Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Loren,

I have two bulbs need replacing in my dash. I asked my dealer but he said I would need to remove them from the dash in order for him to tell which ones they are. This is a hassle. I was hoping to just remove dash and replace bulbs in one fell sweep. I can't believe he can't look them up.

Anyway......

ANy chance of the part numbers for the bulbs:

seat belt warning light: 4th from the right on ROW 2000 C2

back light behind mileage counter LCD (upper far left ROW 2000 C2)

Cheers mate,

Berny

• Moderators

The warning/idiot lights have a black holder and are 1.2 wats. The LCD illumination bulbs have a tan bulb holder and are 1.5 watts. Loren has the part numbers. You can remove these from the back of the cluster

The bulbs that light up the analog gauges are 3 watts. They have a green holder, which is not part of the bulb, as you can replace just the bulb. But to change these you have to open up the cluster to get to them.

I also have not been able to find the first two style bulbs at local car parts places. We have had reports that they are also used by BMW and Volvo. The Porsche instrument cluster is made by VDO and I suspect they make clusters for other car companies.

post-2-1083080492_thumb.jpg

Geeze you guys are good!

The tan one below the blue connector is the one I need for the LCD backlight and the I need one black one for the seatbelt.

Jeff, the pic above is confusing a bit. Maybe its a ROV vs US change.

But on my dash tke 4 blulbs from the left (looking at it from the back like in your pic) are Cab top warning, roll-ver protection, airbag, seat belt. I guess this pic is from a none-cab dash pod. But where is the seat belt warning lamp?

Anyway many thanks guys.

• Moderators

My picture is a US Boxster for reference purposes. I put the blue line to no particular bulb - but I think I happened to use the ABS. Have no idea which one is for the seat belt on a UK car but if you send me your cluster I will take it apart for you.

post-2-1083086396_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

The bulbs are all 12 volts. On other message boards guys have been putting in LEDs.

I just swaped the instrument cluster on my old Toyota truck. At night the illumination is green. The clear bulbs have these little rubber green covers. Same illumination bulb is used by Porsche. I have seen these covers for different size bulbs at the auto parts place. Also saw different color bulbs.

So you can change the color without switching to LEDs.

post-4-1170781995_thumb.jpg

post-4-1170782011_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

This question is a little on/off the subject... I just finished up pulling my cluster out to investigate a backlight bulb. Sure enough it was bad. I figure that is an easy enough fix. However, while waiting for the new bulb to arrive, I put everything back together. At this point I noticed my ashtray light was out. It may have been before, but I'm not sure. I happened to have an extra one so I swaped it out. No luck. So I started to look around. Also noticed my cigarette lighter surround light is not working. I can only assume that they are directly related to the removal of the cluster backlight. Does anyone know if this is the case. Obviously I will find out when I put the new bulb in, but if I have to get parts, I would like to do it in one trip. As much as I enjoy going to the dealership, it is over an hour away. Thanks for the help...

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just opened my cluster (2003 996TT) and it seems that the warning lights are all small LED. I guess I should stop here as it would be impossible to change those? I have to change my broken clock shaft anyways so I am happy I have gotten this far. Your kind attention on this would be appreciated as I have my cluster open in my living room!!! 🙂