Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2 convertible top questions

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding the convertible top on a 2000 C2 Cabrio.

1. The dealer gave me a speech about NOT operating the convertible when 'it is cold' :unsure: The manual says not to operate the top at temps below O°, that's pretty cold!! Any opinions? When is it safe to use it really temperature wise to avoid cracking the window?

2. Can the plastic window be replaced separately from the top?

As always, many thanks in advance.

Alex

Edited by londoner06

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding the convertible top on a 2000 C2 Cabrio.

1. The dealer gave me a speech about NOT operating the convertible when 'it is cold' :unsure: The manual says not to operate the top at temps below O°, that's pretty cold!! Any opinions? When is it safe to use it really temperature wise to avoid cracking the window?

2. Can the plastic window be replaced separately from the top?

As always, many thanks in advance.

Alex

I can't say as to the cold, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to replace the window without replacing the top.

Will

It runs slower when its cold temps....I looked into replacing the plastic window and I was told a 2002 top will fit and that comes with a glass window.

I replaced mine with a glass window that was worth it, but I did some research and found places who would stitch in a plastic window too

KL

It runs slower when its cold temps....I looked into replacing the plastic window and I was told a 2002 top will fit and that comes with a glass window.

I replaced mine with a glass window that was worth it, but I did some research and found places who would stitch in a plastic window too

KL

Thank you for your replies.

I saw one entry that mentioned that the glass window is smaller. The plastic one has a zipper around it but I couldn't see any way to actually remove it.

I guess unless it cracks that I will stick to the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Cleaner and Polish.

Alex

Thank you for your replies.

I saw one entry that mentioned that the glass window is smaller. The plastic one has a zipper around it but I couldn't see any way to actually remove it.

I guess unless it cracks that I will stick to the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Cleaner and Polish.

Alex

Alex:

If you are going to stick with the plastic window until it cracks, try the 3 step Novus products. They will "rejuvenate" a window that is getting hazy and stiff.

Regards, Maurice.

Do not operate the top in too cold of weather, especially with the plastic window, it becomes brittle in extreme cold. Also, the operation is slower (hydraulic fluid) and can put a strain on other components. Following the manual should be sufficient, but (due to a bad experience with a miata) I do not operate the top under 35 deg C.

Regarding the top itself:

• The factory top for US MY 99-01 has a plastic window and is NOT replaceable with a factory US MY 02+ top and glass window.
  • There are aftermarket tops that have a glass window for 99-01 cars, and yes, the window is significantly smaller (GAHH tops).
  • The plastic window can be replaced on its own, it is a difficult and complex process, and not always successful (I do not recommend it, long story...). There are some trim shops that will sew in a plastic window.
  • Porsche also now makes a factory top with a pre sewn in window (due to the difficulty of the window install - there is a bulletin on this).
  • There are aftermarket tops including windows available.

It really depends on what you want, are willing to accept, and want to spend... I have just gone through a long and difficult process getting a top replaced. In essence, dealer tried three times to install a new window in a new top - failed each time, then, without permission, sent the car out to have the window sewn in by a trim shop. I was not happy with the result, esp. since I paid for an OEM top and window ($$$), and there was other damage to my car. I finally had them (at their cost) replace the top with the factory top with sewn in window option and am very happy.

I will now be selling the first top/sewn in window to cover the "other" damage the dealer did to my car... This link has pictures of the stitching so you can get an idea. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...ad.php?t=455129

• 3 months later...

My car had replacement window stitched in & the stitching looks terrible, but that was partially what helped me get a great deal on the car. I've seen replacement tops with a plastic window on eBay for $299, but I can't attest to the quality.