Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What shift knob should I get - 5 speed 986 ?

Hi guys,

I am getting ready to do the B&M short shift install in my 01 Boxster and I noticed that my shift knob and boot are a little worn-out.

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what I could get to replace the OEM one. I know from Chris_NH that there is a very nice aluminum shift knob from Porsche, which he has in his car (option # Y06, part number x97). Unfortunately there isn't anyone available on Ebay right now and a new one will cost around $350 from Sunset!

My car is a 5-speed which makes it a little harder to find anything.

Thanks,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

Hi Juniinc,

I had selected exactly the carbon fiber Momo that you pointed out and what they call the Endurance boot.

But I read that Momos don't fit the Boxster unless a lot is modified. Will that change when the shifter is replaced by the B&M?

This is the set I chose:

Knob

Boot

Mounting Ring

Best,

Gus

Hey, grandrade sup? great choice by the way

I don't think much will change when its replaced with a B&M shifter. Porsche uses a flat shift lever unlike some 14mm threaded European cars so is B&M

Throwing a short shifter in Ur car would be way more work than replacing your knob I think.

First mod would have to be our 986 manual shift knob being 1 piece with its leather boot. So whenever we tried to throw one of these universal knob, a little mod is required? Probably the biggest reason most ppl go for the 1 piece replacement.

I checked out your Momo endurance finisher & I don't see how U can possibly make that boot work/look good with that thing being just elastic base, then again I never seen this thing yet.

If I was doing this job, I would try to re- utilize your OEM leather boot so it fits around your center console like its supposed to,,,then figure out how to secure the knob - I'm sure that would be the easiest part for u

I found 1 of TP's old pics in here, I'm hoping that he doesn't mind ;)

post-23680-1207276428.jpg

Hi Juniinc,

I had selected exactly the carbon fiber Momo that you pointed out and what they call the Endurance boot.

But I read that Momos don't fit the Boxster unless a lot is modified. Will that change when the shifter is replaced by the B&M?

This is the set I chose:

Knob

Boot

Mounting Ring

Best,

Gus

Edited by juniinc

Great feedback, guys!

Do u guys have any idea whether I can buy only that plastic frame that goes around the boot (in the bottom) from Porsche?

...Otherwise I could try to buy any beaten up Boxster knob/boot on Ebay and try to somehow glue the new (Momo) boot to the frame I remove from the old Ebay boot. I intend to keep the OEM knob/boot that is coming out of my car, because when I upgrade the car (one day) I intend to convert it back to the OEM shifter and knob.

Best,

Gus

eagle day sells just the leather boot(available in diff color)for about $85.00. TP also said U might be able to find some at Gert Stills.

Hi Juniinc,

How are you?

As promised I posted my experience with my first DE training this weekend under a new topic DE Experience. With some questions - just for a change...Hahahaahah

Coming back to the Knob/Boot issue, I check eagleday.com, but it seems they only sell the entired set (boot+knob) for the Boxster, for $235. I could not find Gert Stills.

Any other idea?

Thank you very much,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gus, I'm good & sup?

U will be able to find a knob + colored leather boot for $89.95 at Eagleday.com.

I think that's gonna be your best bet

post-23680-1208972254.gif

eagle day sells just the leather boot(available in diff color)for about $85.00. TP also said U might be able to find some at Gert Stills.

Hi Juniinc,

How are you?

As promised I posted my experience with my first DE training this weekend under a new topic DE Experience. With some questions - just for a change...Hahahaahah

Coming back to the Knob/Boot issue, I check eagleday.com, but it seems they only sell the entired set (boot+knob) for the Boxster, for $235. I could not find Gert Stills.

Any other idea?

Thank you very much,

Gus

Hi Juniinc,

I ordered exactly that part (in black) and got it on Monday... It looks a little 'old-fashioned' compared to the one I currently have (like the one K.Brandsma posted above).

I was thinking about returning the part, specially because I need to order the 'shift pattern' emblem and I could not find anyone that looks nice - was looking for an aluminum one (5 speed), but all I could find were the ones in eagleday.com

Not sure what the alternative is... I really wanted to go for the Momo knob (carbon fiber look), but see no way to attach it to my shifter. The Momo has a round shape and, despite having several 'rubber rings' to adapt the knob to shifters with different diameters, I bet none of them will fit our oddily shaped shifter.

If you have any other idea, please let me know.

Best

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

I agree carbon knob will look awsome.

We usually take a band- saw , cut/shape the flat blade shift lever to fit,,,

I don't know perhaps it's just me, but I'd like my 986 to be unique in its way so it easily seperates from the others.

good luck ,GUS

Hi Juniinc,

I ordered exactly that part (in black) and got it on Monday... It looks a little 'old-fashioned' compared to the one I currently have (like the one K.Brandsma posted above).

I was thinking about returning the part, specially because I need to order the 'shift pattern' emblem and I could not find anyone that looks nice - was looking for an aluminum one (5 speed), but all I could find were the ones in eagleday.com

Not sure what the alternative is... I really wanted to go for the Momo knob (carbon fiber look), but see no way to attach it to my shifter. The Momo has a round shape and, despite having several 'rubber rings' to adapt the knob to shifters with different diameters, I bet none of them will fit our oddily shaped shifter.

If you have any other idea, please let me know.

Best

Gus

Hi Gus,

I recently did a short shift upgrade and used the eBay shifter.

shifter.jpg

Does anyone know the Porsche part number on this shift knob?

And does it come with only the knob or also the leather boot?

Thanks