Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket Sound system 996

Hi,

I am a relatively new member and this is my 1st post. I've learned SO much here about my beloved 99, C4 Cabriolet. Recently I upgraded the stock stereo and I figured I would share my experiences, in an effort to give back a little. Here it goes...

I swapped the stock stereo for the following components;

Alpine IVA-W205 2 din unit, and Dock and roll PMDB200 blackbird navigation module

Alpine PDX 2-150 power amp

Alpine SPR17s 6-1/4 speakers in the doors

Alpine SPs10 C2 4" in the dash

Alpine SPs 69 C2 6 x 9 in the rear side panels.

The system is really nice. It allows full use of a 5th generation Ipod 30gig. Added was the high speed Ipod cable. It works great. The stock stereo was removed, the AC/heat controls were relocated to the very bottom of the console. This made room for the Alpine head unit. An upper shelf was added above the AC/Heat control in place of the CD holder.

The speakers in the dash and the doors were swaps and made a big difference. The amp provides good clean power. From mids to highs the whole car is crisp. The biggest surprise was added today and that was the Alpine SPC 6x9's. The installer removed the rear speakers and had to cut the existing panel hole a little bigger after the stock speakers/grills were removed. The Alpine 6x9's were fit in using the mounting ring on the outside of the panel thereby extending the speakers out roughly 3/4" from the outer edge of the panel. It was neccesary to do this because the depth of the speaker (roughly 3-1/16") needed this. After everything was installed we tested the sound to see if i needed to run a subwoofer in the front trunk with a vent into the cabin. The Subwoofer was NOT neccesary at all. The sound that I get from the 6x9's is AMAZING!!! The bass is strong and accurate. You can feel it in your chest. Now the sound covers the full gammet. From Lows to highs, it is an extremely high end system that didnt break the bank.

If you want a major sound upgrade that wont change the inside cosmetics of the 996 all that much, this is it! I am extremely happy with the system. Even more happy with the job the dealer/installer did. I live in New Jersey and the firm I used for the project was Zippo's of South Plainfield. Anthony is the manager and he did the install with some assistance from his guys. The whole project cost me $2081.00. That includes; Head unit with nav, 6 speakers and amplifier. All components are Alpine except for the grills on 6x9's which are JL audio. I needed something a little better than the stock Alpine grills because the Alpine grills dont cover the speaker. I have a 7 year old that sits back there and I need the 6x9 speakers in the rear panels covered and Kid proofed...

I would recommend this setup and vendor for anyone who wants a professionally installed system that sounds incredible. You dont need a sub. The 6x9's in the side rear panels add plenty of low end bass for my taste. Its a small cabin. You dont need as much as you think.

I hope I helped and I am sorry if I rambled too much...

All the best to everyone,

Joe DeNisco

Hi,

I am a relatively new member and this is my 1st post. I've learned SO much here about my beloved 99, C4 Cabriolet. Recently I upgraded the stock stereo and I figured I would share my experiences, in an effort to give back a little. Here it goes...

I swapped the stock stereo for the following components;

Alpine IVA-W205 2 din unit, and Dock and roll PMDB200 blackbird navigation module

Alpine PDX 2-150 power amp

Alpine SPR17s 6-1/4 speakers in the doors

Alpine SPs10 C2 4" in the dash

Alpine SPs 69 C2 6 x 9 in the rear side panels.

The system is really nice. It allows full use of a 5th generation Ipod 30gig. Added was the high speed Ipod cable. It works great. The stock stereo was removed, the AC/heat controls were relocated to the very bottom of the console. This made room for the Alpine head unit. An upper shelf was added above the AC/Heat control in place of the CD holder.

The speakers in the dash and the doors were swaps and made a big difference. The amp provides good clean power. From mids to highs the whole car is crisp. The biggest surprise was added today and that was the Alpine SPC 6x9's. The installer removed the rear speakers and had to cut the existing panel hole a little bigger after the stock speakers/grills were removed. The Alpine 6x9's were fit in using the mounting ring on the outside of the panel thereby extending the speakers out roughly 3/4" from the outer edge of the panel. It was neccesary to do this because the depth of the speaker (roughly 3-1/16") needed this. After everything was installed we tested the sound to see if i needed to run a subwoofer in the front trunk with a vent into the cabin. The Subwoofer was NOT neccesary at all. The sound that I get from the 6x9's is AMAZING!!! The bass is strong and accurate. You can feel it in your chest. Now the sound covers the full gammet. From Lows to highs, it is an extremely high end system that didnt break the bank.

