Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID conversion issue

I just installed my new HID conversion kit and it looks outstanding! Now I am having some electrical issues. My oil and battery light come on, has anyone else had this problem? Please help, it's driving me nuts :)

Thanks,

We need more info.

What year Boxster?

Which kit did you buy?

I just installed my new HID conversion kit and it looks outstanding! Now I am having some electrical issues. My oil and battery light come on, has anyone else had this problem? Please help, it's driving me nuts :)

Thanks,

We need more info.

What year Boxster?

Which kit did you buy?

I have a 2001 Boxster. I bought the kit off of Ebay, i'm not sure the brand.

Kit included:

- H7 bulb (6000k)

- Balast

- install brackets

I read somewhere on this forum that someone had the same issue as me but there was no follow up post as to what the resolution was. Thanks!

When you revert back to the stock bulbs (bypassing the kit) do you still have the oil/battery light problem?

Thanks,

We need more info.

What year Boxster?

Which kit did you buy?

Kit included:

- H7 bulb (6000k)

- Balast

- install brackets

I read somewhere on this forum that someone had the same issue as me but there was no follow up post as to what the resolution was. Thanks!

No problems when I revert back.

When you revert back to the stock bulbs (bypassing the kit) do you still have the oil/battery light problem?

Thanks,

We need more info.

What year Boxster?

Which kit did you buy?

Kit included:

- H7 bulb (6000k)

- Balast

- install brackets

Thanks,

That was me who created another thread on the exact issue. My Oil and Batt lights come on together when the headlights are turned on. I then stop the car, and restart it and the problem is gone.

People have suggested that the problem is a faulty ground, but I doubt it. The headlights perform beautifully but this problem goes on and is annoying. Mine is ALSO a 2001. It is a direct hookup to the plug that connects to the original halogen low beam bulb as I recall. No rocket science. Wiring goes from ballast to igniter to bulb as instructed. I believe that there was some question re polarity, but I worked it out. I don't want to tamper with this thing again without a strong reasoning as to what could be wrong. Sounds to me like the HID system makes a heavy demand on the electrical system when swithed on, tricking the charging circuits sensors to think the battery is failing. Likely doesn't mean anything bad but is just an annoyance. I'll bet that if the lights are turned on before starting the engine that all will be well. My car is in mothballs for the winter so I can't experiment too extensively.

The kit is called Brightstar. I'll search out the original thread and write again really soon.

Bob

Search for "HID Retrofit lights in Stock Halogen housings" on this forum. That's the original thread. I chime in with the idiot light problem on page 5.

The purchasing website was http://www.cqlight.ca/index.php?cPath=32_45 . Brightstar HID is the only name on the instructions.

I wrote them the following today :

"More that one of us (owners of 2001 Porsche Boxsters) are writing to RennTech.org Forums describing a problem with our installed systems. When we switch on the headlights while the car is running the oil pressure and batt idiot lights come on together. If the car is shut off and restarted with the lights left on the idiot lights go off and all is well. Major annoyance. Can you help???"

I'll report any answers here.

Bob

Thanks, Bob.

Thanks,

That was me who created another thread on the exact issue. My Oil and Batt lights come on together when the headlights are turned on. I then stop the car, and restart it and the problem is gone.

People have suggested that the problem is a faulty ground, but I doubt it. The headlights perform beautifully but this problem goes on and is annoying. Mine is ALSO a 2001. It is a direct hookup to the plug that connects to the original halogen low beam bulb as I recall. No rocket science. Wiring goes from ballast to igniter to bulb as instructed. I believe that there was some question re polarity, but I worked it out. I don't want to tamper with this thing again without a strong reasoning as to what could be wrong. Sounds to me like the HID system makes a heavy demand on the electrical system when swithed on, tricking the charging circuits sensors to think the battery is failing. Likely doesn't mean anything bad but is just an annoyance. I'll bet that if the lights are turned on before starting the engine that all will be well. My car is in mothballs for the winter so I can't experiment too extensively.

