Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Filler tube installation

On my 2000 Boxster S, I noticed oil leaking around one end of the oil filler tube. So I was looking online for a part and notied that the parts diagram seemed to show that the "flex" end of the hose was mounted towards the engine. Mine seems to be the opposite. Could mine be put on backwards? It appears to have been replaced by the previous owner, as the tube has plastic wrap and the Porsche parts label still on it.

Here is the pic:

post-10869-1205769074_thumb.jpg

Here is the parts diagram:

post-10869-1205769375_thumb.jpg

It does look like yours is installed backwards. Very interesting.

It looks to me like somebody broke the tube and taped it ( :o ) as a fix. Which is probably why it's leaking. Is the tape / plastic wrap covering the corrugated portion? It's hard to tell in the picture.

Edited by John V

It does look like yours is installed backwards. Very interesting.

It looks to me like somebody broke the tube and taped it ( :o ) as a fix. Which is probably why it's leaking. Is the tape / plastic wrap covering the corrugated portion? It's hard to tell in the picture.

John,

Is yours installed the other way?

I've seen other pictures now with them installed like mine. Maybe the parts diagram is wrong.

It looks like that plastic is part of the Porsche parts label. The edge of the white label can be seen in this picture, before I pulled it off.

You can just see the edge of the "flex" part of the tube.

post-10869-1205785438_thumb.jpg

I turned your photo to orient myself. This is a shot if standing by the passenger rear tire. The red arrow (A) is pointing towards your middle oil filler tube. This tube connects just inside the engine compartment near the trunk and goes forward toward the engine. It connects to another tube (red arrrow on right) that actually ends and empties into the engine, just underneath your air intake. The tube (red arrows-A) is installed correctly and it looks like the mesh sock is missing. The mesh sock protects this tube from heat. It appears someone replaced the messed sock with some type of tape (maybe reflective tape) to protect the tube or a poor replacment of the mesh sock. The blue arrow connects the AOS and runs to the throttle body. I refer to it only to make sure you are not referring to it as it is accordian in nature too.

oiltube.jpg

I hope this helps! Good luck and keep us posted.

K.Brandsma

'98 Porsche

Everett, WA

Yes, that is the correct orientation and (A) is what I am referring to. The clear plastic is what the Porsche parts label was stuck to, like it was part of the label and should have been taken off.

I don't see this "sock" on the parts diagram anywhere. Anyone know a part number?

I'm curious though. It seems like the more flexible end should be closer to the engine since that is where most of the vibration and flexing will occur. I wonder if it fits both ways?

The flex in the oil filler tube is not there to handle vibration but to make the tight corner immediately after leaving the trunk. Here is a shot of mine (without) the mesh sock. The photo is from the underneath side. I had my tranny out to replace the RMS and clutch this winter and also replaced the oil filler tubes. You can also see my label from this angle. The oil filler tube can only go in one way and matches the slots or groves for the keys on each tube on the ends respectively.

Sunset Porsche can get the part no and price for the mesh sock. The price of the middle tube is about $25 plus shipping from Sunset.

K. Brandsma

'98 Porsche

Everett, WA

IMG_0453.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma

Thanks for the additional info.

Guess I'll get back on the phone with Sunset and see if they can locate that part number for the mesh sock before they send out my oil fill tube.

BTW, Sunset is a great parts dealer, great service on my recent water pump replacement and the prices can't be beat.

Yes, that is the correct orientation and (A) is what I am referring to. The clear plastic is what the Porsche parts label was stuck to, like it was part of the label and should have been taken off.

I don't see this "sock" on the parts diagram anywhere. Anyone know a part number?

I'm curious though. It seems like the more flexible end should be closer to the engine since that is where most of the vibration and flexing will occur. I wonder if it fits both ways?

Tommy:

The middle one of the three tubes that comprise the oil filler tube (the one with the mesh sock) is part number 996.107.254.03 and lists for about $32.25. As KBrandsma says, Sunset has it for less.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Tommy:

The middle one of the three tubes that comprise the oil filler tube (the one with the mesh sock) is part number 996.107.254.03 and lists for about $32.25. As KBrandsma says, Sunset has it for less.

Regards, Maurice.

Sunset says there isn't a mesh sock that comes with this part and there isn't a seperate part for it either.

Anyone have a picture or a part number for the mesh sock?

thanks

Tommy

Well, I definitely have a mesh sock. My manuals don't show a replacement however. Regardless it sounds like you need to replace your oil filler tubes. You should also determine if you need to replace your AOS which may have caused the collapse of your oil filler tubes.

K. Brandsma

'98 Boxster

Edited by kbrandsma

Well, I definitely have a mesh sock. My manuals don't show a replacement however. Regardless it sounds like you need to replace your oil filler tubes. You should also determine if you need to replace your AOS which may have caused the collapse of your oil filler tubes.

K. Brandsma

'98 Boxster

How do I determine if the AOS is causing the problem? I'm not seeing any smoke.

Tommy

Tommy:

Regards, Maurice.

Sunset says there isn't a mesh sock that comes with this part and there isn't a seperate part for it either.

Anyone have a picture or a part number for the mesh sock?

thanks

Tommy

Just a quick update in case it helps. My car was leaking from the oil fill tube at the junction between the upper and lower tube. My tube had the "sock" in it (really more like a piece of mesh tape) but it was badly deteriorated. THe orientation you show in your picture is correct so the PET is wrong.

(rant) it's stupid that Porsche oriented the tube so the lower tube fits INSIDE the upper tube. No wonder it leaks. Hard plastic on hard plastic? Silliness. (/rant)

Neither of my tubes were visibly distorted or cracked so I cleaned both with acetone and applied a liberal coating of black RTV at the interface, then pushed them back together. (fingers crossed)

• 2 months later...

Here's my question......How do I get to the bottom tube where it enters the motor?

The whole reason for changing these (according to Sunset) is the 97 had a felt seal at the case and the new hose has an O ring.

I'm in the middle of this project right now on a 97, doing the AOS, Coolant Tank...etc.

The guys at Sunset suggested I do the oil tubes while I'm in there. No mention from them about the sock, not sure it's needed.

I recently replace my AOS and the middle oil filler tube. The middle oil filler tube goes from just inside the engine compartment to near the throttle body. On mine it had a mesh sock that is designed to protect it fro the heat in the engine department. It connects to another tube that connect to the engine. When I tried to replace the middle tube, I was not very careful and I snapped the ears off the tube that connects to the engine.

here is a link to the project as posted in the 986forum

LINK HERE

To replace it you need to remove the tube between the the intake manifolds. It is pretty straight foraward. Some remove the intake on the passenger side (6 bolts) but I was able to install without removing it.

Good luck.

K. Brandsma

98 Boxster

No "mesh sock" on my 2000 S. Maybe, that's a deprecated 2.5L thing. In any case, although the tube is cheap, it is a major PITA to replace. My original one did not fail. It just leaked. It is a pi$$-poor design. The newer version seemed to fit tighter at the fittings. I suspect there may even be newer versions than the one I put in a couple years ago. I replaced the spring clips with hose clamps.