Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bad Clutch vs. Slave cylinder

Sitting here waiting for the verdict on a clutch issue.

At 30k, car suddenly became hard to shift in every gear, slipped a bit if you really got on it. Also had a very slow return on the clutch pedal when depressed. Didn't see any leaks, but found hydraulic fluid about 3/4 inch below the low line, and had a bit of smell. Car was a PCNA car the first 14000 miles, never titled, supposedly never tracked (I have it in writing from dealer) and only driven by a little old Porsche guy on Sunday. If true, I'm thinking 30K is **** early to go and hopping mad, I put 70K on my old 911 without doing a clutch replacement at all.

Any ideas as to whether its the slave cylinder or the clutch? They couldn't find anything external to the bell housing and told me its $1295 to tear it apart and see, a freebee if it's the slave, and $895 to reassemble with new clutch kit if clutch is not.

I've come to expect that level of cost from the dealer, but as long as its apart, even if it's just the slave and clutch et al looks ok, should I have them pop in a new clutch/PP/Bearing, or ride it out?

Thanks, Scott

let me guess - cracked pressure plate? hope not but tell us the results. if you are changing clutch may as well do RMS , not much extra

There is another school of thought that holds that if the RMS is not leaking, do not replace it. But, by all means have it and the IMS seal and bolts inspected. YMMV.

Regards, Maurice.

let me guess - cracked pressure plate? hope not but tell us the results. if you are changing clutch may as well do RMS , not much extra

There is another school of thought that holds that if the RMS is not leaking, do not replace it. But, by all means have it and the IMS seal and bolts inspected. YMMV.

Regards, Maurice.

SA321 you're really close. They claim no issue with slave, but that some of the fingers on the pressure plate were bent causing the problem.

They also say it has to be abuse, which is a hoot because I've been dinking along on winter tires gingerly avoiding the winter city potholes for the last three months, and have always babied the poor girl anyway.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about that :)

Regards, Maurice.

SA321 you're really close. They claim no issue with slave, but that some of the fingers on the pressure plate were bent causing the problem.

They also say it has to be abuse, which is a hoot because I've been dinking along on winter tires gingerly avoiding the winter city potholes for the last three months, and have always babied the poor girl anyway.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about that :)

Since you know you haven't abused the car, here's a good place to start:

If your car is under warranty and they are claiming abuse, ask them to give you a detailed written explanation of how your operation of the clutch pedal actually caused some of the fingers on the pressure plate to bend (and not others).

Regards, Maurice.

this "abuse" argument is a load of crap. bend fingers will only come from cracked pressure plate (look at pic). I had exactly the same. Porsche eventually admitted defective part but they claimed that I "have changed clutch myself" before the problem happened!?!?! and so no warranty in my case... as far as abusive driving i am in your camp (i get more than 20k for a set of tires...)

post-20455-1204104941_thumb.jpg

this "abuse" argument is a load of crap. bend fingers will only come from cracked pressure plate (look at pic). I had exactly the same. Porsche eventually admitted defective part but they claimed that I "have changed clutch myself" before the problem happened!?!?! and so no warranty in my case... as far as abusive driving i am in your camp (i get more than 20k for a set of tires...)

Thanks guys, I have all the parts but have been out of town and haven't opened up the box yet to see what the pressure plate looks like, but will pursue it with PCNA and let you know.

If the pressure plate looks interesting I'll post the pix. Oddly, the clutch itself was in fine shape.

I have a heard time figuring the warranty stuff out - they look all over for anything they can do - this trip I got a new muffler and truch actuator without raising the issues - but when they get anywhere near something that maybe, could be, don;t wanna set a precedent they want to play hard ball about it even though they can;t know what's going on. But I expect they have non-published guidelines to work from, right?