Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Driver Side Window Glass Failed to Drop

Hi Folks, :help:

Just want to see if any one has had the same experience with your drive-side window before.

The driver-side window galss of my 02 C4 Cab failed to drop before the driver-side door closed today. The window glass hit and bounced off the side-frame of the convertible top. :angry:

Anybody had the same problem before? What caused this?

Is there a way to check whether any part of the window glass assembly is damaged as a result of this? :unsure:

Thanks!

• Moderators

You have to give it some time to drop.

If it happens again take it in. The common causes per Manny at my local dealer is a bad window regulator or micro switch on the door handle. To find the cause the mechanic removes the door panel to see what is going on when the handle is operated.

post-4-1104564061_thumb.jpg

TP,

Thanks for your input!

On a slightly different note, I was told to avoid taking the door panels apart at all because of the risk of getting rattles/noises afterwards. My buddy's 03 C4S has the infamous window streak marks but refuses to take it to the Porsche dealership for the warranty repairs.

"I could live with the streaks but not the potential rattling", he said.

Does he worry too much on this?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Wow...searched worked! :)

Any updates on this? My 99' 996 Cab is starting to do this on the drivers side door. Also of note, the window will only "move" in small increments when using the window raise/lower switch?? I unhooked the battery to see if it would reset anything and seemed to help for a day or two, but now its back. Any thoughts?

I would like to repair this issue myself if possible....

Thanks in advance!!!

Tim

Edited by tsweat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My car is doing this same thing the dealer said it was the window regulator, his cost to replace $500 $290 for the part and $200 to install. However the window regulator can be had for $175 from http://www.the-best-source.com/ I'll let you know how easy it was when I'm finished.

D Man

Well I spent Saturday morning changing my window regulator on the driver side, suprizingly it was not that hard, The tips I have are as follows. The Bombay digital link had more than enough info . to complete the job.

1. Roll the Window down before disconnecting the battery, if you are going to disconnect the battery; Standard operating procedure. You will need to reconnect the battery when it comes to the adjustment phase.

2. Be very careful not to damage the foam insulation when gaining access to the Window regulator. I resued mine by being careful ($75.00 part)

3. Mark the lower attach legs of the old regulator, will help when installing new part and require less adjusting.

4. Mark the Glass at the lower attach points, make sure its very visible befor you remove the galss.

5. After installing the regulator and installing the glass back into the regulatir attach points, make very sure you dont over torque the Jaws holding the Glass 7.00 foot lbs (Med Hand tight)

6. The adjustment of the new window regulator took anly 2 try to get it right, with a aft attach point adjutment and it was good.

7. Heres the 2 links again if you need it.

http://www.ecoutez.net/boxster/door-panel-removal/

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

D_Man

B) post-2874-1127669968_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Great website instructions -- "saved my life". I just took delivery of a 2001 996T a few days ago, and the regulator needed to be changed, and I was able to do it myself thanks to the great information that was provided --- nothing like getting to know your car by taking it apart 24 hours after you get it!

Thank you.

GV :D

Does anyone know the website for the instructions for replacing the window regulator?

D Man

Best links for Door panel removal and window regulator replacment.

1) http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

2) http://www.ecoutez.net/boxster/door-panel-removal/

Enjoy

D

Passenger side window just failed on mine.

Thanks for all the great info on how to get it repaired.

I'm assuming my motor is fine as I can see some failures on the regulator. Some of the plastic cable attach points are broke and it looks like the steel cable jumped off one of the pulleys.

post-9368-1227324084_thumb.jpg

post-9368-1227324099_thumb.jpg

post-9368-1227324110_thumb.jpg

Passenger side window just failed on mine.

Thanks for all the great info on how to get it repaired.

I'm assuming my motor is fine as I can see some failures on the regulator. Some of the plastic cable attach points are broke and it looks like the steel cable jumped off one of the pulleys.

The electric motor that operates on the window very rarely fails. Almost every time, it will be a window regulator failure.

Regards, Maurice.

Got the regulator UPS today from Sunset and got it installed.

Thought I had an issue but Renntech saved me again... http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...646&hl=stop

the shipped regulator had the two stops installed and I didn't notice so the window wouldn't go all the way down.

Thanks again for the help all. :renntech:

• 4 weeks later...
My car is doing this same thing the dealer said it was the window regulator, his cost to replace $500 $290 for the part and $200 to install. However the window regulator can be had for $175 from http://www.the-best-source.com/ I'll let you know how easy it was when I'm finished.

D Man

Apparently there has been a price hike. I just checked the same site and it's not $239...

D Man

Apparently there has been a price hike. I just checked the same site and it's not $239...

did you check with sunset?

D Man

did you check with sunset?

No, not yet. I have suncoast in my backyard though. I'll give them a call.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday my driver's side window failed.

It doesn't go down/up when the door is opened/closed.

When I use the switch I just get a nasty noise as if the motor turns but doesn't move the window.

I've found that if I push the window down and operate the button the window will move down, likewise for pulling up.

Any ideas?

I notice from previous receipts that it has had some new parts, window regulator I think?

1999 996 c4 cab ROW

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

A tech at my local indy suggested that there is a way to modify the window regulator using a metal collar instead of the plastic piece that breaks easily (see earlier pictures) so that you don't have to keep fixing them. Any ideas/links to the kind of modification he is describing?

My passenger window doesn't drop as much as my driver's side, so I think it's only a matter of time before failure. It also has a large streak mark on it as well (need to search for that one).

• 4 months later...

Soliciting advice here:

I've read all the posts that I could find here so tell me if what I am thinking makes sense please.

(1999 C4 Coupe w/ 75K miles):

About a week ago when I shut the driver door the window binded and hit against the roof seal while closing the door.

If the car is unlocked and I lift up lightly on the outside door handle I hear the window drop, but it's not dropping much - maybe like 1/16th of an inch at most.

Lightly pulling on the inside door handle does nothing. No noise, no drop.

Using the key in the door lock the window fully opens and closes as it does using the inside window switches. No issues there.

Am I headed down the right train of thought that I've got a micro switch out?

Thanks for any advice!

• Admin
Soliciting advice here:

I've read all the posts that I could find here so tell me if what I am thinking makes sense please.

(1999 C4 Coupe w/ 75K miles):

About a week ago when I shut the driver door the window binded and hit against the roof seal while closing the door.

If the car is unlocked and I lift up lightly on the outside door handle I hear the window drop, but it's not dropping much - maybe like 1/16th of an inch at most.

Lightly pulling on the inside door handle does nothing. No noise, no drop.

Using the key in the door lock the window fully opens and closes as it does using the inside window switches. No issues there.

Am I headed down the right train of thought that I've got a micro switch out?

Thanks for any advice!

More likely the window regulator.

If it were the switch I doubt the window would drop at all.

I just went out and held my thumb on the window while pulling the door handle and 1/16th" is overstated I guess. It makes noise and it moves down but probably only like a couple millimeters.

Inside latch definitely does NOT move window.

I can push the window down by hand about 1/4", passenger window cannot and both latches lower window about 1/2".

You still think regulator Loren, anybody else?