Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Pads ... Found Engine Problem ... Help

I just finished changing the brake pads on my 99 C4. Thanks for all of the assistance and a greate DIY page.

During the process, I noticed an engine related problem on the drivers side. Not sure what it is other than 'not good' so I took a photo.

Can someone help me target the problem?

For unknown reasons, I am unable to attach the picture but it is posted at www.mccormack.us

Thx.

Edited by skymast

The leak looks to be mostly the Variocam lifting element seal. Really easy to replace.

The leak also can be coming from the oil separator just above the cylinder head and running down. Not easy to replace.

Also oil can be leaking from the oil pump o-ring and the green seal for cam timing reference. The cam cover can also be leaking.

The leak looks to be mostly the Variocam lifting element seal. Really easy to replace.

The leak also can be coming from the oil separator just above the cylinder head and running down. Not easy to replace.

Also oil can be leaking from the oil pump o-ring and the green seal for cam timing reference. The cam cover can also be leaking.

Can the lifting element seal simply be tightened or does the seal need to be replaced? if it needs to be replaced, what is the process for doing this?

While it looks like this is one of the problems, it appears from the picture (as you pointed out) that there is leakage with closer to the front of the engine or above this point. Is their a way to further isolet the problem?

Additional thoughts? TIA

I would say your best bet would be to clean it thoroughly and then recheck it often. On the upside, you can get the variocam solenoid seal and the two green plugs for probably a few dollars. The green plugs will just pull out. For the variocam seal just undo the bolts and undo the connector for the wire that comes out of it then pull the old seal off and replace. That will take care of the basic things that can cause a leak like that. After that you're looking at the o ring on the oil scavenging pump or the cam cover.

Hope its something simple.

What are the two green plugs?

Ooops. I messed up when typing that, there is only one green plug on that side of the engine. Anyways there is a round green rubber plug (not much bigger than a quarter) that seals a bore formed between the head and the cam cover which can be removed to check cam timing/position.

Can the lifting element seal simply be tightened or does the seal need to be replaced? if it needs to be replaced, what is the process for doing this?

While it looks like this is one of the problems, it appears from the picture (as you pointed out) that there is leakage with closer to the front of the engine or above this point. Is their a way to further isolate the problem?

Additional thoughts? TIA

I would replace the seal then clean all the leaked oil residue.