Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help needed - Interior trim piece removal

I have decided to add some more carbon trim to the interior of my TT. This after drooling over some of Kevin M.'s and Gary (FL) carbon interior trim project images.

I need help and detailed instructions for the following tasks:

1) Removal of instrument gauge trim surround, and

2) Removal of switch panel 'horseshoe' (the panel holding the PSM and other switches)

I am also doing the lower trim panel piece and dash trim strips (basically the factory small carbon package) but already have found good instructions on this and other sites.

Loren and others - can you help? I would especially appreciate workshop manual illustrations where relevant. Any other tips are welcomed.

BTW Loren - Great Site. Thanks.

Jeff :)

• Admin

1. Removing instrument cluster

a. Disconnect the battery and cover terminal or battery.

b. Switch on the hazard warning light switch (button comes out). On the sides of the button, there are small openings that project beyond the dashboard insert.

c. Insert two small screwdrivers into the openings and pull off the ... button A towards the front.

d. Unclip the collar from the dashboard insert. The hazard warning light switch B is held in the dashboard insert by two locking hooks.

e. Press the right locking hook towards the switch, grip the button holder with a pair of pliers and pull out the switch towards the front.

f. Undo 5.0 x 30 Torx screw on the dashboard insert.

g. Pull off plug on the left side and undo the 5.0 x 30 Torx screw.

h. Unclip the dashboard insert and disconnect the electrical plug connections.

i. Detach the instrument cluster from the dashboard insert and remove it.

cluster_off.gif

(Jeff's pic)

trip_haz3a.sized.jpg

Then release the cluster from the back of the housing.

2. Don't work about the clip in the vent unless you want to remove it too. (Jeff's pic)

03_dash_trim_removal2.sized.jpg

• 3 years later...

For those of you attempting to remove the Instrument Cluster for the first time, I've added a little more detail to Loren's instructions regarding how to remove the bezel around the hazard switch. A seemingly easy task that turned into more than an hour ordeal because I couldn't figure out initially just how hard to pull or where. See the details that are in ITALICS below.

Hope this makes the job a LOT easier!

1. Removing instrument cluster

a. Disconnect the battery and cover terminal or battery.

b. Switch on the hazard warning light switch (button comes out). On the sides of the button, there are small openings that project beyond the dashboard insert.

c. Insert two small screwdrivers into the openings and pull off button A towards the front.

d. Unclip the collar from the dashboard insert. (SO JUST WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?)

What this means is that you need to remove the bezel or (the "collar") that surrounds the hazard switch. The bezel is press fit into two plastic retainer clips on either side of the switch. These clips hold the bezel in VERY firmly. The simplest way to remove the bezel is to look for a rectangular opening on the right inside edge of the Bezel. Insert a large blade screw driver into the opening (DO NOT PRY IT OUT - You'll break it) and then using a pair of pliers pull straight out on the screwdriver as close to the bezel as possible. It take some firm pulling to remove, but the Bezel will pop out. This technique will not damage your leather covering.

e. The hazard warning light switch B is held in the dashboard insert by two locking hooks.

f. Press the right locking hook towards the switch, grip the button holder with a pair of pliers and pull out the switch towards the front.

f. Undo 5.0 x 30 Torx screw on the dashboard insert.

g. Pull off microphone plug on the left side. To remove the plug use a paperclip that has been bent into a small hook, insert through the mesh and gently pull it out.

h. You will then find the Torx Screw about 1.5cm inside. Undo the 5.0 x 30 Torx screw.

i. Unclip the dashboard insert and disconnect the electrical plug connections. To remove you need to press in the locking tabs before you can push the release levers (grey) up. The Connectors then selr remove as you push the release levers up.

i. Detach the instrument cluster from the dashboard insert and remove it.

cluster_off.gif