Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2000 C2 Tiptronic with 90k miles on it. As weather is starting to warm up I noticed the temp gauge would slowly creep up when I got into stop and go traffic. Needle went from between 8 and 0 on 180 to just past 0 at a fairly short wait (couple of light changes, outside temp ~ 80F). I had cleaned the radiators last weekend by removing bumper and separating the two (A/C from engine radiator). Had quite a bit of sand in there. Anyway, I still noticed the temps rising so I checked the fans. A/C was on. Drivers side is not coming on even though passengers does. I checked the fuses and one was blown so I replaced it (don't remember if it was C8 or C10). Still the drivers fan was not working. I then tried the relays. Swapped low speed relays (engine temp could have been too high as passenger side never went to slow speed). Swapped high speed relays and the passenger side still works so I assume the relays are okay. I now assume it is the ballast resistor. However, just read a previous post that indicates the ballast resistor is for slow speed operation. So I assume in north Texas with outside temps of 80F and the A/C on the high speed fan should be on so I don't know if this ballast will do anything for me. Is there a way to check to see if the ballast is okay (resistance check)?. Also, I have the Durametric software and just plugged it in. No error codes noted. I used the Drive Links and tried to get the fans to turn on but nothing happened. I had the engine running but couldn't get fan speed 1 or 2 to do anything. I started the car and the passenger fan came on after I turned the A/C on.

Loren HELP!

If you have swapped the relays and you are sure the fuse is good (measured conductivity with a meter?). Then it is either the ballast resister or the motor.

I guess you could bypass the resister to test the the motor.

Loren,

Do you think it would hurt the fan motor to connect it up straight to the battery?

That should not hurt the motor. Be sure and take it out of the circuit.

Pin 1 is ground.

Pin 3 is low speed (when the ballast is present).

Pin 2 is high speed.

I replaced the ballast and fan worked for a little while. Ballast got so hot it was smoking. I notice that this fan is much harder to turn than the passenger fan. Has anyone replaced the radiator fan? Instructions?

• Admin
That should not hurt the motor. Be sure and take it out of the circuit.

Pin 1 is ground.

Pin 3 is low speed (when the ballast is present).

Pin 2 is high speed.

I replaced the ballast and fan worked for a little while. Ballast got so hot it was smoking. I notice that this fan is much harder to turn than the passenger fan. Has anyone replaced the radiator fan? Instructions?

Look at my 3rd radiator instructions - taking the fan motor out is just one more step.

• 1 year later...

I have a fan not coming on now.....So if I get a tester to check the ballast, what readings should I get. (volt meter tester)

I checked the fuses, switched the relays around, turned the fan blades, the driver side was very easy to turn (the one not working) and the passenger side was just a little harder to turn with some magnetic resistance if I am guessing.

Well, I just did the AC panel adjustment and got the car to temp.

With the AC on the passenger side fan comes on high. The temp stays under 98. With the AC off the temp will rise and at 103 the passenger side fan comes on high.

So, I have no low speed on either side and the high speed is not working on the driver side fan. It looks like the drivers side ballast was replaced and the connections are tight.

I am thinking I will pull the inner finder liner and try to jump the motor as above..

1999 C2 with tip. 120,000 miles.

Edited by carsareart

I have a fan not coming on now.....So if I get a tester to check the ballast, what readings should I get. (volt meter tester)

I checked the fuses, switched the relays around, turned the fan blades, the driver side was very easy to turn (the one not working) and the passenger side was just a little harder to turn with some magnetic resistance if I am guessing.

Well, I just did the AC panel adjustment and got the car to temp.

With the AC on the passenger side fan comes on high. The temp stays under 98. With the AC off the temp will rise and at 103 the passenger side fan comes on high.

So, I have no low speed on either side and the high speed is not working on the driver side fan. It looks like the drivers side ballast was replaced and the connections are tight.

I am thinking I will pull the inner finder liner and try to jump the motor as above..

1999 C2 with tip. 120,000 miles.

I have a similar situation on my 1999 C2. I found that the AC hack temp isn't very accurate and the OBDII showed lower figures. I also found that when the fans came on at 103C it was the low speed fan not the high speed (they are much louder). So don't assume it is the high speed fans coming on.

To easily hear the high speed fans, just pull out the low speed fan relays (drivers footwell). The high speed fans will cycle on/off.

Thanks for the reply D.

I just hot wired the fan on the drivers side and found the low speed will not come on when wired directly but the high speed will using the pin outs above.

So I am thinking the resister / ballast is out....

Yes the high speed fan is loud and moves some air.

Well I called my dealer, Bob Moore Porsche and they had the part! I went up and picked it up and installed it. Works like a charm. The low speed fan now comes on when I turn on the AC.

Thanks for the direction and Thank You Bob Moore Porsche for having the part in stock and taking care of me!

