Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Hatch Window

had a free day today so tried to finish an old project....

hopefully wont get to loud and hot in the cabin but i love the way the intake manifold looks with red paint

the pix will show a synopsis of the steps i went through...

tapeing took a while before the paint....cutting the hatch was tedious cause didnt have a template and wasnt sure how big of a hole to cut........the lexan cutting, riveting was easy,.... figuring how to make the lexan hold stabile was the most time consuming.....

if any of you are wanting to do the same....i could give measurements so it goes faster....

if your not a diy'er....check out adrenaline motor sports = http://www.adrenalineautomotive.com

enjoy

ric

engine hatch window

Edited by rxbox

Excellent job, I like the black framing better, it is to bad you cannot see it better with the top down.

I was going to do that with the compartment hatch behind the seats. It would take a lot of spacing or molding of the Lexan or plexiglas to the match the curvature of the hatch. I suggest Lexan due to it's potential to withstand blast.

I wonder... if you were to put another piece of plexiglass on the inside would it deaden the sound, using the air pocket as an insulator.

Still all in all an excellent job by you... man, I hope the maker of the idea doesn't see what kind of money you have saved [DIY] or maybe he should, might wake him up, he seems a little steep...

I wonder how he plans on painting the intakes. Maybe his price is the cost of flying out to each person to paint :D

Edited by mrmickeymouse

Hey tool pants. I noticed you had a picture, with you near a carbon fiber hood on a boxster or a 996.

I have a question for you:

1. Is it considerable lighter.

2. Looks - [is it kind of weird looking] I have a red Boxster and it seems like I have had an accident, and I am using a filler hood, until mine gets fixed.

I would appreciate your opinion.

adsach

hey...i went back and paintbrushed the letters on....i have a decal guy that said he could place them on so theres no brush marks but as long as i dont enter a concours...cant notice brush unless 1 foot away....

the second layer of lexan is a good idea.....but that hose pushes up right against it already....i drove around today and it was louder but not to the point where you cant converse with the passenger.......mostly hear detail sounds of the engine....very mild tappets....vacuum in acceleration....which i kinda like(put an hks blowoff valve in the volvo and love when it goes "kwoosh"

i do have a supercharger from tpc coming in may if i play my cards right and that sound just might outdo the bov

i love this car!

• Moderators

When I did my 30k service a few years ago I removed both covers and started the car to see what it sounded like. Good. Then I got the bright idea of driving the car around like that to see what it sounded like and put the top up so that the plastic window would not melt. I got 2 blocks down the street and I melted from all the heat.

The hoses are the protective rubber padding for the shift cables. You can push down on them more if you want.