The kit is called Brightstar. I'll search out the original thread and write again really soon.

Bob

I've been considering buying the kit from Eday also. I've got a 99, 996 C2. Has anyone installed this kit on a 99, 996 C2 and gotten this same problem? Does anyone know how close the electrical systems are in the 986 2001 vs 996 1999?

itzbob46's theory doesn't make sense to me. If just having this ballast in the system creates enough draw to make the start-up diagnostics think something is wrong then turning the lights on would make that error even worse, wouldn't it? And if there's that much draw and your in cold weather or any other reason you may need a few extra amps to turn it over or your battery is not 100%, then this could be a problem?

Thoughts? I am very interested in this one because my headlights are yellow and dim and I don't want to spend $3K for Xenon.

Thanks,

Gary

Edited by gary996

I've been considering buying the kit from Eday also. I've got a 99, 996 C2. Has anyone installed this kit on a 99, 996 C2 and gotten this same problem? Does anyone know how close the electrical systems are in the 986 2001 vs 996 1999?

itzbob46's theory doesn't make sense to me. If just having this ballast in the system creates enough draw to make the start-up diagnostics think something is wrong then turning the lights on would make that error even worse, wouldn't it? And if there's that much draw and your in cold weather or any other reason you may need a few extra amps to turn it over or your battery is not 100%, then this could be a problem?

Thoughts? I am very interested in this one because my headlights are yellow and dim and I don't want to spend $3K for Xenon.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary .... I doesn't make much sense to me either, and I wrote it. Just don't know what else it could be. These lights are supposed to use substantily less power to operate than the Halogens, but I think the draw is greater when they start (ignite), sort of like starting a motor.

Bob (itzbob46)

Bob,

Now that I think about it... you may be right. When you turn on florescent lights the ballast has an extra draw until they warm up and are fully bright, much like starting an electric motor with it's draw as it spool up. That said, if the lights are on and the draw is taken prior to the engine start up diagnostics, the start up ballast draw is gone before the diagnostics and therefore the electrical system looks normal. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Gary

Edited by gary996

I fixed my problem by ordering a resistor wiring harness from the folks I bought the kit from. I just installed it this weekend and no more issues.

Bob,

Now that I think about it... you may be right. When you turn on florescent lights the ballast has an extra draw until they warm up and are fully bright, much like starting an electric motor with it's draw as it spool up. That said, if the lights are on and the draw is taken prior to the engine start up diagnostics, the start up ballast draw is gone before the diagnostics and therefore the electrical system looks normal. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Gary

I fixed my problem by ordering a resistor wiring harness from the folks I bought the kit from. I just installed it this weekend and no more issues.

Bob,

Gary

Jaycenb .... Thanks for that piece of info. Right now I'm corresponding with the vendor and they are asking me if there is a capacitor in the harness with the fused line. I don't yet know and have asked them what it looks like before pulling it apart. They did not say if the capacitor should or shouldn't be there!!!

WHO did you buy the kit from??

Gary .... I have a feeling that your theory is correct, but of course that does not lead me to a solution. But thanks for the thought.

Bob

I bought if from "JAPANIMPORTSHOP888" on Ebay (US seller).

Bob,

Gary

Jaycenb .... Thanks for that piece of info. Right now I'm corresponding with the vendor and they are asking me if there is a capacitor in the harness with the fused line. I don't yet know and have asked them what it looks like before pulling it apart. They did not say if the capacitor should or shouldn't be there!!!

WHO did you buy the kit from??

Gary .... I have a feeling that your theory is correct, but of course that does not lead me to a solution. But thanks for the thought.

Bob

• 2 years later...