Install notes:

I pulled the headlight out and then the plastic wheel well. This gave me enough room to run jumper wires and to cut and install the new ballast. Cut a few wires, a little solder, tape everything up, tie off the wires, replace the liners and time for a test ride. She runs nice and cool now.

Well I called my dealer, Bob Moore Porsche and they had the part! I went up and picked it up and installed it. Works like a charm. The low speed fan now comes on when I turn on the AC.

Thanks for the direction and Thank You Bob Moore Porsche for having the part in stock and taking care of me!

Install notes:

I pulled the headlight out and then the plastic wheel well. This gave me enough room to run jumper wires and to cut and install the new ballast. Cut a few wires, a little solder, tape everything up, tie off the wires, replace the liners and time for a test ride. She runs nice and cool now.

Great. Just out of interest, at what temperature in practice (according to the AC 6c display) do the low speeds now getted turned on (with the AC off)?

Edited by dammad

I do not know. As soon as I repaired the fans I went back to the regular screen on my ac panel.

I will have to check. I have put the car up for the week so this weekend I will get it back out for a PCA drive. If you are close to OKC come on with us. Saturday Morning we meet up at 9 or so.

Edited by carsareart

I do not know. As soon as I repaired the fans I went back to the regular screen on my ac panel.

I will have to check. I have put the car up for the week so this weekend I will get it back out for a PCA drive. If you are close to OKC come on with us. Saturday Morning we meet up at 9 or so.

Alas I'm in California. But let me know what you find out at the weekend.

Appreciated.

Well I have been watching mine.

When I first start up and turn on the A/C both of the fans come on low speed.

When I let the car idle, and the temp goes up to 96-98 I did not hear the fans come on with out the A/C on.

I have not let the car run up in temp at idle but will have to do some more testing.

I have seen higher temps but was in traffic so I could not check the fan operations.

• Admin
Well I have been watching mine.

When I first start up and turn on the A/C both of the fans come on low speed.

When I let the car idle, and the temp goes up to 96-98 I did not hear the fans come on with out the A/C on.

I have not let the car run up in temp at idle but will have to do some more testing.

I have seen higher temps but was in traffic so I could not check the fan operations.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st&p=139566

Thanks Loren for the link, for some reason my car is not following the temps listed, at least according to the A/C panel.

When I got home today from my morning drive I let the car idle for a while. When I pulled into the driveway it was showing 92 on the A/C panel. It took a while but the temp finally went up. I had turned off the A/C and the fans quit. The car idled while I set up an external cooling fan to turn on...just in case or when I could not stand it any more.

Anyway the car reached a temp of 103 and both fans came on high speed. I at this point opened the rear engine hatch shut off the engine and turned on the external cooling fan. At least I think they were on high speed. I will allow the car to cool down and then restart with the A/C on to see how much noise they make. I wonder if they are on low speed and I am just unwilling to allow her to heat up more.

I have noticed my A/C panel temp while driving is normally 92-93. Hmmmmm.

• Admin
Thanks Loren for the link, for some reason my car is not following the temps listed, at least according to the A/C panel.

When I got home today from my morning drive I let the car idle for a while. When I pulled into the driveway it was showing 92 on the A/C panel. It took a while but the temp finally went up. I had turned off the A/C and the fans quit. The car idled while I set up an external cooling fan to turn on...just in case or when I could not stand it any more.

Anyway the car reached a temp of 103 and both fans came on high speed. I at this point opened the rear engine hatch shut off the engine and turned on the external cooling fan. At least I think they were on high speed. I will allow the car to cool down and then restart with the A/C on to see how much noise they make. I wonder if they are on low speed and I am just unwilling to allow her to heat up more.

I have noticed my A/C panel temp while driving is normally 92-93. Hmmmmm.

Sorry, but you are likely chasing something that is not a problem.

It has been stated here before DO NOT TRUST THE TEMPERATURES FROM THE AC PANEL HACK.

Use the Durametric software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester. The DME determines the need to turn the fans on based on the criteria I mentioned in the previous link.

anyone ever try or use the Redline Water Wetter? Is it safe? No flames please:) My car runs relatively cool on highway, but approaches 110c on in city driving and it's not the hot part of summer yet in my area. Fan mods are in effect this weekend, but came across this product and wondered if i could use it as well.

I had it in my car. After my initial posts things seemed to run okay, after fan replacement. Of course cooler temps set in as well. Then about February this year I had to get the dealer to replace the water pump. So they also put in new fluid. Now, as temps are just starting to get hot, engine gauge gets into the middle or far side of 0 on 180. AC hack shows temps being 95 while driving and up to 100 when sitting for a few minutes. I know both low speed fans are on as have checked on initial (cold) start and after driving home (95F today). I cleaned the rads about a year ago but I have to assume that is my current issue since it seems to be okay at highway speeds, unless I am really gettin on it.