Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suspension Upgrade Choices; rim straightening?

My '02 turbo with 70k miles squats in the rear too much when stomping on it and makes the car unstable - front gets lighter.

If a suspension upgrade is in the cards I will want something that works well (i.e. somewhat comfortable and controllable) on the the bumpy back roads and an occasional DE since this is a daily driver. I'm leaning toward the PSS10s because I've always been satisfied with Bilsteins except for a problem with a '95 C2. The PSS9s I put on that car were a bit on the harsh side and the rear height adjustment required taking half the suspension apart to be able to turn the piece that the sway bar end link mounted to. Unless I was doing it wrong? It looks like the 996 version is the same design. That piece ought to be a sleeve that is sandwiched between two nuts. Are the PSS10s worth $600 more than the H&R coilovers and how do they compare for primarily street use?

The X73 setup has been suggested and if I could find a good used set for a reasonable price I would definitely go that way until my budget recovers from getting a rear flat tire at 75mph and bending a rim. But I haven't seen them anywhere. Anyone know where to find a set?

I have a set of Epsilon Rims, 12X18 in the rear. I flat spotted a section of the rim on the inside edge when I got a flat at 75mph. Epsilon is apparently out of business so I may not be able to find an 8.5" inner half (more like two-thirds). It wouldn't take much to straighten the rim - no more than a 2-inch flat spot with a max indent of about 1/4-inch. Has anyone had luck with getting a rim "trued"?

Thanks,

Mike

My '02 turbo with 70k miles squats in the rear too much when stomping on it and makes the car unstable - front gets lighter.

If a suspension upgrade is in the cards I will want something that works well (i.e. somewhat comfortable and controllable) on the the bumpy back roads and an occasional DE since this is a daily driver. I'm leaning toward the PSS10s because I've always been satisfied with Bilsteins except for a problem with a '95 C2. The PSS9s I put on that car were a bit on the harsh side and the rear height adjustment required taking half the suspension apart to be able to turn the piece that the sway bar end link mounted to. Unless I was doing it wrong? It looks like the 996 version is the same design. That piece ought to be a sleeve that is sandwiched between two nuts. Are the PSS10s worth $600 more than the H&R coilovers and how do they compare for primarily street use?

The X73 setup has been suggested and if I could find a good used set for a reasonable price I would definitely go that way until my budget recovers from getting a rear flat tire at 75mph and bending a rim. But I haven't seen them anywhere. Anyone know where to find a set?

I have a set of Epsilon Rims, 12X18 in the rear. I flat spotted a section of the rim on the inside edge when I got a flat at 75mph. Epsilon is apparently out of business so I may not be able to find an 8.5" inner half (more like two-thirds). It wouldn't take much to straighten the rim - no more than a 2-inch flat spot with a max indent of about 1/4-inch. Has anyone had luck with getting a rim "trued"?

Thanks,

Mike

On the rim straightening - I bought a set of rims off a salvage car. One wheel was bent somewhat in the wreck. I sent it off to be straightened - it came back absolutely perfect. I used a place called wheel wizard in atlanta, but i think there are lots of places that do this.

My 2 cents, you better understand your personality before you purchase new suspension. A lot of people that I requested input from on this and other websites gave their impression of various suspension upgrades. I have a 2000 C2 that came with stock US suspension but PO put lowering springs on. My ride was harsh, this is my only car so daily driver. I changed the springs out to US M030 option. Still fairly harsh but assumed the shocks were shot with 100k miles on them. People suggested anything from PSS9 to X74 (needs modification for my car) to ROW M030. I went with the ROW M030 complete kit and bought all parts on the shocks and struts to replace the entire suspension so starting with new. I've had the suspension on about a week now and got to say, I'm not happy with it. It is a firm ride, very nice in the twists, but sharp impacts fully transmit into the cabin. So I probably should have gone with the wimpy US stock suspension set up but in the back of my mind liked the idea of the steering precision the ROW M030 kit would bring. BTW I have 18" wheels. I know people will harass me that the car is not going to ride like a Lexus and I don't expect that. I had a BMW coupe and know that you can have good steering control and a compliant suspension. I have driven Cayman's as loaners and they were very nice and controlled without harshness so I know this can be achieved. Anyway, ask yourself, and be honest, will I be able to give up some steering precision for more tolerable ride or is it race car steering at all costs.

I have just installed the PSS10's on my car - 30K miles - and the ride is much improved! I have then set at 5 front and 5 rear and am really happy with the feel and ride of the car. I also lowered the car to ROW - 10mm height and the car looks better and really is smooth over even bumpy roads. It is a personnel choice but I like the PSS10!

• 4 weeks later...

In my car i have pss10 tailored to my needs...However because of two wasted months i spent trying to set up PSS10 properly at GT2 ride height i would suggest you to go for the X73...It is designed from Porsche engineers and it is for sure better for all around use...On the other hand if you track the car go for a coilover setup...Just remember pss10 is not designed for lowering the car over half inch...(only 5,5cm spring travel from end to end...)

P.S. X73 comes with sport motor mounts...thats a plus...

• Admin
What is the X73?

Widebody (Turbo and C4S only)

From Carnewal.com "The factory X73 retrofit kits lowers the RoW cars 20mm all around and the US cars 40mm (1.6") in the front and 30mm (1.2") in the rear. It gives the car a sportier ride without becoming too harsh and an attractive look."