Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing Rear Storage Compartment

I'm in the process of installing rear speakers on my 2003 Boxster S. This requires removal of the rear storage compartment. The car manual has instructions for a procedure whereby you partially open the top, unhook various parts and take the storage compartment out the rear. I opened the top partially to do a check to see how this would work and I came to the conclusion that there is a better and simpler way. When you partially open the top, just take it back gradually in small steps and watch the space between the top of the rollbars and the convertible top edge. There is a point where that space is wide enough for you to bring the storage compartment over the rollbars and remove from the front. The way suggested by the factory is simple enough but I am apprehensive about unhooking anything related to the convertible top, it seems we get a fair number of posts about problems raising and lowering the top, and I don't need those problems.

• Moderators

Unless you have very small fingers made of rubber you should put the top in what we call the service position.

You have to get the white clip in the roll bar along with the electrical connector. Then you have to hook up the connector that comes from the speakers to that connector. Trying to do that when the top is not in the service postion........

A tip on your install. I have watched Raman put in several rear speaker kits and we filmed on of the installs. It is hard to install the white clip since you need to twist it so that it locks in position. Raman puts the clip on the connector first then twists the clip into position. This way you have leverage. It is the clip for the harness that runs from the box to the head/amp.

post-26-1092588145_thumb.jpg

re: >>The way suggested by the factory is simple enough but I am apprehensive about unhooking anything related to the convertible top, it seems we get a fair number of posts about problems raising and lowering the top, and I don't need those problems. <<

DANNOV,

Be not afraid. When you pop off the little black cables and clips per the manual, you are only loosening the 'skirt' around the bottom of the convertible top. Those posts about red plastic end, black plastic end and transmission cables are mechanically unrelated to the little cables you pop off for accessing the rear storage box and engine compartment.

When I had owned my Boxster 3 days there happened to be a Porsche Club 'park& admire' meeting in a parking lot. I took my Boxster there and loosened my top to expose my engine in about 7 minutes(It takes me about 1 minute now). I figured if anything went wrong there were Porsche drivers around to help me put it back together. This procedure is easier and safer than changing the bulbs in the headlights - I encourage you to go for it!

P.S. My Boxster got extra attention that night because a) it was brand new and B) it was the only Boxster with the engine exposed.

Unless you have very small fingers made of rubber you should put the top in what we call the service position.

You have to get the white clip in the roll bar along with the electrical connector.  Then you have to hook up the connector that comes from the speakers to that connector.  Trying to do that when the top is not in the service postion........

A tip on your install.  I have watched Raman put in several rear speaker kits and we filmed on of the installs.  It is hard to install the white clip since you need to twist it so that it locks in position.  Raman puts the clip on the connector first then twists the clip into position.  This way you have leverage.  It is the clip for the harness that runs from the box to the head/amp.

Tool Pants

Thanks for the tip. It is indeed very difficult (yes, impossible) to attach that clip to the square hole in the rollbar, but that is true only when the top is fully up or fully down. If the top is partially open and the rear panel covering the seat belt is removed, it is no problem getting into that area from the front. I attached the clip and connected the harness with no difficulty, probably in 15 sec. You really don't have to put the top in the service position to get at the attachment point and make the harness connection.

The biggest problem I have had so far was something I thought would be very easy. It was fitting the speaker grilles into the holes in the storage compartment. I didn't want to use excessive force for fear of cracking the grille (a thin piece of plastic), but pressing a small block of wood against the outer end gives you the leverage to snap them into place. I then used epoxy to make sure they do not pop out. My next job is to find a hole in the firewall to run the small harness to my amp. I have not looked at that yet but it should be straight forward.

• Moderators

We put the box in the sun to warm it up so the grills will pop in.

Remove the battery clamp and slide the battery over to the passenger side. You will see a 3" rubber plug. Poke an awl in the center of the plug. Then look above the gas pedal and you will see the sharp end of the awl sticking out through a precut X in the carpet insulation.

That is how we run stuff for a cd changer retrofit and a 2003 rear speaker install since your 4 wires are hooked up to the amp and not the head unit. Make sure you have the extension/adapter in your kit so that you can hook up to the amp. Remove spare tire.

If you have a cd changer then remove it. If not, then pull the carpet away from where it would be. You will see another large rubber plug. Poke a hole in it and pull the wires through and over to the amp. It would help to undo the two 10mm bolts for the amp so you can hide the wires behind the carpet.

Raman has a 2003 with the factory retrofit rear speaker kit and he has put in about 6 for us local owners, so if you have any questions.....

Thank you. Tool Pants

I never would have looked under the battery.

Just completed this stage yesterday. The grommet that Tool Pants pointed out is not under the battery. My mistake. If you move the battery about 3" to the passenger side ( no need to disconnect battery) there is a rubber grommet about 1.5" in diameter behind the battery on the vertical firewall bulkhead. Put the speaker cable through this hole. The vertical bulkhead in front of battery has a similar grommet about 12" over on the passenger side. Go through that hole and you can run the speaker wire to the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the job of installing the rear speakers on my 2003 Boxster S (with the M490 external amp and door speaker option, and CDR23 radio). It is really a rather simple job provided you pay attention to some of the tips mentioned in this and other threads, i.e. removing storage compartment, installing grilles, attaching the small plastic clip to rollbar and finding the holes through the firewall, etc. Tool Pants provided a few valuable tips that really helped to simplify the job. The instructions provided with the kit just give a broad outline of what to do but a lot of the seemingly simple stuff is not covered in detail. It is the simple stuff (attaching rollbar clip, installing grilles or finding the holes in firewall) that can often result in time consuming problems.

I have the fade set at about 4 and the sound is very much improved. This is a worthwhile modification, and even though I did it in several small steps over a few weeks, it can easily be done in 4 or 5 hours. I recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their current sound system.