Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Will a Motorsports AOS work on a Boxster?

I've seen reference to the Porsche Motorsports air oil separator elsewhere (Porsche part number is 996 107 926 00), but have never seen anything conclusive on whether it will fit on a 986, or what's involved in making it fit. Supposedly it is more robust and has dual chambers. It's also massive relative to the stock AOS, as well as being more expensive (like in the $500 range). Anyone ever try this or have any idea if it will work on a Boxster? If it does work, then Porsche really does have a cure for smoking :D

I've seen reference to the Porsche Motorsports air oil separator elsewhere (Porsche part number is 996 107 926 00), but have never seen anything conclusive on whether it will fit on a 986, or what's involved in making it fit. Supposedly it is more robust and has dual chambers. It's also massive relative to the stock AOS, as well as being more expensive (like in the $500 range). Anyone ever try this or have any idea if it will work on a Boxster? If it does work, then Porsche really does have a cure for smoking :D

Yes, I understand that the two chamber AOS will fit on the 986 Boxster. In fact, Porsche has apparently had a TSB in place (see attached .pdf) on this for quite some time (at least in the UK).

Vision Motorsports in Laguna Hills, CA should be able to do the installation as they did the install on my Cayman S (this was a PITA).

The part can be ordered directly from Suncoast Porsche (or any dealer) and does not need to be ordered through a race shop.

Cheers,

Porsche_Oil_Ingestion_Fix_1_.pdf

Edited by Krokodil

• Moderators

There is info on this motorsport oil mist separator on the Cayman Club forum.

This is a dual chamber oil separator so it is twice the size as the standard separator. Guy in England got his hands on the bulletin from PAG and it is for a 986. I have checked and there is no PCNA/US 986 version of this bulletin for some strange reason. The bulletin was issued March 2, 2004 and says it is for 2003 up, so to me that would mean 2003-2004 986. Don't know what is involved with a 987.

The Cayman owners are using or trying to use it. They have clearance issues with the secondary air pump being in the way because this separator is so much larger, so they have to remove or modify it so that the separator can fit. The Cayman engine compartment is different than a 986 and that is why the Cayman has clearance issues.

I had the dealership parts guy check last week and it is not shown in PET. The Cayman guys are apparently ordering it through race shops that have access to motorsports parts, but I think it is a part that can be ordered from any dealership. My local dealersip parts guy says he can order it and there are 3 of them in Atlanta, with a full list price of $518.12. You also need a line/hose to the separator that is different than the one used with the standard separator. There are none in the US but 15 in Germany at $80.01 retail. You also need 2 bolts to bolt it to the crankcase. So you can buy these parts from a dealership rather than a shop with connection with motorsports.

You also need to remove the plastic intake in order to get the monster separator in and bolted down to the crankcase. The time units on the bulletin is 360 which I think works out to 4 hours.

I have spoken to a local independent mechanic that use to work at dealerships and recently opened his own shop. He is interested in this and if a local owner wants to give it a try then let me know.

Thanks for posting the tech bulletin. I know why it's not in the US - the line "In the event of the complaint "Blue smoke emitted by engine", a modified oil separator for the positive crankcase ventilation is to be retrofitted." would have caused almost every Boxster to already have one installed. :lol: From reading the bulletin, it sounds quite doable on the Boxster.

I originally saw the Motorsports AOS referenced on the Cayman Club, and then the PCA tech Q&A has a non-answer on the subject, then I saw it referenced again on 986forum. The PCA tech Q&A said it wasn't a motorsports part and could be ordered by any dealer. The last time I called Sunset to order parts, they quoted me around $490 for the part, and said they could get it. I think I'll wait until mine needs replacing before I decide what to do about it.

I have an '04 986S dedicated track car. I recently started having this oil ingestion problem on the track.

I have a buddy that has an identical car, and he has had the same issue in the same sort of turns - for both of us it would happen as we were back on the throttle hard on the exit of a left hand hairpin coming after a high speed straight. He was having his race shop install the PMNA part. I recently ordered it, and will give it a go on my car before my next event in August. Note the race shop said the 986 does not have the secondary air injector pump in the way like the Caymans do.

I got my part of Suncoast in Sarasota for $400 and change.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread.

I have a MY 2002 and the fix above only works for MY 2003 and higher (aparently Porsche changed the shape of the AOS a lot between these model years)

Does anyone know if there's an AOS that will fit my model year (2002) ?

Thanks

The 987 3.2 had a motorsport AOS developed for it ( I have the prototype fitted to my car !) , but it was never offered as an official option. The actual option code identified but never listed was 661 Verschaerftes abgasconzept ( roughtly translated - stricter emissions concept) . Whether it was ever actually intended for motorsport we will never know , but its similarity in design to the 996 motorsports AOS suggests it shares much of the same capability. The part number for the AOS and associated hoses only exists in the main dealer "special parts" catalogue. Unlike the 996 motorsport AOS , the 987 part has provision for the secondary air pump found on the boxster and design of the 987 engine layout (reversed to the 997 / 996). With the 987 3.2 engine being essentially unchanged from the 986 (ie its still an M96 variant and uses the same throttle body and inlet manifold , heads / valves etc) I suggest the motorsport AOS will actually fit both the 986 and 987 cars. The price is somewhat prohibitive at nearly double the 996 motorsport part. Here in the UK the part is listed at close to a thousand pounds ! Details of the part can be found on planet-9.com here :

http://www.planet-9....stallation.html

Here is the thread which shows the subtle differences between the boxster and 911 "motorsport" part and original part:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/25166-oil-separator-modification-pics-aos-motorsport-vos.html

Others on the planet-9 forum have experimented with cutting and modifying the 996 part to look like the 987 original. Not sure if the 987 part would be allowed in motorsports race series , but suggest its more likely than a 996 part as its developed for the car as a specific part (even has a 987 part number !). What other "hidden" developed parts for the 987 or any other model exist we can only guess. Every now and then I'm sure another gem will come to light.

Edited by berty987