Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Misfire. P0300,0301,0302,0303

1998 Boxster 2.5. Mileage ~100.000

The engine misfires when cruising and on high loads/rpms. It has been like this for a while, but yesterday it finally triggered the CEL. A permanent light at first, but it started flashing after a while

I borrowed an OBD scanner and read the following codes:

P0300 - Engine misfire

P0301 - Cyl 1 misfire

P0302 - Cyl 2 misfire

P0303 - Cyl 3 misfire

I cleared the codes, but it is still misfiring and hesitates slightly on idle. Any typical faults causing these codes? I've read the other threads and came up with: Variocam solenoid, AOS malfunction, Air leak. As the fault is present at only one cylinder bank, bad spark plugs is not the explanation?

This is the diagnosis report from ProScan: http://home.c2i.net/hmhaga/boxster/diagnosis.pdf

Any chance that more codes are stored, hidden from the OBD-interface?

Bummer....just had the car removed from winter storage :(

• Admin

Yes, there is a good chance there are more codes (not hidden - just more).

If you notice all of you problem are on one side (bank) if the engine.

This could be a an intake air leak on that side or bad adjusted camshaft control for that side.

If the it is a badly adjusted camshaft control then the adaptation values in area 1 differ in bank 1 and bank 2 (e.g. TRA=0.02/TRA2=0.27). The adaptation values for area 2 are generally normal.

If this is the case the camshaft control needs to be reset - then recheck the adaption values.

P0300 Misfire Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0301 Misfire, Cylinder 1, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0302 Misfire, Cylinder 2, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0303 Misfire, Cylinder 3, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

same thing happened to me, Turns out it was the o2 Sensor ahead of the cats that caused the misfire on that same bank of the engine

My Pcodes were P0304, P0305, P0306 (cylindars 4, 5 & 6, Bank 2) & P0300 (Multiple Misfire) and 1 DTC which is a pcode that registered during my drive which was P0150 (Non-Functioning o2 Sensor Bank 2 ahead of cats)

Installed the new o2 Sensor and Check Engine light stopped flashing and fuel efficency went up and idle was smoother.

The o2 Sensor is usually what causes misfires on only one bank all at once because it's pretty much the only sensor that will detect output from only 1 half or 1 bank of the engine, Any other part malfuntioning and causing misfire on all cylindars in 1 bank would be purely coincidental.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Loren. The CEL/misfire only appeared after having passed 5500 rpm.

After resetting the CEL and some "spirited" driving the problem hasn't reappeared. HOWEVER, it has regained response and torque I can't remember it ever having in my ownership....