Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

V1 hardwire question

I want to hardwire a v1 radar detector into a 2000 911 and have seen a couple of different methods. The one I want to try is to wire into the sunroof wires so I don't have to run the wire around the windshield and down under the dash. Are they any disadvantages to this? It seems much easier than running the wire.

Any thoughts/opinions??

Thanks,

Ron

I have the V1 mounted just to the right of the rear view mirror (so it doesn't interfere with the driver's sun visor) and the concealed display on top of the steering column. The concealed display is great, since you only have to look down slightly from your normal driving line-of-sight to see it, instead of up to where the main unit is located, and the mute button is within easy reach. With this install, you need to run the wire up the A pillar (to connect the concealed display and main unit) so using the sunroof power source doesn't buy you anything.

V1%20drivers.jpg

V1%20remote.jpg

I used the sun visor clip, slipped between the headliner support and roof, to mount the main unit (Rob in WA's suggestion).

V1%20clip.jpg

Better than using the suction cups, since you don't see any suction cup marks on the windshield from the outside

V1%20outside.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Poursha, Is this difficult to do ?Did you have to modify the clip in any fashion ?Does the clip just slip in, or do you have to force it? Thanks, Jay

You need to compress the clip a bit (use a vice to bend) or it will be too loose--compress it a bit at a time and test--if you compress too much it's hard to undo. The headliner support is connected to the roof by clips every 3 - 4 inches. Pull down on the headliner support where you want to insert the clip, then snap back into place afterward.

If you look carefully you can see I also put about 1/2" of felt between the V1 and the headliner, which made it much more stable, and also pointed the part facing the rear of the car downward, which made the unit level, so it would have a good line of sight through the rear window.

Edited by Poursha