Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wind Deflector Install

Wind Deflector Install

Just purchased a wind deflector and the mounting kit. Anyone have instructions on how to install it? Thanks. Edit -- please view the support topic here for details

Edited by jambajuice
  • Upvote 2

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

Looks like the 986 kit. I can even see the pop rivets

You just pry/pull the roll bar pading off, same as a 986. You can do it with your fingers if you have strong hands. I use a trim tool, just because I have one.

I spoke to a mechanic with a failing memory who did the 987 retrofit a long time ago, so do not quote him/me on these directions.

The side clips need 1 rivet per clip. The 987 roll bar does not have a pre-drilled hole like a 986. But there is a dimple for where to drill. The rivets are metric. On the 986 they are also metric but I used a 1/8" bit.

The center piece gets riveted to the back of the middle roll bar padding with 2 rivets. 2 holes to drill. He could not remember if there are dimples for the holes or he measured.

Take better pictures when you do this, for the next guy.

post-4-1139871005_thumb.jpg

post-4-1139871374_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found my rivet gun, so here's the installation:

post-9198-1141927716_thumb.jpg

1. Lever off the padding with a plastic lever to avoid scratching up the paint. There are M5 studs in the back of the padding which press into nylon inserts in the roll-hoops. They're pretty firm, but will budge with enough brute force.

post-9198-1141927930_thumb.jpg

2. Rivet the upper brackets in place, using the supplied rivets with the expander protruding from the end. It may be worth having the screen clipped into position, to make sure everything's lined up.

post-9198-1141928132_thumb.jpg

3. Rivet the centre bracket to the inside of the centre roll-bar padding, using the closed-off rivets. There should be holes pre-drilled into the padding. Don't spend hours trying to drill holes into the roll-bar like I did.

post-9198-1141928333_thumb.jpg

4. Press everything back into place and voila! All this ought to take less than half an hour: that's about £100 saved from the local Porsche dealership.

Edited by willga

• Moderators

It is not clear to me.

Did you in fact have to drill the holes for the roll bar clips on your 987. If so, were there dimples in the roll bar so you would know where to drill.

Good job. I am going to ask my local dealer how much they charge for such a simple install.

It is not clear to me.

Did you in fact have to drill the holes for the roll bar clips on your 987. If so, were there dimples in the roll bar so you would know where to drill.

Good job. I am going to ask my local dealer how much they charge for such a simple install.

Holes were pre-drilled in both the roll-hoops and the padding.

post-9198-1141950772_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I added the wind deflector (2007).

Thanks, Tool Pants for the link.

The most difficult part was figuring out how to pull off the padding. I tried to simply pull it off with my hands but couldn't. I decided to use a screwdriver wrapped in a couple layers of cloth to pry the padding off. I took my time because I was extra cautious to not scratch my Box. It pops off pretty easy once you get some leverage under the pad.

The pads are held to the bars with pins that lock into plastic fittings. The kit comes with new plastic fittings. They are easy to swap out.

The holes were all pre-drilled. The center clip is riveted to the pad, not the bar.

The whole install is pretty easy and takes about a half hour. Also, you get an excuse to buy a new tool (riveter, $15)

• 4 months later...

Easy as pie to replace a broken clip on my 986. Had to replace both pieces on the drivers side. Thanks for the pics and the instructions. I knew it wouldn't be difficult, but this place always puts me at ease when I have to disassemble some part of my baby! Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I brought out my 02 S on Friday and the clean center deflector was rattling. I notice that the release lever on the right hand side of the center deflector was broken off.

I looked around a bit online and I couldn't find anywhere to order only a replacement clear center deflector--all the kits seem to be for the entire install.

Can anyone offer some advice. I'd rather not have to pay the $300 or so for the whole kit when all I need is a replacement deflector. But if I have to...

Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

post-9198-1141928132_thumb.jpg

3. Rivet the centre bracket to the inside of the centre roll-bar padding, using the closed-off rivets. There should be holes pre-drilled into the padding. Don't spend hours trying to drill holes into the roll-bar like I did.

Willga or anyone who has done this before,

is that how the rivets supposed to look after you put the clip onto the center padding? and what is that long screw on the lower left of the picture? is that what's holding the padding to the roll bar? or can the center padding be removed like the roll hoop padding (prying it apart)

Thanks

Willga or anyone who has done this before,

is that how the rivets supposed to look after you put the clip onto the center padding? and what is that long screw on the lower left of the picture? is that what's holding the padding to the roll bar? or can the center padding be removed like the roll hoop padding (prying it apart)

Thanks

The long threaded section at the bottom left hand corner is an interference fit into some soft plastic bushes in the roll-bar ie yes, it holds the padding on and yes, you remove the padding by prying it off with a soft upholstery tool.

That is how the pop-rivets look before they are 'popped'. Clip on, rivets in place, apply rivet gun, 'pop' - pulls out expander.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the windstop kit and the riveter to install it myself, but i am not sure which rivet to use to for the attachment on the roll hoops and which rivets to use for the middle padding. i have attached a picture of the rivets that are in the kit. the rivets on the left have a darker stem and don't have a little knob thing on the end, the rivets in the middle in the picture has silver color stem and a knob at one end of the rivets.

in the kit i also found 8 pieces of plastic things, what are these for?

thanks everyone, just want to be clear before i start prying off the padding

SGT

post-32919-1217644540_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I have not put in the 987 kit but I can figure it out. The rivets with the knob thing at the end are called open end rivets. Those I would use on the middle section of the roll bar padding, contrary to how willga did it. The closed end rivets that you say have a darker stem I would used for the 2 clips that are riveted to the roll bar hoops. The 986 windstop mounting kit only has the closed end type of rivets. Interesting that the 987 kit has 2 types of rivets. A closed end rivet does not permit water to seep into the rivet.

Those plastic things are bushing that go into the roll bar. They look just like the ones in my pic which is from a 986. When you pull the padding off the bushings may pull off the rollbar. You will see what those bushings are for once you get the padding off. They get damaged a bit when you pull the padding off, so they are included in the 987 kit, but not the 986 kit.

post-4-1217674471_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I called my local Porsche dealer to ask them how much they would charge to install one of these on my 2006 Boxster, and they said around $250. Following these directions I did it myself in around 20 minutes. Great instructions and thanks for all of the photos, as it really clarified what needed to be done. Unbelievable that the dealer charges this much for such a simple project. And all of the holes were indeed pre-drilled on my 987.

I called my local Porsche dealer to ask them how much they would charge to install one of these on my 2006 Boxster, and they said around $250. Following these directions I did it myself in around 20 minutes. Great instructions and thanks for all of the photos, as it really clarified what needed to be done. Unbelievable that the dealer charges this much for such a simple project. And all of the holes were indeed pre-drilled on my 987.

Way to go Jim!

Welcome to Renntech! :welcome:

• 6 months later...

I bought a wind deflector kit for my 2008 Boxster ( so it's a 987 ? ) and the local Porsche dealership asks for $340 to install, I think that is way too much for a simple job and I am trying to install it myself.

Thanks for all the instructions/photos above, very helpful.

My only question is that according to all experiences from everyone,

which tool is best to use for prying/pulling rollbar-paddings off ?

( two paddings over the two hoops and the middle padding over the center bar)

I am very cautious when working on my Boxster baby and try not breaking any part of this baby.

Thanks much in advance!

• 1 year later...

Guys,

Really appreciate the info in this string, like most of you my Box didnt come with the factory fitted windstopper (why are people so tight!!) hey ho, I was quoted £280 plus VAT (20%) for fitting. Following the instructions below it took me 15 mins and yes I have a new rivet gun too!!

Cheers

Phil