Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where is the Alarm control unit?

I just spoke to my friendly local dealer service manager as to why my alarm on my 98 keeps going off. To my dismay, he informed me that while this is a rare problem, he has had to change a couple of alarm control units, to the tune of $1400 - $1800! :eek:

I'm now searching for a used piece, but am being asked for the part number on the box. being in total shock over the price of a new one, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask where it's located.

can someone please let me know where to find it, so that I can start locking my car again?

• Moderators

Look under your drivers seat. The part number is on a white sticker. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...l=reverse++wire For your year and if you have the 535 option the control unit should be 996 618 260 07. The unit is year range specific.

You should have the car hooked up to the PST2 to see if the control unit is the problem, and a dealer has to program a replacement control unit for it to work.

post-4-1101116299.jpg

The part number on my unit is 996.618.260.07 and it was on a 1999.

Just remember, this a bit of a gamble. The part is no good to me and if you think you can use it just let me know.

I have gotten a lot of help from this forum and it is time for me to try to give back where I can.

Max

Very much appreciated guys!

As you know, P-car ownership can be very rewarding, but in my opinion, it would be frustrating as hell without these forums!

I agree with you 110% Max. the board works when we all try and give back a little of what we take from it.

And Tool Pants, YOU ARE THE MAN!

:cheers:

• 7 months later...
Good, search under Max's name.  I read his older messages.  He has a 2001 but bought a 1998-2000 used control unit.  You have to watch out for years on control units.

Max - I don't know if you still have that used control unit, but mine's gone out and ToolPants directed me here.

Does anyone else have one of these units for a '98 Boxster that they'd be willing to sell or anything?

Thanks for the help!

Scott

Good, search under Max's name.  I read his older messages.  He has a 2001 but bought a 1998-2000 used control unit.  You have to watch out for years on control units.

Max - I don't know if you still have that used control unit, but mine's gone out and ToolPants directed me here.

Does anyone else have one of these units for a '98 Boxster that they'd be willing to sell or anything?

Thanks for the help!

Scott

Scott,

I had one but I gave it away a while back. Are there any other misc. parts you are looking for? I have various items left over from my project.

MAX

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I have that ebay control unit. It is for a 1998-2000 Boxster or 1998-2000 996, with the 535 option. Might be willing to trade it for something.

Showed it to the mechanics at the local dealer and learned something. Hope I understood what I was told.

There is an immobilizer code already burned in the used unit which cannot be changed. That code matches the code in the DME of the donor car. If you put the used unit in your car your car will not start because the code from the used unit does not match the code in your DME.

Although you cannot change the code in a used control unit, you can change the code in a DME with the PST2/PIWIS. With the VIN from the donor car Atlanta will provide the immobilizer code for the used control unit. You then change the code in your DME to match the code in the used unit. I have the VIN for the donor car.

We opened the unit up and it looked ok. This unit sits under the driver's seat in a recessed area. The common problem is that if water get in this area it enters the control unit and fries the electronics.

post-4-1124567722_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i didn't think that i had an alarm on my car; the option number is not on the hood sticker and my key is just the standard (no buttons) key.

i took out my driver's seat this weekend while installing stereo equipment. under the seat is a component that looks like the one in the photos on this thread. the number on it is M531 though. the part number is 986.618.260.03. Anyone know what this is? thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~

insite

• Admin
i didn't think that i had an alarm on my car; the option number is not on the hood sticker and my key is just the standard (no buttons) key. 

i took out my driver's seat this weekend while installing stereo equipment.  under the seat is a component that looks like the one in the photos on this thread.  the number on it is M531 though.  the part number is 986.618.260.03.  Anyone know what this is?  thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~

insite

Anti-drive-off featue and central locking.