Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

MAF/ Air Mass Meter Replacement

Hey guys, i recently discovered that i needed a new air mass meter. My mechanic is going to charge me $604 + $174 for diagnostic (which i've already paid so i know it's the MAF) and i'd like to do it myself. Anyways, i know that replacing the meter is a relatively simple task (take out old, put in new) but he told me something that made me think i couldn't do it on my own. He said that since the meter went out the computer has been compensating for the lack of a meter and adjusting the fuel mixture itself. Apparently the computer does some time averaging and comes up with some sort of adjustment value that it uses to set the mixture. he said that when the meter is replaced, he'd have to go in and reset some of these values back to their MAF-is-working settings. so, i assume i can't do this on my own, but i want to know if there are any other solutions out there. sorry if it was posted in another forum but i haven't been able to find any info anywhere. i trust my mechanic, but it seems that if the comptuer time-averaged itself to a compensating fuel mixture, then it can uncompensate itself back to it's original values. PLEASE HELP!

lsc

• Moderators

I don't think so. The computer/DME is going to adapt itself when the new correct sensor is put in. For your 2.5 you need the same sensor Nadar showed in message number 64 in this link. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=659&st=0

Make sure the new sensor has the same part numbers on it as does your old sensor.

I dont remember which years and sensors it was but there was an updated sensor which went installed requires the DME to be reporgrammed. Unfortunately I cant remember which cars require this.

Someone here might know or you might try contacting the shops foreman. If its not one of the cars that require the DME reprogram then you can do it yourself with out worry.

Edited by PTEC

• Admin
could anyone verify the years that DON'T require the computer to be reconfiged?

According to the TSB the new sensor started with the following VINs:

Boxster: 98 6YS 62 0415 2.7 liter

Boxster: 98 0YU 62 5100 2.7 liter

Boxster S: 98 0YS 66 0258 3.2 liter

Boxster S: 98 3YU 66 2414 3.2 liter

996 606 124 00 Old style HFM (2.7 and 3.2)

986 606 125 01 New style HFM (2.7 and 3.2)

• Moderators

For the 2.5 non e-gas cars, 1997-1999, there has only been one sensor. Period. No reprogram is needed when it is replaced with the same sensor as there is just only one sensor part number. You cannot use the other sensors as the DME version changed when e-gas came out. The VINs in Lorens list are 2000.

No updated sensor for us 2.5 owners, as Porsche no longer supports the antiques.

• 4 months later...