Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mobil 1 5W50

There is a very good article in the January 2008 Panorama, page 79 about motor oils. In there Allan Caldwell talks about a Mobil 1 5W50 that is the only 5W50 Porsche "approved/listed". Does anyone here use this oil? Can it be purchased in the USA?

There is a very good article in the January 2008 Panorama, page 79 about motor oils. In there Allan Caldwell talks about a Mobil 1 5W50 that is the only 5W50 Porsche "approved/listed". Does anyone here use this oil? Can it be purchased in the USA?

Hello.

I'm using it on a '97 Boxster without any problem.

This oil can resist to higher temp than the 0W40.

It's available at Wal-Mart in 5 litres and 1 litre.

Best regards.

I haven't seen it. As I'm sure you are aware, it's not currently listed on USA mobiloil.com (here).

After an oil change, it seems my 3.2L would have lifter clatter for a second or two. I have been programmed to use Mobil1 over the years, so I would have liked to find an M1 5W-50 on the shelf. In its absence, I was leaning towards an unapproved oil change, a la Jeff (http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...unapproved++oil).

Instead, I sort of split the difference and at my last change I used 6 quarts of 0W-40 and 3 quarts of EP (gold cap) 15W-50. I think this equates roughly to 5W-45; I base this on very rudimentary knowledge gleaned from various internet oil-gurus (allegedly, anyway) and an oil blend calculator at Shell.com (which I can no longer find). Anyway, no clatter at start-up this time. YMMV.

--Brian

Hello.

Best regards.

El Acura, are you sure? Wal*Mart? I asked about 5W50 not 15W50. I don't even see it listed on Mobil's USA web-site. Thanks!

Hello.

Best regards.

El Acura, are you sure? Wal*Mart? I asked about 5W50 not 15W50. I don't even see it listed on Mobil's USA web-site. Thanks!

Hello.

I got Mobil 1 5W50 at Wal-Mart for $36 in 5 litres here in Canada.

I was expecting them to have the same stock in US...

Best regards.

list of Mobil1 in Canada

post-24675-1200760603_thumb.jpg

Edited by El Acura

.................. I base this on very rudimentary knowledge gleaned from various internet oil-gurus (allegedly, anyway) and an oil blend calculator at Shell.com (which I can no longer find). ........

I bookmarked the URL when I found it because I knew that I would never be able to find it again!!!

http://www.shellglobalsolutions.teshosting...lending_pop.asp

Here's another URL for those of us who like playing with oil parameters:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/3655/index.html

This place lets you calculate VI's and other stuff related to temperature/viscosity.

Regards,

paul...

Hi,

yes Mobil 1 5w-50 is the only SAE50 viscosity lubricant Approved by Porsche. It is an excellent lubricant with a long history. It ia available in most Countries except the USA

Mixing most Mobil 1 products to achieve a "supplementary" viscosity can be done without the risk of loosing the benefits of the overall base fluid/additive package

There are two exceptions to this however. M1 0w-40 and M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 (non Approved) should not be mixed with other Mobil 1 lubricants if you wish to retain their unique and quite sophisticated formulation

I use the "parent" of M1 TDT 5w-40 - it is a Commercial lubricant called Delvac 1 5w-40

Regards

Doug

So is Mobil1 5w50 'officially' approved for use in the Boxster's (2006 2.7l) engine?

If Walmart (Canada) carries it for $36 it would be a bargain! I have only found 0w40 in 1 liter containers; $9 each!

Now all I have to do is find a 74mm x 14 flute wench to remove the darn canister cover! Do you think a strap would be safe to use?

• Admin
So is Mobil1 5w50 'officially' approved for use in the Boxster's (2006 2.7l) engine?
Yes, it is on the Porsche approved oil list (that you as a Contributing Member have access to).

Now all I have to do is find a 74mm x 14 flute wench to remove the darn canister cover!
Here in the states you can find a 74 mm 14 flute wrench at Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys, etc. Just about everybody has them as the same size fits Mercedes and BMW.

