Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have been plagued by noises coming from the rear - rattling, snare drum-like - two dealers have claimed its the heat shields and "fixed" the problem :P . Dealers couldn't make the noise go away. I removed the heat shields myself and the noise stayed. Finally, I tapped around with a rubber mallet and found the source of the noise: the catalytic converters. Something inside is loose. Does anybody have experience with this? I'm afraid if I go back to the dealer, they may start up with the heat shield thing again - I don't want to waste my time.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a photo of a cat with a hairline crack in the weld bead. It is off of a MB ML 320. The cat is not damaged, that is the inside of same has not come apart, there is no rattling. It's going to be TIG welded tomorrow and I'll reinstall it then. I'm sure that same can be done on a Porsche cat assuming the contents of the cat are not broken.

crack.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have been plagued by noises coming from the rear - rattling, snare drum-like - two dealers have claimed its the heat shields and "fixed" the problem :P . Dealers couldn't make the noise go away. I removed the heat shields myself and the noise stayed. Finally, I tapped around with a rubber mallet and found the source of the noise: the catalytic converters. Something inside is loose. Does anybody have experience with this? I'm afraid if I go back to the dealer, they may start up with the heat shield thing again - I don't want to waste my time.

noise is from the mufflers...current tech bullentin on this issue.

• 1 year later...

:cursing: This has been making me upset for weeks... the same rattling in my cat (yes, one of them-Passenger Side), and a check engine light, has the 996 going in for service... a day or two before any of this started-- the car was at the dealership, I don't know how coincidental this was, but I had them do an oil change and replace the airbox filter... how realistic is it to question that they knocked off a vaccum hose, or broke the O2 sensor or worse....?

The funny party is that the act like--hey its no big deal... the car had been drinking fuel.. and I mean drinking

You folks note the noise, but were you also getting a CEL?

• 5 months later...

3 months ago, my local dealer noticed a rattle in my Catalytic Converter and informed me that it would need to be replaced at an exorbitant cost. I searched around on the internet to find a used or replacement converter. What I found instead was a EPA Emissions Warranty that states that for cars 1995 and newer cats are under a emissions warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles. I called my local dealer and he said he would look into it and get back to me. A few days later he called and said to bring my car in for a cat replacement at no cost to me. Sweet Deal

I just had the same problem. A rattle sound from the mufflers after a day of DE at VIR. When I inspected by tapping with a rubber mallet, found that the cat sounded like it had loose marbles inside of it. Called our local dealer and he has replaced a few since the DE season started, apparently the vibration of running over the "gators" or rumble strips as you track out can loosen the welds. Warranty work.

Guys,

Mine turned out to be a bad CAT on bank 2, it was noisy and the internal parts had come loose plugging the flow. I've gained back a whole bunch of power at the top end, and I have a beautiful sound back from the exhaust.

Incidentally it was a battle with the dealer to get it covered under EPA mandate warranty (8yrs, 75k). The excuse was my car is "modified", It has GHL headers and exhaust. If it had a Porsche sport exhaust they said it would be no problem. :unsure:

My local shop went to bat for me (Foreign Affairs, Pompano Beach FL) told them it's baloney, went to PCNA. Bottom line, they paid.