Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Revised windstop clips

• Moderators

Revised windstop clips

I needed to replace the passenger side clip on Dave's 1998 windstop which is on my 1997 Boxster. A bulletin was issued on May 25, 2004. The clips have been changed as of March production with a thinner plastic leaf spring, to reduce the chance of breaking. I replaced one or both sides on my original 1997 windstop for this reason. New part numbers. 986 561 737 01 01C and 986 561 738 01 01C. I wanted to take a picture of the difference, so the parts guy gave me all they had it stock to look

• 4 weeks later...

Be carefull when ordering the 986-561-738-01-01c and 737-01-01c both were marked L for LEFT side. I had to go back and show them and they brought out another bag same deal..two lefts. Maybe just a inventorymis labeling issue.

• Moderators

Similar issue here. The parts computer does not list left and right, it just shows 2 clips. I needed the right clip, which the bulletin says is 986 561 738 01 01C. But I bought 986 561 737 01 01C and in the sealed plastic bag was a right clip, which the bulletin says is for the left side.

post-4-1097141152_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
Similar issue here. The parts computer does not list left and right, it just shows 2 clips. I needed the right clip, which the bulletin says is 986 561 738 01 01C. But I bought 986 561 737 01 01C and in the sealed plastic bag was a right clip, which the bulletin says is for the left side.

Do you remember what they charged for the ?pair?

Do you remember what they charged for the ?pair?

zlawman:

The windstop clips (or "windstop locking levers) are $2.09 each plus shipping, at Pelican Parts, here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...;FILTER_TOOL=ON

Most parts are a little cheaper at either Sunset Imports, which I believe is a sponsor of this forum, or Suncoast. To access Sunset Imports, click on "Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost", near the top of this page.

Regards, Maurice.

I noticed my windstop rattling but didn't think much of it until my wife also noticed it. That's when I realized one of these tabs was broken... Good thing I woke up and caught it before losing it. I've got it zip tied for now. I didn't realize you could replace these mounting tabs. I can see that Tool Pants was just prying them off. Do they just pry off and then snap into place? It looks like this is an easy DIY project to replace one, but I want to confirm before ordering.

Pry off the old one and snap on the new one.

Okay... can't get any easier than that! Thanks as always Jeff for sharing your wisdom. I've got to order a newer style coolant cap any way, so I'm making a list (and checking it twice) of little things like this to order from an on-line Porsche shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Jeff!!!

My closest Porsche dealer is about two hours away from me but only 15 minutes from Loren's house. So when I was down there for the Work On Cars Day this last weekend I picked up the windstop clip for $3.50. Install literally was a SNAP. :rolleyes: Here I thought this was a big deal when it broke, but ended up costing me less than a movie rental and took maybe 2 minutes tops to install!

:renntech:

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old topic,just got my Boxster 2001, wanted to take the Windstop off and it would not release,no way,managed to break the clip in the process,but still can not get the windstop of,any suggestions,wanted to let more air into the rear screen ,winter in NZ at present and a bit wet. Thanks Ross

HI, Finally got my windstop out,turns out someone had glued it all in [!!!!!] Bottom mounting clip/locator was also glued in so broke away from clips when it came out ....... .Drilled a small hole and put a small screw in to stop it moving backwards,seems to have done the trick. Sure is easy to take out/off when its not stuck together !!. ross