Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cigarette Lighter R&R required on 99-01's? (the opening is too

Cigarette Lighter R&R required on 99-01's? (the opening is too

Just got a XM radio kit for the wife's car and it plugs in via cig lighter but the cig lighter opening is too big. I swear I remember reading that there was an adapter or R&R required for it to work with cig lighter power sources, etc.. It works just fine in the GT3 and it definitely feels that the lighter opening is much tighter. I checked the prongs and the fuse so I know it's not that. Tried a search but no luck. Anybody experience this? FYI....2000 C2CAB. TIA!

Edited by LVDell

So looking the the PET it looks like there is listed 2 different lighters:

-01 996 652 101 00

02- 996 652 101 10

as well as the socket (called a "headlight unit"...odd) they go into has 2 different ones as well:

-01 996 652 102 01

02- 996 652 102 10

Then there is an item listed below it in parens:

996 652 104 00 "tensioning sleeve"

Could this be what I am looking for???

Edited by LVDell

Stefan, thanks! Looks like it is just plug and play with the 02+ parts I listed above. Just a simple R&R.

Below is what they determined from your link........

Parts Needed:

You need both the lighted ring and the actual cigarette lighter insert. For some reason the new socket doesn't fit into the old lighted ring even though it looks like it should.

996-652-101-10-A05 Socket $7.88

996-652-102-10 Lighted retaining ring $4.20

To get the old one out:

-Pry off the switch panel

-Unplug the cigarette lighter plug from the back

-Hold the trim ring part while twisting the cigarette lighter cylinder to unhook the tabs

-Push the cigarette lighter cylinder out the front of the trim ring (it's pretty tight so you have to push hard)

-You can now pull the trim ring out (have to tilt it a little because the light is attached to it

Installation is very straightforward. Put the trim ring in, then slide in the cigarette lighter cylinder. Put the electrical plug into the back and snap the whole plate back in.

I have done this conversion several times. Once you understand how it works it is quite easy. However, many people have gotten stuck trying to figure out how to get the old parts separated. If you have trouble with my instructions or if they are clear enough I'd appreciate the feedback.

If you get stuck, post it here or send me a PM and I will try to give you a better description.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it replaced and everything works perfect! I can't believe I didn't do this years ago.

The parts that need to be purchased are:

99665210210 (list $18.18)

99665210110A05 (list $10.20)

I couldn't get the old one out easily without frustration and since I wasn't going to use it again I decided to just break off the offending piece (pic attached of black and green piece removed with wire cutters) so the old assembly would just slide out :)

post-315-1199465171_thumb.jpg

Edited by LVDell

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
FYI...prices seem to be a bit more as the link is almost 2 years old (3/06)! :)

996 652 101 10 $12.67

996 652 102 10 $6.78

Not if you buy from Sunset...

I completed the replacement, but none of the buttons on that panel work now (including door locks). It's pretty sweet when things like this happen for no reason. Any suggestions?

• Admin

996 652 101 10 $12.67

996 652 102 10 $6.78

I completed the replacement, but none of the buttons on that panel work now (including door locks). It's pretty sweet when things like this happen for no reason. Any suggestions?

Are you sure everything is plugged in the right places and there are no blown fuses?

996 652 101 10 $12.67

996 652 102 10 $6.78

Are you sure everything is plugged in the right places and there are no blown fuses?

If I had a diagram for correct plugging and knew what a blown fuse was, looked like, and where to find it, I'd be able to answer your question better. However, I'm super-layman to taking apart even the little P-things.

Does anyone have (1) lighter electrical plug and/or (2) fuse diagrams?

Thanks. I'd love to get some power out of my lighter for my new V1 (which I do plan to eventually hardwire).

• Admin

There should be a fuse diagram on the back of the fuse door panel (down by your left).

You will likely have to remove the fuse and hold it to light to see if it is blown (or measure it's continuity with a meter).

If you want power for your V1 use the telephone prep connector that is in all US/Canada cars. It has switched (power off when ignition is off) and unswitched (power always on).

I think you want switched power for your V1 so it will not run your battery down. The cigarette light is unswitched power - so it is always on.

Do a search here the telephone prep connector and V1 installation have been covered many times.

Loren, as always, you're a great help. The only thread I can find on V1 telephone hardwiring is "Another Valentine 1 hardwire installation," which I'm uncertain is the right instruction. Is there one thread you prefer over another for optimal installation you can easily point to? Thanks again.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I wish I'd read this before trying. Just taken an hour (and a chunk out of my palm) to upgrade to a silver centre trim panel and struggled with removing the lighter. Eventually removed it. I placed the trim panel face up and slowly pressed on the dash trim around the lighter unit to push it forwards through the front of the panel (after using a very small screw driver to ease any clips in place. More amazing it all worked when I put it in.

I also struggled with the rain sensor switch, but that was me being thick and thinking it couldn't be as simple as just pushing together the two plastic levers on the back....DOH!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting this! :thankyou: The weird size lighter socket on my '99 996 has been bugging me. Got the parts and did the install. Even with the excellent instructions, getting the old lighter out is still tricky.

One additional tip: When installing the new lighter, insert the clear ring into the dash trim ALL THE WAY before installing the metal cylinder assembly. If you click the clear ring and the metal cylinder together first, it makes the installation harder.

Also, I added a cigarette lighter flashlight, which is handy, and I think looks good. Got mine on Amazon, but they are available several places. Now it fits properly, as does my cell phone charger.

post-56687-073134600 1282329764_thumb.jp

• 3 years later...

Just did this and breaking off the black and green pieces from the old unit is definitely the way to go. That makes it a 5 minute job.

Oh yes, and it added 14.5 horsepower. :)

Edited by wyovino