Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I installed a double din headunit!

I installed a double din AVIC unit couple of weeks ago.

My car is a Mk2 C4 996 PRE-MOST w/Bose.

I bought the double din installation kit from Eurospeed Motors http://stores.ebay.com/Euromotorspeed

IT WORKED PERFECTLY.

Wiring = 10 mins

Trim removal = 30 mins

AC control module re routing = 30 mins

Microphone wiring = 5 mins

Nav antenna install = 15 mins

Installing cage, setter etc = 10 mins

Installing unit = 10 mins

Putting everything back = 30 mins

Putting on beautiful trim plate that came with this kit = 5 mins

I made 3 phone calls and exchanged 3 emails with Troi - who I believe is the owner of Eurospeedmotors

UNBELIEVABLY helpful. Excellent support.

My wife couldn't believe the look and finish.

Also btw, I have confirmed (as others have as well) the stock headunit from Becker is horrible.

Using all stock bose amp and speakers with my new headunit, everything has 'woken up'.

ONE note: if you have 02 996 w/ factory cupholder, ditch the heat shield that comes with the kit. It won't fit. The cupholder is on a metal frame and performs the role of the heatshield.

All in all, it seemed a little initimidating to do this at first, but I got it done myself with some help from Troi!

if you are a little nervous, and not experienced with taking things apart, my advice is to buy this kit and go to a stereo store and tell them to install it for you...

Good luck!

post-49722-1258116058_thumb.jpg

post-49722-1258116068_thumb.jpg

post-49722-1258116074_thumb.jpg

post-49722-1258116084_thumb.jpg

post-49722-1258116091_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This is exactly what I am thinking of doing! I've got a 2000 Millenium with the stock nav system which I believe is a double DIN to start with and its terrible. I'm looking to do something like what you've done but the trim plate is really the missing piece. I don't see any for sale at Eurospeedmotors but will inquire.

A question: where did you put the nav antenna?

Thanks!

This is exactly what I am thinking of doing! I've got a 2000 Millenium with the stock nav system which I believe is a double DIN to start with and its terrible. I'm looking to do something like what you've done but the trim plate is really the missing piece. I don't see any for sale at Eurospeedmotors but will inquire.

A question: where did you put the nav antenna?

Thanks!

It can go where the OEM nav antenna is placed which is under the center cover where the dash meets the wind shield. 2nd picture down on the left hand side. Just behind the flasing red light (alarm) when alarm is activated.

Hi! Thats exactly what I thought but I didn't know how big the antenna is. Good to hear.

Any suggestions on procuring a trim plate? I'm not finding anything on the web for sale for a 996 and I'd rather not go through the trouble of making one.

What headunit did you opt for?

Thanks for your help.

Hi! Thats exactly what I thought but I didn't know how big the antenna is. Good to hear.

Any suggestions on procuring a trim plate? I'm not finding anything on the web for sale for a 996 and I'd rather not go through the trouble of making one.

What headunit did you opt for?

Thanks for your help.

I bought the double din installation kit from Eurospeed Motors http://stores.ebay.com/Euromotorspeed

which came with the trim plate. May want to see if they will sell separately. I went with the Pioneer AVIC D-3 and also bought the bluetooth adapter. Photo of finished installation.

Picture027.jpg