Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power sources in dash - ACC, IGN, Constant etc..

Hello!

For installing a Parrot bluetooth kit in my 2004 Boxster (Australia version, RHD) I was at first looking for

a switched + that comes on when the key is in ACC position (not just in IGN position) behind the

dash. I found the cigarette lighter in my car does this, ie comes on in IGN position.

Now, I remember reading on a German forum, there is a THIRD type of switched power, which comes

on until the key is pulled out. Sound like the cig lighter

on this UK car is wired the same: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=53130

My CDR-23 radio turns off only once the key is pulled, so I know the ignition switch in the key slot supports

this third "type" of switched power...... is there a convenient source for this power in the dash? Where would

be the best place to tap this from?

Ta!

EDIT: JUST REALISED THERE IS NO "ACC" POSITION for the key in a Boxster. It's OFF - IGN - START only.

Edited by yellowlemon

Not sure about cars in Oz, but US Boxsters have the cigarette lighter plug set up for constant power. That way the battery maintainers work when plugged in to the lighter plug

On US cars, there is a phone plug behind the center console that has both switched and unswitched power. See this post for an example

... or you can just remove one of the carpeted side panel in the footwell.

3398650574_ee5f7b7a0c.jpg

Reach around in there as the plug may be taped to the floor up near the firewall. Here's a picture of the plug/wires you are looking for...:

3397845715_531609868c.jpg

Once you do find it, here are the pin designation for US spec cars at least, so you'll want to check them w/ a multimeter:

3028049801_6582f65fed.jpg

Do all Boxsters have this phone plug or only US versions?

I have removed the lower centre console CD holder, compartment, batwing - couldn't see the connector or cables.

Then I removed the carpeted side panel, could see the Air Bag Unit, but no other wires.

Interestingly, my air bag unit had a single brown wire connecting to it, in addition to the black plastic wiring loom seen in the picture by Cassiebox above. It almost looks as if it were added later. Scary!

• Admin
Do all Boxsters have this phone plug or only US versions?

I have removed the lower centre console CD holder, compartment, batwing - couldn't see the connector or cables.

Then I removed the carpeted side panel, could see the Air Bag Unit, but no other wires.

Interestingly, my air bag unit had a single brown wire connecting to it, in addition to the black plastic wiring loom seen in the picture by Cassiebox above. It almost looks as if it were added later. Scary!

Only US/Canada Boxster have "phone prep" standard - others would need to have one of the phone options (like M618).

If present, the cord/plug are usually taped to the floor on the other side of the support bracket (from airbag module).

You could tap an ign acc in the fuse panel or use the remote amp turn on pin from the radio head unit (if your parrot has only one +12V power lead, you'll want to add a relay as the remote amp turn on lead is very low powered).

Edited by Cassiebox

use the remote amp turn on pin from the radio head unit

That is a good idea thanks! Your suggestion has lead me to think of something I hadn't considered: If my radio (Becker CDR-23) is turned OFF (as it is most of the time to hear the cool engine sound), will it still put through the phone kit when the "mute pin" is asserted? I could test this myself but if anyone already knows, that would be great.

(If it doesn't put through the phone audio when off/standby, then I will just have to use the stupid "relay kit" that comes with the Parrot unit that hijacks the speakers to use with it's own pathetic little amplifier.)

Edited by yellowlemon

Hello again, apologies for the double post.

What I'm really looking for is a power source that stays on until the key is physically removed (like the stock radio), and NOT one that goes off when the key is turned away from ACC position (my AUS version cigarette lighter stays on in ACC position).

If anyone can point out which fuse line does this - I scanned the little booklet that comes in my MY 2004 Boxster's fuse box and attach it here to help. It is too large to attach (2MB) .... maybe it can go into the "manuals" download section of this great resourceful website?

Cheers!

why not use the remote turn on signal from the h/u to the amp to turn on the Parrot?

Because most of the time, I have the CDR-23 radio turned OFF - listening to the engine instead :) But I don't want to miss calls. So I have two options:

1) The Becker HU *MAY* still amplify audio coming in on "telephone input pins" when the MUTE line is asserted, EVEN IF it is in OFF/STANDBY mode. I am strongly hoping this is the case... could anyone confirm this for me?

2) Alternatively, the Parrot BT kits (all of them) come with a "Speaker relay box" that hijacks the speaker lines from the CDR-23 headunit and connects the speakers to the little internal amp in the Parrot brain. So this way the Parrot works regardless of the HU status.... on, off, not even installed, whatever :)

Another forum in German "pff online" has a thread stating the "CAN-Bus-Adapter Generation 2, Model 61010" gives exactly the power signal i want, the one that stays on until the actual key is pulled. This is exactly how my CDR-23 behaves now. The coolest thing is that my CDR-23 turns off when I press the LOCK button on my key remote. (google the model no, or check here in english : http://www.dobbertin-elektronik.de/navigat...-ausw-engl.htm)

So yeah I was just wondering if there is a simpler way than the CAN adapter, ie perhaps a fuse rail that is switched in this way (depending on presence of key inserted, rather than key turned to ACC or IGN) Minute details I know, but I must have OCD or something :)

EDIT: The Becker HU *DOES* still amplify audio coming in on "telephone input pins" when the MUTE line is asserted, EVEN IF it is OFF. It actually comes on while mute is asserted and displays "Phone", then turns off again when the phone is done.

Edited by yellowlemon

• 2 weeks later...
1) The Becker HU *MAY* still amplify audio coming in on "telephone input pins" when the MUTE line is asserted, EVEN IF it is in OFF/STANDBY mode. I am strongly hoping this is the case... could anyone confirm this for me?

Just as follow-up, I'm writing for the record that the stock Becker CDR-23 units does actually activate it's "phone in" pins when it is in standby. - This is only when it is in "PH AUDIO" mode, not in "PH MUTE" - you change this setting by holding the "Menue" button....

So the Parrot kits "speaker relay box" is not needed and you don't have to jam the large relay box behind the already cramped space behind the stock radio. Just need to order the "Ph In" wire from Becker.

Afraid that the Phone input pins on the CDR-23 could blow from the speaker level input, I asked Becker Australia and they replied: "The mono input for the phone is line level and small speaker level as well, up to 8V signal level. In some cases a dropping resistor may have to be used (value has to be experimented with)."

CooL!

Edit: fixed information

Edited by yellowlemon