Hi

I fitted an HID kit and had all sorts of problems. The mileage went to zero and the clock went to 12 o clock every time I used the lights

First I tried a Canbus killer, that did not work

Then I got new Ballasts from another supplier, that did not work

I got refunds on all the bad bits

Finaly I got another kit which was guaranteed to work for the Boxster - and it did

I am in the UK so UK E Bay - Seller VISIONDP - item no 270490919248 - cost £72 with posage

E Bay Shop is VD lighting and performance

Good luck

Dave

Edited by aviator at elstree

• 4 weeks later...

to fix it you may need the relay kit that usually comes with the HID kit, my customer had the same problem, with radio and dash lights.

i install a relay kit to it and it works fine with no more problem. no clue why, because the ballast actually only draws 35watt..not compare to

stock 55watt.

to fix it you may need the relay kit that usually comes with the HID kit, my customer had the same problem, with radio and dash lights.

i install a relay kit to it and it works fine with no more problem. no clue why, because the ballast actually only draws 35watt..not compare to

stock 55watt.

Not sure what you mean by relay kit comes suplied - all the kits are the same. a bulb and ballast and some wires. I did try an extra device called a Canbus but that did not work either

In the end , after trying 3 kits, I found one that worked

It seems it is all in the ballast

• 2 weeks later...

Cheapo HID kits can be a problem because they are noisy and put a lot of interference into the car. I found this out when I installed a kit into my wife's Boxster. The solution is an RF filter (could also be a resistor, or more commonly a capacitor). Different kits and different cars may act differently. The good news is that these kits are cheap and easy to install, and mine worked great on my wife's Boxster. Here's the link to the installation on her car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/84-ELEC-HID/84-ELEC-HID.htm

Hope this helps,

-Wayne

I forgot to post earlier that I eventually gave up on the HID kit. Beyond the problems with my alt and oil warning lamps, it started affecting my spoiler! I'd get this thump, thump sound form the spoiler now and then. Yeah...hard to believe that there was a connection to that, but there was.

I gave up. Ripped the thing out and got a rufund. I like the original lighting much better now!!!!! P-cars are very sensitive in their electrical systems I guess.

Glad to hear that others have had success.

Bob

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I am very new to this site and last year I bought a 2002 Boxster 2.7. I fitted HID light kit which has the latest digital ballasts and is supposed to compatible with all Porsche models. The lights are great and give a really clear vew of the road, yet as my supprise when I turned them on and the generator light and oil pressure lights came on, also the spoiler was up and I had not moved from the car park.

I have investigated this in depth and the problem is the switch on spike in the power circuit which upsets the computers. I have now routed my power via a relay. The relay is controlled by one of the head lights and the power comes direct from the battery to both ballasts. This appears to cure the problem. Since my cars lights are not CAM monitored I only have to feed the relay from one light and do not need to fit load resistors to either for the monitoring circuit.

Hope this helps others...

• 2 months later...

Had the exact same issue.. HID conversion into my Boxster S headlights.

oil warning, charge warning and the spoiler came up..

Im glad its a common problem as I was about to buy a new battery, thinking my batt was not big enough to sustain all electrics happily.

Its def to do with the 'boot up' of the HIDs, when you turn them on WHILE revving the engine over say 3000rpm, the issue doesnt happen. I also noticed a crackle in the stereo when they power up as well.

I recently upgraded the foglights in my 7 series bmw which also did not like the HIDs - it also crackled in the stereo when they powered up in the exact same way, but i got no error lights.

I would expect a relay setup will solve the problem, just to do that, you would need to mount the ballasts somewhere properly, losing the sliding plug arrangement the 986 headlights have (i have my slim ballasts mounted inside the headlight housings).

I will most likely hunt down a relay set and mount the ballasts externally, as I am upgrading the driving lights to HIDs as well, meaning there wont be enough room for two sets of ballasts inside the headlights.

• Moderators

I cannot remember how many of these installs gone wrong have come into the shop in the last couple of years. Noise in the stereo, MIL lights on, one or both lights that would only fire up some of the time, all kinds of electrical issues, car won’t pass inspection, etc. etc.; I have really begun to wonder why people even bother………….