I leave the louvres in place and paint the whole thing in silver? Im afraid there will be too much contrast with the center vent still in black. like this 00004480216lr.gif except the whole thing in silver.

the second most difficult pieces are the inside door handle covers. there is a plastic tab (what's with all the tabs, Porsche!?) that is very easy to break. i think most people that remove these pieces break the tabs. i did on both of my door handle covers. this tab is mentioned in the door panel removal instructions link that someone posted above. the good news is that the pieces will still fit securely even if you break the tabs (which you probably will ;) ) and it makes them much easier to remove next time. :lol:

other than that, everything else is pretty easy. you will want to tape up your handbrake with a good, thick tape when you remove the center console (if you are removing it) as the plastic will scratch the handbrake up pretty good during removal.

Do I need disconnect the side airbag wirings to remove the pocket lids? Handbrake won't be a problem as the rear center console's already been painted in silver from the factory so no need to remove.

Sound like PITA indeed. Would they look bad if I leave the louvres in place and paint the whole thing in silver? Im afraid there will be too much contrast with the center vent still in black. like this, except the whole thing in silver.

i'm not sure how they would look in all silver. but i think the black/silver contrast would look good (silver housing/black louvres). they're not all that difficult to remove. try removing one louvre and you'll see what i mean. but in the interest of a good final product, i would remove them. and won't the louvres in the center air vent be black - or were you going to paint over those, too? (since the center louvre pieces are larger than the hole that they occupy, they swivel up/down. when the person is painting them, they would have to swivel them up/down during painting to make sure the whole swiveling pieces get painted).

Do I need disconnect the side airbag wirings to remove the pocket lids? Handbrake won't be a problem as the rear center console's already been painted in silver from the factory so no need to remove.

no, you won't need to disconnect the airbags to remove the pocket lids. there are two hinges and one spring. you need to tap out the little metal bar in the hinges with a thin punch and a hammer, and you can just wiggle/coax the spring off of its mounting point inside the door pocket (the other end is connected to the door pocket cover. leave that in place.) also, my little metal hinge bars were very difficult to remove and took quite a bit of effort, as they had never been removed and the car is 10 years old. when i replaced them, i put a little anti-seize on them so they would be easier to remove if i needed to remove them again. just be careful with the anti-seize, it will stain. you could also use graphite.

Thanks djomlas

how did you remove the plastic trims highlighted in the pic? also why did you left the speaker grille unpainted? was it because they are harder to access or just preference?

i know the answer because i already asked him. ;) he sprayed those dash trim pieces while they were installed in the car. brave man! :o ;)

Hi All,

I agree with all the advice here, however here's a tip when I did mine.

Especially in reference to the 3 thin strip trim pieces, I was able to take them out relatively easy considering there are like 20 screws behind there.

If you're handy with your tools, once you lie in the footwell, you will see that there is a a/c pipe that leads from the centre to the side airvents. Wiggle it back and forth. Eventually it will pop off and you can pull it out. This leave about a 3 inch gap that you can put your arm in and guide your screwdriver

Takes some time, but its much better than the other solutions, of drilling it or ripping it out.

Now that I have all my parts out, I'm getting a 3D pattern layered on it. It will be of a carbon fibre pattern, and will definitely be better than those sticker options.

Whilst the pattern wont match OEM exactly, it'll be 1/10th of the cost also. Once done, will attempt to post some pics here.

Cheers!

yeah i sprayed them in the car, i looked at a link somewhere to install the CF ones, and looks too much work.

well more work than it took me to paint them in the car

i didnt do the speakers because i believe that will make it look rice... :rolleyes:

interior pieces look nice, painting speakers...ehhh, no thank you. hehe

Edited by djomlas

Finally got the chance to look at removing some of these parts so far I have removed the door handle covers and it wasn't easy at all just like Chris mentioned. I managed to broke one of tabs and saved the other.

Now I have a few specific questions hope you guys could help me with some of them. Attached picture for reference.

5063bdhmod-1.jpg

1: Removing the door pocket lid as I understand does not require to remove the whole door panel, just need to tap out the metal hinge bar. correct? Is it simple to reverse the process for reinstall?

2: Do I need to remove the door panel in order to remove the door pull (or grab bar) "yellow highlight" ?

3: Removing side air vents - I undoed the two screws on the side. What else needs to loosened? and which direction to pull it out?

4: How exaclty to remove these silver bits in the blue highlighted area?

5: Both my front and rear boot release levers have scratches on them so I want to repaint them in silver. Any idea how to remove these? Or are they actually cheaper to replace with new parts from Porsche?

Appreciate any help.

Finally got the chance to look at removing some of these parts so far I have removed the door handle covers and it wasn't easy at all just like Chris mentioned. I managed to broke one of tabs and saved the other.

2: Do I need to remove the door panel in order to remove the door pull (or grab bar) "yellow highlight" ?

Panameras:

The door panel does NOT have to be removed in order to remove the grab bar.

Since you have already removed the door handle covers, you will have already exposed one of the two large torx screws that must be removed to get that grab bar off.

To access the other screw, you must remove the small vinyl/plastic semi-circular ring that is located just forward of your yellow arrow. Just slip in a small PLASTIC blade under the left side(as you are facing the inside of the drivers' side door) near its uppermost portion (just below that left corner) and then rotate the top of the part towards you with some friction. That semi-circular ring is flexible and has an "up" position that is indicated with an arrow on its underside, so you can't put it back wrong.

