Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pinout for 6x40 M490 amp

I have a 2000 Boxster with the 4x40 Haes amp, and I just bought the 996 6x40 amp. I expected it to just plug right in, but the signal connector (large one) is keyed differently. Could somebody send me a pinout of the 6x40 amp so I can determine if the pinout is the same as on the 4x40. (I just bought rear speakers and would like to hook them up).

• 2 weeks later...
Could you post a picture of the large connector which does not fit. please from all angels.

Then I might be able to help you.

OK, the blue connector is the one that doesn't fit. post-3640-1102226208_thumb.jpgpost-3640-1102226394_thumb.jpgOn the existing 4x40 amp, the connector is black. All of the electrical pins line up perfectly and the connector on my wiring harness would fit except that the key tabs (seen in the pictures as one on the bottom middle-left and two on the top middle-right and right) are in different places on the blue connector than on the black connector.

I could cut the key tabs off with an exacto knife, and then the connector on my wiring harness would fit, but I don't want to fry the electronics if the pinouts are not the same.

I'm looking for some schematics showing both amplifiers so I can verify pinouts. Thanks.

Okay, looking good.

I am right now upgrading from the M490 to the M680 which is a DSP amplifier.

In my case I just have to cut away the key tabs. The large connector is used to connect the speakers and power to the amplifier.

Will post you some wiring diagrams ASAP.

• Moderators

I am not the electrical or stereo guy but I will take a guess.

Looks like you need to cut off the internal keys on the 996 amp so you can get the Boxster female connector on. That is my first pic.

I looked at the amp wiring diagrams for a 2000 Boxster and a 996 and they look the same to me for the pins. I was a history major so do not trust me. I scanned them so send me a direct email as you cannot do attachments with PM. There are 20 pins on each amp but not all the pins are used and/or work. To confuse you a bit the Boxster did come with a 6x40 amp with the DSP option which got you rear speakers.

On both amps pin 6 is the positive rear left speaker. 16 is the negative for the left.

On both amps pin 5 is the positive rear right speaker. 15 is the negative for the right.

Your Boxster female amp connector should have emptly holes for pins 6, 16, 5, and 15 if I am correct. The second pic has white lines to 6 and 16, and yellow lines to 5 and 15. Pins 1-10 are on the bottom row and 11-20 on the top. In the pic you count from right to left.

The round pins that I think fit in the male amp connector are 999 652 568 22. The third pic has a yellow line to a pair of those pins.

Let us know if you can confirm this info.

post-4-1102278421_thumb.jpg

post-4-1102278470_thumb.jpg

post-4-1102278516_thumb.jpg

OK, thanks to both of you, p.viby and tool pants. I now have my 6x40 amp installed, and it is working, better than my 4x40. Now I have fader control over the front speakers vs. the door speakers (fader did not work on 4x40). I still don't have sound to my newly installed rear speakers, but I'm not surprised after looking at the information tool pants sent regarding the rear speaker connections. Originally, I inserted the pins for the rear speakers into the connector according to the instructions given by PnP (the rear speakers I installed), but these instructions were for a M490 in a MY 2003/4 Boxster - they said to use connections 3, 12 and 4,13. So, I will go to the dealer and get some of the round pins, as I don't have the extraction tool necessary to remove the ones I have already installed. Once I connect according to the instructions given by tool pants (5,15 and 6,16), I will let you know what happens.

I appreciate the help both of you have given.

• Moderators

Can you give me the part number for the amp you used. Better yet, take a picture of the white sticker. Is the Boxster connector in fact empty for 6, 16, 5, and 15?

The pin numbering on the 2003/4 amp is different as you found out.

If my part number for the pins I think fit the amp connector are correct then I have an aftermarket removal tool made by Sir Tools for those pins. Your dealer will have the official tool so maybe they will let you borrow it for a few minutes. I do not know if the amp has a secondary lock you slide before you can use the tool to remove pins.

