Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installing in-dash cupholder

I just got my hands on a new in-dash cupholder for my MY98, but it didn't come with instructions. It was easy enough to assemble, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to fit it.

I know from posts I've read in the past that the AC controls need to move down to the upper container unit space. This makes sense, as the faceplate is the same size as the AC control unit, and they won't both fit up top. But it seems that the lower container space won't be big enough to hold the AC control unit. There is a 'lid' above the container space that looks removable, but even if I do that, it looks like the Faceplate will still stick up above the side trim. It als has a slight curve at the top that looks like it won't mate up properly.

Does anyone have any insights on this, or maybe a picture of what it should look like?

Thanks.

- Pete

The AC unit is small and mounts in either slot in the lower console.

The face-plate you have is for a standard slot, meaning only the upper slot in the lower console will fit. The dealer can get you a smaller faceplace to make it fit in the lower part of the lower console.

But ask around the useability of the cup holders - I've been hearing that drinks tend to fall out of them, and owners have been moving the AC unit up (after removing the drink holders).

Found this pic of the unit mounted in the lower slot -

0234.jpg

• Moderators

I came up with the word cupholderectomy almost 4 years ago when we removed the in-dash ones from a 2001. Now you want to put them in. :P

There is a 4 page instruction sheet from Porsche on how to do the retrofit. The retrofit kit has all the parts except for the a/c display trim piece for it's new location just above the shift. You need to buy it. It is not included in the kit because the trim you need could be in leather, wood, etc.

This is a before and after shot.

post-4-1104793934.jpg

I came up with the word cupholderectomy almost 4 years ago when we removed the in-dash ones from a 2001.  Now you want to put them in. :P

There is a 4 page instruction sheet from Porsche on how to do the retrofit.  The retrofit kit has all the parts except for the a/c display trim piece for it's new location just above the shift.  You need to buy it.  It is not included in the kit because the trim you need could be in leather, wood, etc.

This is a before and after shot.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

The pics are particularly useful. I get the extra trim piece from the dealer, and then I'll be in business. I'll also keep all the old parts, in case I discover what my predecessors have and decide to reverse the operation.

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone else do for a cupholder, if not the in-dash unit? All the aftermarket stuff I've seen looks cheesy or ineffective.

Certainly, you aren't electing to go without coffee!?!

Thanks.

- Pete

• Moderators

On 1997-2000 there were holes in the side vents to mount this style cupholder. Porsche pulled this style cupholder from the cars in 1997, so we had to buy them from Germany. You can now buy them in the US.

Porsche eliminated the holes in 2001 when the in-dash style came out, which was interesting because if you had PCM or DSP you could not have the in-dash cupholders as there was no room for them. And you could not have the vent style because there were no holes.

The a/c trim piece for black plastic is 996 552 339 00 01C

post-4-1104799224.jpg

You can also find inserts for the center armrest compartment that will allow you to put drinks in there, though its less convenient and your arm will hit the cup if you're not careful.

I simply got a travel mug for my morning blast of cafffffffffeine...too many mornings of trying to juggle a coffee shop cup in my hands while driving a manual in the snow almost left me wrapped around a tree with coffee burns on my legs. ;-)

The a/c trim piece for black plastic is 996 552 339 00 01C

Man, Your good!

I just called the dealer to have him order the part. I got the part number (the same one you listed) from him, and told him I'd check it out to make sure I didn't have him order the wrong thing (I trust this site a bit more than I trust the dealer ;) ). I thought I was being proactive, but you beat me to the punch. As usual, I'm impressed.

Do you happen to know off hand if that part is for the lower of the 2 storage spaces (as in the picture you posted above), or the upper one where the CD holder is?

Thanks!

- Pete

• Moderators

The only trim piece Porsche has for the a/c display just above the batwing, like in the picture, is what I gave you. Porsche does not sell a trim piece for where the cd holder is in the picture.

You can do the retrofit now while you are waiting for the trim piece. You will be running the a/c display wiring harness down to the batwing. It is very long so there is no problem with it reaching. I suggest you remove the radio or at least pull it out a bit first, as the connectors for the harness are large and it is hard to get them past the back of the radio head.

post-4-1104884081_thumb.jpg

The only trim piece Porsche has for the a/c display just above the batwing, like in the picture, is what I gave you.  Porsche does not sell a trim piece for where the cd holder is in the picture. 

You can do the retrofit now while you are waiting for the trim piece.  You will be running the a/c display wiring harness down to the batwing.  It is very long so there is no problem with it reaching.  I suggest you remove the radio or at least pull it out a bit first, as the connectors for the harness are large and it is hard to get them past the back of the radio head.

Great.

I have to pull the radio anyway - I am planning on moving the radio down a slot to the the upper storage space, because the top row of the LED display is hard to read on my headunit due to the angle. The storage spaces are at a bit of an angle, so moving the radio down to take advantage of the angle looks like it will take care of this.

Thanks again - I'll post a dash shot once everything is done for the sake of anyone else that's interested in doing this.

- Pete