Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OEM Porsche Antifreeze/Coolant

Are there any after market brands of coolant that meet or exceed the Porsche brand coolant for the 99 C2. I was told by Sunset that there are no commercially available A/M coolants that meet Porsche specs. When I asked the Service Writer what those specs were he didn't have a clue (not surprising). Its like 14.00 a Quart! Jim

• Like 1

The Porsche antifreeze is a private label made by ELF. IMO (and this is what I do) you can use PEAK , Penzzoil or any other major brand long life antifreeze. You should be changing the coolant every 2 -3 years to be sure long life of the system.

I have changed mine twice on my current Porsche and use whatever brand is available at the time.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

There is nothing unique about the componants of the 996 cooling system. You are right though, some people feel compelled to use only Porsche parts, oils and other additives. I guess they just like spending money unnecessarily. Enough people must do so otherwise the Dealers would not private label these items.

• Admin

If you are going to switch brands then be sure that you flush all the old out first. The Porsche (ELF) organic antifreeze does not react well with some other traditional antifreezes - that is it turns the mixture into "jello".

So, I think the keys here are antifreeze thats rated for alloy engines and don't mix types.

• Moderators

The coolant container use to have Elf on it then Arteco, due to name change. Now the only name on it is Porsche.

Arteco is a joint venture b/w Texaco and the euro chemical company Elf that was entered into in 1998 according to their website. I asked US Chevron/Texaco several years ago if I could buy an equal product at any normal car parts place. Chevron contaced europe. Havoline and Chevron Dex-Cool extended life meets the requirements of Porsche but "are not yet approved." This is the email response I received.

"Subject: RE: Coolant for Porsche Boxster

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:07:47 -0700

To: "'Jeff Lopez'"

Jeff,

The ChevronTexaco products in the US that meet the performance requirements of Porsche, but not yet approved are as follows:

Havoline® DEX-COOL® Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant

Chevron DEX-COOL® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Bill"

Like Porsche is ever going to approve something something I can buy at any parts place for a fraction of the cost.

I am on one of the UK Boxster boards. In the UK Mobil sells a coolant approved by Porsche. Do not think Mobil sells coolant in the US. Guess Mobil got the approval because they already pay Porsche for the Mobil 1 sticker under the rear lid. :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

If you are going to switch brands then be sure that you flush all the old out first. The Porsche (ELF) organic antifreeze does not react well with some other traditional antifreezes - that is it turns the mixture into "jello".

So, I think the keys here are antifreeze thats rated for alloy engines and don't mix types.

I went through all the old threads but could not completely conclude if Elf/Porsche original coolant is the same as VW/Audi G12 coolant. Getting G12 would be convenient for me, but I want original, and I know that is Elf. If I can somehow get a confirmation that the Elf coolant is also labelled as VW/Audi G12, then that would be really easy for me to get.

Thanks!

• Moderators

+1 On Loren's comments. We have had more than one M96 flat bedded in with cooling systems full of partially gelled crud as the result of mixing coolants. Not all brands seem to do it, but when it happens, be prepared for hours of work to clear the system, or paying a lot of $ to have a shop do it. We handle these on a strict "time and materials" pricing basis because you cannot estimate the time needed.

Once you see the bill for trying to save some money on antifreeze, the OEM coolant at $24 a gallon is a real bargin..............

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI: Just bought a 1L bottle of 'Porsche' brand coolant and the parts guy says that Porsche now use ONE coolant for all models of cars and SUV's. They used to sell 'pink' color and there was a greenish and the *new* coolant is a pee colored yellowish. It can be mixed in with any of the older Porsche brands.

After researching I was able to determine that the Porsche brand coolant is actually ELF Glacelf Supra Anti-Freeze. Links to sites that support this conclusion are listed at bottom of this post.

Links for ELF Glacelf Supra Anti-Freeze

Data Sheet: http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/FichePDF/lang_1/127.pdf

http://www.bombaydigital.com/arenared/1998/10/29/1

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=182

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15103

For those in Australia you can source ELF Glacelf Supra Anti-Freeze through www.elfoil.com.au. Price was A$5.00/litre (as at Oct/2009). Make sure it’s the pink organic product. I bought 15 x 1litre containers.

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2010 at 9:05 AM, torontoworker said:

FYI: Just bought a 1L bottle of 'Porsche' brand coolant and the parts guy says that Porsche now use ONE coolant for all models of cars and SUV's. They used to sell 'pink' color and there was a greenish and the *new* coolant is a pee colored yellowish. It can be mixed in with any of the older Porsche brands.

It's a yellowish color?

Confused because this says it's a red color???? http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004330105.html?Category_Code=996WaterCooling

• Admin

It's a yellowish color?

Confused because this says it's a red color???? http://www.suncoastp...996WaterCooling

post-1-081652800 1277648622_thumb.jpg

(image courtesy Tool Pants)

So is yellow the most recent stuff?

What is the red then, in regards to the coolant color timeline lol?

or is red the pink?

Sorry really confused on this.

Edited by 0100

• 3 years later...

Just had my Tiptronic serviced along with a new water pump. Is the fluid in this picture consistent with the original (or new) Coolant. This is a new (to me) 99 C2 tip and I hadn't noticed the color in the reservoir until yesterday. It doesn't feel like oil when I dip my finger into it.

post-93329-0-34338700-1387419077_thumb.j

Edited by RD996