Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need battery replacement help - please read

Please forgive this post as I know that batteries have been done to death at this point but I'm very confused. I've read though the following post ( http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;hl=battery) and run several different searches to read every thread I could find on batteries but without much luck answering my question.

The current battery in the car is the factory original 999.611.080.20

I've been to both Kragen and Pep Boys to have a look at their offerings. Both stores have 2 batteries listed. One is the size 48 which is substantially smaller than what is currently in the car. The other is the size 49 but is is 1" longer (13") than the current battery (12") and does not allow me to use the hold down as the bolt doesn't have a threaded hole to go into. Both sizes at both stores are about $90 plus tax. They are both something like 800 or 850 CCA.

Sitting on a slightly lower shelf was a Bosch size 94R battery which looks absolutely identical in both size and shape. Even has the drain tube hook up. My only concern with this battery is that it is listed as only 650CCA. Interestingly enough it is listed as the battery for a Boxster (don't remember what year).

Any thoughts on this one. I would really just prefer to replace like with like rather than something that is either smaller or larger than the factory original. The local dealer wants $200 plus tax w/out installation. And of course he needs several hours notice so that they can fill the battery and charge it.

I guess the simple question is: Does anyone know of a battery that matches up exactly with the original in both size, shape, and CCA? Is this Bosch size 94R the exact match?

Thanks, Corey

• Admin

You do know the battery tray has several holes for the hold down bolt?

All the size 48 batteries I have seen fit fine. Just make sure it has the vent tube and that you hook it up

Unless you have a huge stereo a 650 or 750 or 850 are all fine. Porsche factory batteries are 70 and 80 AH.

Okay - tried to do a little internet research and came up with a few images of what the size 94R looks like:

Duralast size 94R in an Audi - down about half way

Oh yeah, they Bosch 94R is something like $129 plus tax :angry:

Some basic information:

the 94R (650CCA, 810CA, 133RC, 80AH),

the 49 (875CCA, 1050CA, 185RC, 100AH)

Last question - anyone know what the CCA is on the original factory 999.611.080.20?

Thanks again, Corey

Thanks for the quick response Loren. Wasn't really expecting anything until tomorrow morning. I realize that the tray has several threaded bolt holes - three to be exact and then a 4th hole that is not threaded. I guess the way I was looking at it ==> Porsche for whatever reason used a large heavy battery which required the outermost bolt hole to be used. Just doesn't seem right to me to go with a physically smaller/shorter battery than it came with originally.

The original is 80Ah

• Moderators

I use to know this stuff, about 3 years ago. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;hl=threaded

Your battery is a european size. The batteries we talk about are US sized, and the sizes we talk about are 47, 48, and 49. Your 80 amp amp hour euro battery does not have a US sized match. If you want a US battery you get one that is a bit smaller than what you have (the 48), or a bit larger (the 49) than what you have. If you want an exact match on the size then you have to hunt around for a euro sized battery. We use the US sized batteries because you can go to just about any parts place and find them on the shelf.

You have seen the 49 and it is huge, plus the 4th hole in your battery tray is not threaded for this larger battery. As I said in the link, for some strange reason it is threaded only in a 1997 Boxster. So most people like you with the 80 amp hour Moll go with the smaller 48 rather than the larger 49.

And just think of all that weight you will saving and how much faster the car will be....

• Moderators

I went on the Douglas Battery website. They make US and euro size batteries. Years ago Douglas supplied Porsche with batteries that were used as replacements by the dealers if the battery was replaced under warranty.

The dimensions listed for a 94R are 12 3/8" length. Width 6 7/8". Height 7 1/2". I assume the "R" means it is a reverse terminal. I always thought the 80 amph hour Moll was a size 92, but according to the Douglas site the 94R and 92 have the same dimensions.

I don't have an 80 amp hour Moll battery handy to see if the dimensions are the same, so you will have to measure your battery. If the dimensions are the same let us know.

http://www.douglasbattery.com/PDFs/05-01-0...ion%20Sheet.pdf

Just measured the 80Ah Moll original. It is exactly the same as you posted above: 12 3/8" length. Width 6 7/8". Height 7 1/2"

I finally came to my senses though and just got the size 48 from Wal-Mart. It cost me about $60 to $65 with tax after I returned the core and it's 700 CCA. The Bosch size 94R which seems to be an exact match to the original was $119 plus tax and it's 650 CCA. Every book I looked at says the OEM battery spec is 650 CCA.

I figured the difference in money would pay for a tank of gas...

Thanks again everyone for the help,

Corey

Since you have to replace every battery in about 4-5 years I see no need to purchase an expensive one.

You just need a "good" one.

Here here, I would have to agree on this one. I have a Optima Red Warranty replacement new in box sitting in my garage. The original one died after my car was parked for 6 months.

I went to Advance Auto and bought their gold battery and I have not had the same problem. Including a 6 month period in my garage only being started for 10 minutes every 2 weeks same as before. So unless you really want 20,000 CCA or a 5lb battery just get the standard replacement, it even has the vent tube thingy. If you do go with a parts haus I would get their gold line as they stand by their warranty and it has saved me many times as I travel alot.

HTH ;)

Edited by ViolaGT3

• 2 weeks later...

Just went through this whole exercise on my 2004 996 C2 Cab. Bought a Sears Diehard Group 48 battery and it worked like a charm. Took 5 minutes to install and I could use a threaded hole to hold it down. The Group 49 that Pep Boys and Sears recommend is large and does not allow a threaded hole to be used. Use a group 48.

On reflection the Porsche OEM battery seems antiquated.

Simon

• 5 weeks later...

After about a couple of months of sitting in the garage and relatively low mileage for the last 12 months, it seems like the battery for my 2003 Boxster S is dead. I got it to start a few times after trickle-charging it, but now the battery won't even take a charge and only reads 9.8 Volts. Oh well, I guess it's about time for a new battery anyway.

I found this thread while looking for the right replacement battery and I just wanted to say that this is soooo helpful! The dealer wanted over $200 for a replacement battery and it does not even include installation. It seems easy enough to replace so I figured I'll just DIY this one. Thanks all for having done all the detective work so I can just ride on the coat tails of your success. :-)

Cheers,

- p.