Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition Problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I could do with some help here.

I have a Boxster S, 2001, 62,000 miles. Has had multiple problems that I spend a fortune on to get fixed.

The Latest is the car will not start.

1. The car will make an attempt to turn over but not ever getting there

2. The gauges flicker all over the place and the windows flicker up and down at the same time.

3. There is a clicking noise as well when I turnover the key.

4. I have replaced the ignition switch last year because of something similar and replaced again yesterday to make sure it was not that.

5. When I pull out the key, there is a noise about 2 seconds after from the Key Cylinder like something dropping in place.

What other electrical problem could be causing this. Starter? Could the key cylinder do this this?

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Regards

Steve

I'm just guessing here:

How is you battery?

How is the battery cable connections?

If you have a low battery, or a poor connection then I could see something like this.

One of the experts here should be able to help better.

M

Edited by txhokie4life

The ignition switch is notorious for going out. So much so, that it is recommended to not have a bunch of keys

dangling from your Porsche key when its in the ignition.

Cheap and relatively easy fix though.

Oops, just saw you already replaced it twice!

I would suggest as the others and have the battery load tested.

Edited by Beelzy

I'd recommend have your battery checked. My Boxster showed some if these same symptoms a couple of weeks back...ended up being a bad cell in the battery that would only act up only when I tried to start the vehicle the first time each morning.

If you replaced the ignition with the new upgrade, you should be good. I did this update as a preventative action to any future ignition related issues due to known problems. My cylinder makes the same sound when I remove the key.

Sorry to hear you're putting a fortune into keeping your car going. My Boxster has 138,000 miles and I've only performed regular maintenance and a few other minor repairs (window regulators, ignition switch)...other than that, still drives and looks great. I'm sure I'll need a clutch sometime soon! :o That's the DIY that I'll definitely have the dealer perform...not like the old days when was a kid and owned a VW; only needed a 17mm and a skateboard. :)

Hopefully it's as simple as your battery. Please let us know what ends up being the issue.

All the best,

Bill B)

I will have the battery checked, and thanks for the input. Will let you know what the outcome is.

I'd recommend have your battery checked. My Boxster showed some if these same symptoms a couple of weeks back...ended up being a bad cell in the battery that would only act up only when I tried to start the vehicle the first time each morning.

If you replaced the ignition with the new upgrade, you should be good. I did this update as a preventative action to any future ignition related issues due to known problems. My cylinder makes the same sound when I remove the key.

Sorry to hear you're putting a fortune into keeping your car going. My Boxster has 138,000 miles and I've only performed regular maintenance and a few other minor repairs (window regulators, ignition switch)...other than that, still drives and looks great. I'm sure I'll need a clutch sometime soon! :o That's the DIY that I'll definitely have the dealer perform...not like the old days when was a kid and owned a VW; only needed a 17mm and a skateboard. :)

Hopefully it's as simple as your battery. Please let us know what ends up being the issue.

All the best,

Bill B)