Once you have both large torx screws removed, just grab a hold of the grab bar and pull it towards the front of the door and it will slide right off. To re-install, you will see it has two hooked tabs on the bottom rearmost surface of the grab bar that fits into two slots on the top of the door pocket.

Regards, Maurice.

the answer to 4 is use a flat headed screwdriver, covered with a cloth, and pry away from the dash at the bottom

it's scary, but just be careful

once you do it once, it will be less intimidating

aloha

steve

Now I have a few specific questions hope you guys could help me with some of them. Attached picture for reference.

5063bdhmod-1.jpg

1: Removing the door pocket lid as I understand does not require to remove the whole door panel, just need to tap out the metal hinge bar. correct? Is it simple to reverse the process for reinstall?

3: Removing side air vents - I undoed the two screws on the side. What else needs to loosened? and which direction to pull it out?

4: How exaclty to remove these silver bits in the blue highlighted area?

5: Both my front and rear boot release levers have scratches on them so I want to repaint them in silver. Any idea how to remove these? Or are they actually cheaper to replace with new parts from Porsche?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks Steven and Maurice. Problem 2 and 4 solved :)

10637.jpg

To free this highlighted piece, does it require removing of the climate control and stereo units? I can see 4 screws there holding both units to it.

How do I remove the three vertical buttons and cigarette lighter on the trim pieces once they are separated from the dash?

Also any suggestions for the rest?

Edited by panameras

How do I remove the three vertical buttons and cigarette lighter on the trim pieces once they are separated from the dash?

for the 3 vertical buttons, they are locked into the plastic piece by a couple of 'ridges' or 'lips'. you basically need to carefully pry them out from the back side. one you release the button from one of the ridges, just push the button from the front out the back of the plastic piece.

the lighter is a pain in the butt to do. unclip the wiring harness from the back. you need to remove the little green light cover and another plastic piece. the lighter assembly is going to go from the back out the front of the plastic piece. there is a little cutout in the plastic hole that the lighter assembly rests in, and you kinda need to angle the assembly to get it to come out of the hole. be careful, it's easy to break stuff.

Also any suggestions for the rest?

you need to tap out 2 metal hinge bars as well as remove a spring. the spring is very easy to remove, you just push it off its mount with a screwdriver/pen/etc. re-install is very easy and is basically the reverse of removal (except i re-attached the spring after i had both hinge-pins back in.

On the passenger side, you need to gently pry (with a cloth covered screwdriver, credit card, plastic pry tool, etc.) the plastic circular piece underneath the vents out. there are a screw or two under there. on the driver's side, you need to unlock the headlight switch/button by pulling the switch out 1/2" then inserting a thin screwdriver into the little slot on the underside to unlock it and remove it. once you have the switch off, there is a screw under there (i think). as you are wiggling the air vent out, you will need to unclip a small wire harness, you will see it. (it is the wire that supplies power to light up the little headlight markings on the circular piece that surrounds the headlight switch.

you will also need to remove the headlight module (the piece that the headlight switch connects to) by unscrewing the large nut, then pulling the circular surround piece (the one that has the headlight/foglight markings on it) out a little bit while simultaneously turning the headlight module (from the back) 1/8th of a turn which will release it from the air vent.

i didn't remove this piece, but i'm pretty sure that you pop out the little fasteners facing the seat and then just pull up (gently). there are tabs underneath that fit into the carpet underneath this piece. you won't see them until you get the piece out, but i'm pretty sure that's what's holding that piece in. edit: oops, i thought you were talking about the piece that surrounds the trunk handles. but if you remove that piece, you should be able to see how the handles are attached.

Edited by Chris_in_NH

Thanks again Chris, you have been very helpful.

Most pieces have been removed relatively trouble free so far thanks to everyones inputs in this thread. However I have run into one problem. Removal of the center dash trim, two "outer" trims (ones with 3 vertical buttons) off, climate control unit off, how do you remove the stereo unit (or din)?

Edited by panameras

Anyone know what tools to use to remove the stereo unit? There are no screws attached from what I can see.

if it is just the radio (not the NAV system), you need 'radio keys' to remove the radio. they are two small aluminum 'keys' that you insert into little slots at the bottom corners of the radio. you can get them for $5 from http://www.beckerautosound.com and sometimes i see them on eBay for $10 or $15.

when the keys are inserted, they disengage the locking tabs on the sides of the radio, allowing you to slide it out. you will probably need to wiggle/rock the radio a bit to get it to slide out. protect your fingers with towels when you are using the keys. the metal is so thin that it will slice your fingers as you are rocking the radio out. i know this from experience...

when you have the radio most of the way out, you will need to unclip the wires in the back to remove it completely.

when you replace the radio, you need to remove the keys FIRST. press the little blue metal locking tabs on the sides of the radio and pull the keys out of the radio. then re-connect all the wires and slide the radio back into the slot. it will click when the locking tabs lock the radio in.

Anyone know what tools to use to remove the stereo unit? There are no screws attached from what I can see.

if it is just the radio (not the NAV system), you need 'radio keys' to remove the radio. they are two small aluminum 'keys' that you insert into little slots at the bottom corners of the radio. you can get them for $5 from http://www.beckerautosound.com and sometimes i see them on eBay for $10 or $15.

bought the "keys" from a Porsche dealer for $5 :)