First pic is the Sir Tool extractor in another connector that uses the round pins I think are also used in the amp connector. Second pic is the factory tool, but my dealer also has a set of pin removal tools with blue handles that say Porsche on them.

post-4-1102315020_thumb.jpg

post-4-1102315096_thumb.jpg

Can you give me the part number for the amp you used.  Better yet, take a picture of the white sticker.

The pin numbering on the 2003/4 amp is different as you found out.

If my part number for pins I think fit the amp connector are correct then I have an aftermarket removal tool made by Sir Tools for those pins.  Your dealer will have the official tool so maybe they will let you borrow it for a few minutes.  I do not know if the amp has a secondary lock you slide before you can use the tool to remove pins.

First pic is the Sir Tool extractor in another connector that uses the round pins I think are also used in the amp connector.

Here is a picture of my new amp. post-3640-1102315798_thumb.jpg I'll see if the dealer will let me use his removal tool. Where did you get your Sir Tools? Removing the pins will be easier than buying new ones, cutting and re-crimping, etc.

• Moderators

Ok, stereo experts. For the Boxster rear speaker kit where the speakers are hooked up to the amp instead of the radio head. Can you use the 6 channel amp from a car with the DSP option 680 which is digital. Or, must you only use the non digital 6 channel amp.

post-4-1102406996.jpeg

Ok, stereo experts. For the Boxster rear speaker kit where the speakers are hooked up to the amp instead of the radio head. Can you use the 6 channel amp from a car with the DSP option 680 which is digital. Or, must you only use the non digital 6 channel amp.

You have to have the DSP Data signal in order for it to work.

But either you have the INFO/NAVI system and then you just need the M680 amplifier or you have the "normal" radio and then you also need a DSP receiver unit M680-662. That is the unit I think you "Tool Pants" had a picture of in another topic.

Edited by P.Viby

• 5 months later...

Guys,

Do you know if this 6-channel amp can replace my 4-channel amp in my 97 Boxster?

I know I'm gonna have to cut the plastic connector so the female connector will fit.

I'm just wondering if it's the only adjustement I have to make.

Thanks,

Fred

post-5108-1116538445.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi, a few questions if I may.

I have the four output amp in my Boxster for the dash and door speakers. I have recently fitted the rear parcel shelf (although you can't actually order it for the '97 it seems to fit ok) and am thinking about buying the rear speaker kit from Harvey.

I have recently bought a M490 amp off of Ebay (from a 2001> cab if my PET homework is correct 996.645.323.00 996 CABRIO M490) and would like to use this to replace the Boxster amplifier so I can run the dash, door and rear speakers off of it. How do I connect the rear speakers into the amp? I assume it is just a case of sloting the rear speaker wires into holes 6, 16, 5, 15? I assume Harvey supplies the Molex pins if you ask?

Further:

Rather than cutting the plastic connector I intend buying the correct one for the 6X40W amp and swapping the pins over from the current Boxster connector -- anyone else done this?

Did anyone ever find out what the difference between the cabrio and couple amps was?

Thanks.

PS Have scoured the internet for a Molex pin remover of the correct size as the Sir Tools one seems to have been discontinued. All I have found is this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

Edited by Paul Fraser

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

I bought a 996 amp some time ago and put it away. Then I bought a rear speaker kit and put it away. Still not installed, but thought I should finally test it out to at least see if the amp worked. I have a 1997 CDR-210 radio. The amp came from a 1999 C2 cabriole. That is the first picture.

Ignore the picture in my post #5 as those are not the internal keys you need to remove from the 996 amp female connector to fit the 986 male connector.

In the second and third pictures my pointer points to what I needed to remove so that the connectors would mate. These pictures were taken with the white sticker facing up.

In the fourth picture I am shaving away one of the internal keys with a wood chisel. The sticker is facing down.