If you want a major sound upgrade that wont change the inside cosmetics of the 996 all that much, this is it! I am extremely happy with the system. Even more happy with the job the dealer/installer did. I live in New Jersey and the firm I used for the project was Zippo's of South Plainfield. Anthony is the manager and he did the install with some assistance from his guys. The whole project cost me $2081.00. That includes; Head unit with nav, 6 speakers and amplifier. All components are Alpine except for the grills on 6x9's which are JL audio. I needed something a little better than the stock Alpine grills because the Alpine grills dont cover the speaker. I have a 7 year old that sits back there and I need the 6x9 speakers in the rear panels covered and Kid proofed...

I would recommend this setup and vendor for anyone who wants a professionally installed system that sounds incredible. You dont need a sub. The 6x9's in the side rear panels add plenty of low end bass for my taste. Its a small cabin. You dont need as much as you think.

I hope I helped and I am sorry if I rambled too much...

All the best to everyone,

Joe DeNisco

This is the exact HU I plan to install in my 99 C2 Cab. Please post pics of the HU and rear speaker installs as I'm very curious on how they made up the trim for the console. Thanks!

RotorHead

This is the exact HU I plan to install in my 99 C2 Cab. Please post pics of the HU and rear speaker installs as I'm very curious on how they made up the trim for the console. Thanks!

RotorHead

Hi, Here are the pics you requested.

Joe D.

post-26625-1204502119_thumb.jpg

post-26625-1204502137_thumb.jpg

post-26625-1204502158_thumb.jpg

Joe,

Did you have to modify the door openings any? I understand the factory speakers are 5 1/4". Do you have pics of the door & dash speakers as well?

RotorHead

Hi,

I am not sure. When I asked the installer what he put in he doors, he said he put in the 6-1/4". The stock grills are in place and nothing looks modified at all.

JD

I'd like to replace my stock sound system and add NAV too.

Im seeing used porsche PCM's (DVD + NAV and no fiber optics) on auction sites for around $600. What would be wrong with going that direction? Is the sound quality crap? Are there issues with the stock PCMs? I have zero experience with this hardware. Any insights appreciated.

Edited by vette67

Max,

Sweet set up. I think you've convinced me to go with the W205/B200 combo, looks pretty killer and available for under $1,200. Thanks for sharing!

I am so glad to help. Its a nice setup. I cannot overemphasize enough the difference the 6x9's made in the back. Monday night I did some spirited (to put it lightly) driving with the top down and the bass stays in the car and sounds amazing. Bruce Springsteen's "Human Touch" sounds unreal.

One more thing, The W505 is coming out in April. I already bought the 1st one due in, so I'll be sure to let you all know how that works out.

Thanks, Joe D.

• 1 month later...
Max,

Sweet set up. I think you've convinced me to go with the W205/B200 combo, looks pretty killer and available for under $1,200. Thanks for sharing!

I am so glad to help. Its a nice setup. I cannot overemphasize enough the difference the 6x9's made in the back. Monday night I did some spirited (to put it lightly) driving with the top down and the bass stays in the car and sounds amazing. Bruce Springsteen's "Human Touch" sounds unreal.

One more thing, The W505 is coming out in April. I already bought the 1st one due in, so I'll be sure to let you all know how that works out.

Thanks, Joe D.

*****UPDATE*****

The Alpine IVA- W505 head unit was installed yesterday. I've had a month or so to live with the existing sound system and I decided that while the car was in, I'd have the system revamped a bit. The additions/replacements were as follows;

IVA 505 replaced the IVA 205.

The 4x150 Alpine power amp replaced the 2x150

I added the imprint processor

I added the Bill Jeuhle subwoofer enclosure with an 8" JL Audio sub.

All work was done as professionally as possible by Anthony @ Zippo's car stereo in South Plainfield NJ.