Yes, it is on the Porsche approved oil list (that you as a Contributing Member have access to).

Now all I have to do is find a 74mm x 14 flute wench to remove the darn canister cover!
Here in the states you can find a 74 mm 14 flute wrench at Autozone, Kragen, Pep Boys, etc. Just about everybody has them as the same size fits Mercedes and BMW.

Loren, thanks for the reminder about the document access... Just need to figure which viscosity is the best choice.

As for the filter wrench, would you beleive that I have been to every store that I can think of here in Victoria and no one carries a 74mm x 14 flute version! Frustrating to say the least, hence my question about the strap style wrench!

Hi,

Weastcoaster - The best viscosity for you (and most of us) is 0w-40. If you track the car then the 5w-50 version of M1 could be considered depending on the prevailing ambient temperature

The Group 4/5 structure of M1 0w-40 is its great strength and why it is being increasing used by other Manufacturers as a Factory fill

M1 0w-40 is one of the best lubricants ever made and at any price

Regards

Doug

Hi,

Weastcoaster - The best viscosity for you (and most of us) is 0w-40. If you track the car then the 5w-50 version of M1 could be considered depending on the prevailing ambient temperature

The Group 4/5 structure of M1 0w-40 is its great strength and why it is being increasing used by other Manufacturers as a Factory fill

M1 0w-40 is one of the best lubricants ever made and at any price

Regards

Doug

Great feedback Doug, where I live the climate is much like that of Sydney, rarely snows, right now the night-time lows are around -3 (unusually, normally +3)... This summer I would like to try another DE or 2 and then the temperature will be closer to 25 degrees, is this what you refer to 'if you track your car'? And what is 'Group 4/5 structure'?

The difference in cost between 0w40 ($9) and 5w50 ($6.60), about $20 for the fill, so the best choice would win over cost...

Just need to find that filter wrench!

Hi,

Westcoaster - IMO your best bet is to stay with M1 0w-40

Once out of warranty Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 (Delvac 1 5w-40) is a very good lubricant in these engines. It is as suitable as M1 5w-50 in the occasional DE due to its superior High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) viscosity over M1 0w-40. I use this lubricant all year round in the Northern QLD Tropics where I live

M1 0w-40 is around $A108 for 5 litres

Delvac 1 5w-40 is around $A85 for 5 litres

Group 4 refers to the PAO structure of the base fluid and Group 5 refers to the ester base or (content). Both these lubricants are

Group 4 base with around +/-20% ester content

Regards

Doug

Edited by Doug H

Hi,

Westcoaster - IMO your best bet is to stay with M1 0w-40

Once out of warranty Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 (Delvac 1 5w-40) is a very good lubricant in these engines. It is as suitable as M1 5w-50 in the occasional DE due to its superior High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) viscosity over M1 0w-40. I use this lubricant all year round in the Northern QLD Tropics where I live

M1 0w-40 is around $A108 for 5 litres

Delvac 1 5w-40 is around $A85 for 5 litres

Group 4 refers to the PAO structure of the base fluid and Group 5 refers to the ester base or (content). Both these lubricants are

Group 4 base with around +/-20% ester content

Regards

Doug

Thanks again Doug, I will probably stick with the 0w40 although 5w50 is tempting especially when Walmart has it on for $32.76 per 5 liter jug! Is that a typo, 0w40 down there is $108 dollars (Australian)?! If so I can't complain!

I saw the 5W50 in Walmart today during my business trip to Toronto. It was on sale for $33 for a 5 litres jug.

Hello White987.

The main reason that I use 5W50, it's because I need to control oil consumption during summer driving.

My car has almost 125 000km, and it needs good lubrication and wear protection like the 5W50 provide.

Fact are that 5W50 is heavier in viscosity at room temp and under running condition.

0W40 remain liquid until -54 ºC with a viscosity of 105 at 40 ºC

5W50 remain liquid until -51 ºC with a viscosity of 80 at 40 ºC

What I've notice is that the oil consumption is gone...

Best regards.