Once the internal keys were removed I could plug the 996 amp into the 986 connector. I then shoved the wires for the left speakers into holes #16 and #6, and holes #15 and #5 for the right speakers. Turned the radio on and I got sound from the rear spakers. I was also able to fade from the dash/door speakers to the rear speakers.

post-4-1221601174_thumb.jpg

post-4-1221601193_thumb.jpg

post-4-1221601206_thumb.jpg

post-4-1221601694_thumb.jpg

I know that one 6 channel amp that will work is the 996 Coupe M490 (not sure of others)

You may need a magnifying glass but the pin assignments for the rear speaker kit are:

RL- 16

RL+ 6

RR- 15

RR+ 5

Use a wood chisel or exacto knife and remove this key from your 6x40W AMP.

834980325208_0_ALB.jpg

You will need the AMP adapter that attaches to the infamous brown plug. I have extra adapters if you need one. Enjoy your new AMP and rear speakers!

Edited by kbrandsma

I know that one 6 channel amp that will work is the 996 Coupe M490 (not sure of others)

You may need a magnifying glass but the pin assignments for the rear speaker kit are:

RL- 16

RL+ 6

RR- 15

RR+ 5

834980325208_0_ALB.jpg

You will need the AMP adapter that attaches to the infamous brown plug. I have extra adapters if you need one. Enjoy your new AMP and rear speakers!

What is the "infamous brown plug"?

RL- 16

RL+ 6

RR- 15

RR+ 5

834980325208_0_ALB.jpg

What is the "infamous brown plug"?

Maurice-

The brown plug is the connector piece between the rear speaker wiring harness plug (which usually connects to the back of the head unit) to the extension wires. The extension wires run to the front trunk amp. If you didn't get one w/ your kit, call Harvey and he'll send you one. Good luck! :)

Maurice-

The brown plug is the connector piece between the rear speaker wiring harness plug (which usually connects to the back of the head unit) to the extension wires. The extension wires run to the front trunk amp. If you didn't get one w/ your kit, call Harvey and he'll send you one. Good luck! :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Regards, Maurice.

Once you get the wiring to the rear of the radio from the rear speaker kit you connect the wires to a brown plug that mates to the radio. Once the pins are inserted they are difficult to remove. If you later need to go from the radio to your new 6 channel amp, a harness is used that also mates with the brown plug and allows enough wire to make it to the trunk. Harvey sells the long extension harness that goes from the radio to the AMP. I paid $25 to get one from him. I have short ones that can be used if you have not yet inserted pins into the brown plug or you have a pin removal tool like Tool Pants suggests.

Maurice-

Regards, Maurice.

Once you get the wiring to the rear of the radio from the rear speaker kit you connect the wires to a brown plug that mates to the radio. Once the pins are inserted they are difficult to remove. If you later need to go from the radio to your new 6 channel amp, a harness is used that also mates with the brown plug and allows enough wire to make it to the trunk. Harvey sells the long extension harness that goes from the radio to the AMP. I paid $25 to get one from him. I have short ones that can be used if you have not yet inserted pins into the brown plug or you have a pin removal tool like Tool Pants suggests.

Maurice-

Regards, Maurice.

I too have an HAES 6x40 amp but mine is a DSP which I assume means digital . Iwant to replace the stock 4x40 amp in my Boxster S with the new amp. Ialso have recently done the rear speaker to the H/U install. My H/U is a CDR220. Will the new 6x40 amp work with my system, plug-n-playwise if I cut the keys off the connectors? Thanks for all your help

I too have an HAES 6x40 amp but mine is a DSP which I assume means digital . Iwant to replace the stock 4x40 amp in my Boxster S with the new amp. Ialso have recently done the rear speaker to the H/U install. My H/U is a CDR220. Will the new 6x40 amp work with my system, plug-n-playwise if I cut the keys off the connectors? Thanks for all your help

Yes, but you need to pick up a DSP 6x40 amp (option M680) if your existing one says M680 on it. The non-DSP amps are labeled M490. :)

• 6 years later...