First let me say, the W505 is light years better then the W205. The Ipod controls are unbelievable. I believe the installer ran the USB connection to the Ipod. The ipod control is so smooth, it almost feels like its not a separate unit. It feels like its part of the 505. The Album art displays on the screen nicely. The touch screen is better than the 205's in the sense that it reacts quicker and more positively to the touch. The bluetooth connects to my phone without a glitch and using it is a real treat. Moving from screen to screen is flawless. The whole system has a much more "professional" feel to it. The installer tuned the system with the imprint unit. The processor has made the stereo sound as if its not installed in the inside of a little Porsche anymore. The soundstage is big and the music is well centered, fuller and even more accurate than before. Its unbelieveable. Alpine has listened to the consumer and put together a top-notch system. It even has 4 different screen colors to match the interior of most cars. (Amber, Magenta, Blue and Green).

The subwoofer enclosure is JUST what the car needed. The molded plastic box comes barebones from Bill Juehle (billjehle.com). My installer carpeted the outside and sprayed the grill black. He fitted the box into the front passenger footwell and bolted it down. He installed a JLAudio 8" sub. It sounds WAY bigger than any 8" I've ever heard. Probably because the interior is so small. Trust me, you dont need any more than this 8" in the Porsche. The car now has bottom end in the sound. The fullness is incredible. The accuracy of the sound is great. No distortion, buzzing or false artifacts in the sound. Just clean fullness, with crisp highs and pounding (yes, Pounding) lows.

In order to power the sub, my Installer had to change the 2x150 amp to the Alpine 4x150. What a difference that made. The clarity and power are amazing. The gain is only at the halfway point. My installer recommended this because he felt it would provide the cleanest power obtainable, while running very cool in the process.

A word about the installer. If you live close to South Plainfield New Jersey, Zippo's is the only choice for professional sales/service and installation. Anthony who is the manager will take care of you. He really cares about what you want and he will set himself on fire getting it done for you. Trust me, I am just a customer and have NO stake in this whatsoever. Anthony is TOP-NOTCH. He knows Porsches and he will do a good job for you.

All I can say is, this is the best sound system I've ever heard in the best car I've ever driven. I am as happy as can be. I hope that my experiences help anyone else interested.

• 3 months later...

I just finshed my stereo system upgrade in my 996 cab.

Here's what I installed...

> Avic Z3

> Alpine PDX-5 (4 Channel x Mono power)

> FOCAL K2 Power 13 KS 5" Subwoofers in doors

> FOCAL K2 Power 100 KP 4" component speakers for dash

> Hertz HCX 100 4" coaxial speakers in rear

I didn't cut any new holes in the car just used the existing speaker holes and grills. Even re-used the stock woofer enclosures that are embedded each door.

The amp is sweet. Very compact and the sound + power with the speaker set up is amazing.

The speakers are phenomenal! If you haven't heard FOCALs yet, please do listen to them and you'll be blown away.

With such a small cabin space in the Carrera, in my opinion, it's worth to get the best compact speakes available instead of getting bigger speakers which would be overkill. You must hear the set up to believe. The sound dynamics are perfect, even with the top down!

By the way, if you need a killer stereo installer for Porsches, contact Tony at zdesigner02@yahoo.com. Tony installed my system and he did a killer job. He knows Porsche's well and he takes pride in his work.

post-18347-1219049185_thumb.jpg

post-18347-1219049199_thumb.jpg

post-18347-1219049216_thumb.jpg

post-18347-1219049222_thumb.jpg

Edited by zeek996

Just my preference: all of these systems seem like great additions, BUT, there is something to be said for keeping my P-Car completely original. I show my car once in awhile (04C4S) and the judges are very against moving the original units, and adding and cutting out for speakers. Believe it or not, it devalues the car when selling it, especially to an "officinato" P-Car person. The way I have been told to upgrade the system is to replace the unit with an upgraded Becker Sound USA unit that is MP3/iPod capable such as the BECKER p224, and replace the speakers with the same size, and add an amplifier in the the trunk.

I know that this is not something you want to hear, but the adds in the PCA magazine are full of people searching for the stock radio parts, to make their cars original...... Just a note of caution!

Thanks for the feedback but the truth of the matter is that Porsche builds an incredible autiomobile that cannot be matched but their sound systems are weak in my opinion. Many Porsche owners expect the best and that's why we drive a Porsche which doesn't mean that we should compromise the audio system which is not Porsche's core competency. My 2 cents.