Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM 2 Installation

PCM 2 Installation

Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers. My PCM2 unit was purchased used, from a 2003 Carrera coupe, which was upgraded to a custom stereo/navigation system. This was my experience and I take no responsibility for anyone else using these instructions). The PCM unit includes the main system plus the navigation module (the module with the blue antenna hookup). There is space at the bottom of the uni

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2001 Carrera 4 Cab, do you know if you can put a Porsche Nav System in it? It currently has just the CD Player CDR-220. What parts would I need and how complex is it. I am not too concerned about removal of the existing system because I think the instructions in this post seem pretty doable to me.

• Admin
I have a 2001 Carrera 4 Cab, do you know if you can put a Porsche Nav System in it? It currently has just the CD Player CDR-220. What parts would I need and how complex is it. I am not too concerned about removal of the existing system because I think the instructions in this post seem pretty doable to me.
You can not put a PCM2 in a pre-MY03 car.

IMHO PCM1 (if you could get all the parts) is not worth it. For a preMY03 car I think after market is likely the best. Do a search and you will find quite a few after market threads here.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice impressive work and thorough instructions fitting your PCM2! :cheers:

I just brought a 2003 996 USA with PCM2 (software ver. 3.0) to the UK. (same unit you installed no-GSM SIM module ) Dealer cannot tell me if there are CD maps for it for Europe or UK. Navtech tells me the map software is not compatible formats. Hard to believe that!

Do you know if these CDs are availible? Been seaching everywhere. I can find PCM 2 for USA /CA Only and PCM1CD and PCM 2.1 DVDs for Europe. Even wondered if maps could ripped from a DVD, since says both use ver 3.0

Sure could use some helpful advise!

Best regards

Jas

Edited by Jas III

If the dealer can't help you that's poor. But I would try ebay for the discs as that is where I picked up mine.

See ebay item # 190080273499 its missing disc one which I assume covers amongst others Germany but it covers the UK.

Edited by Nick_USA

Thanks Nick, I found that and bought both disc 2 & 3, just waiting for it to arrive.

The Knottingham Porsche called me to say Porsche Germany replied to them, there is CD Update kit for 2003 which he said updates the firmware to 2.1 He could ot say what the year map up date is, nor is if will work on CD Based PCM 2.0 software version 3.0. The set is £415 with VAT. Does anyone else out there know anyting more a about a CD firmaware 2.1 PCM update?

Thanks Nick, I found that and bought both disc 2 & 3, just waiting for it to arrive.

The Knottingham Porsche called me to say Porsche Germany replied to them, there is CD Update kit for 2003 which he said updates the firmware to 2.1 He could ot say what the year map up date is, nor is if will work on CD Based PCM 2.0 software version 3.0. The set is £415 with VAT. Does anyone else out there know anyting more a about a CD firmaware 2.1 PCM update?

The PCM discs you have brought on ebay do require the PCM software to be at version 3.0. You can find out the version of your software by turning on the PCM and pressing MAIN and TRIP at the same time.

The update is covered under TSB 13/04 which is available for view on here to contributing members. The update was part of a campaign that was necessary in the US to allow the use of the newly issued Map CDs the update was free at the time.

The CD to update your PCM is available from pelican parts ($1.98) Part Number 000 043 205 46. If your car also has BOSE you will also require Part Number 000 043 205 50. With both CDs and the TSB you should be able to upgrade your PCM software yourself to allow you to use the map discs you bought on ebay.

hope that helps you

Nick (2004 Boxster S with retro-fitted PCM)

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the quick reply. My system is version 3.0. I do have the Bose system. Quite a price difference. I am now a contributing member too. How could I argue its not justified with help and resources like this? :notworthy: Now I just need to find my way into the TSBs??? The part number for the PCM2.1 Europe update the dealer offere is 000044???????? (somewhere on my desk). I'll try to dig it up. I hguess when heard the price it was quickly neglected.Seems the best dated maps still though are 2004 at best. Funny PCM 1 16 bit updates are availble up to current. So the PCM2 I MY03-04 I guess is a bit of an odd ball.

Ever hear of any sucessfully ripping map data off of 2.1 DVD to work on 2.1 CD system?

I see there are a couple PCM 2.1 DVD systems with GSM phone and seperate DVD unit, on ebay.

Partnumber : 997.642.133.06 comes with everything, looks like complete retrofit kit (USA model).

Also 997.642.103.05 just PCM 2.1 (EU type w/ GSM phone)

Can a new PCM 2.1 DVD from MY05 up fit MY03?

Cheers

:wacko:

Jas

Edited by Jas III

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Can a new PCM 2.1 DVD from MY05 up fit MY03?

Cheers

:wacko:

Jas

ANyone ever get a newer DVD based nav to work in a 2003 or 2004 MOST bus 996TT??? People say it should work, but I've not been able to confirm it...

THx

Adam

• 2 years later...

Thanks for a great DIY tutorial. I purchased a 2005 era PCM2 from eBay in perfect condition (seemingly), and then purchased all the other parts from Pelican.

I did the install this week following these directions, and it was quite easy. Everything looks perfect now except one thing: although I have a brand new GPS antenna and lead connector, my PCM2 reports no GPS satellite reception.

I have a CD4 changer still to install, but am still waiting on the optical harness from Pelican.

Is my trouble likely due to the fact that the system is reporting a missing CD changer? Do I simply need recoding from my dealer?

Thanks for any feedback.

OK, now that I fixed my fuel pump / not starting issue (see 996 thread), I moved on to my PCM2 issue. Sure enough, it only needed some driving and some time under the sky to figure out where we were. It did take 45 minutes, but I finally acquired 6 satellites and got a correct 3D position. I'm a happy 911 owner again!

Edited by whito123

• 9 months later...