Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Center Console Delete Kit Instructions

Thanks for the instructions! :cheers:

A couple of comments:

There is one additional TORX screw not mentioned in the instructions that needs to be removed. It is located just below the front edge of the shifter boot.

While you are working, be careful to avoid scratching the leather covering on the lower part of the parking brake handle. It is thin and easy to mare. :oops:

Net weight savings is 3lbs. The parts removed are just less than 4lbs, those installed are just less than 1lb.

It is a very worthwhile improvement to the car.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks to Rockitman for posting his instructions with pictures.

I have nearly completed my console delete modification on my 98 Boxster. However, while removing the front mounting bracket in the attached picture, the thin bundle of wires (also indicated in one of Rockitman's pictures attached here) came loose.

post-2610-1135315309_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what purpose those wires might serve? I can't see anywhere where they might connect. And if they're for some option I don't have, I'm concerned about rattles as those wires and the plug they join at is just flopping around loose under my console delete kit. Where is this small bundle of wires supposed to go? Please help, I'm almost done with this mod!

Thanks to Rockitman for posting his instructions with pictures.

I have nearly completed my console delete modification on my 98 Boxster. However, while removing the front mounting bracket in the attached picture, the thin bundle of wires (also indicated in one of Rockitman's pictures attached here) came loose.

post-2610-1135315309_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what purpose those wires might serve? I can't see anywhere where they might connect. And if they're for some option I don't have, I'm concerned about rattles as those wires and the plug they join at is just flopping around loose under my console delete kit. Where is this small bundle of wires supposed to go? Please help, I'm almost done with this mod!

My logic tells me they are for any accessory bottons in the console itself - just under the cubby hole. Obviously you no longer have any of this now - so just tuck them away, cable tie them to something if you can to stop any potential rattles later on ...

Richard.

• Moderators

Need to see a picture of the connector. Most people find the unused cell phone connector and wonder what it is. It is black with 4 wires. And has no place to plug into. It is not alway in the exact location in the picture.

I think the 996 batwing has switches on it. Windows or heated seats - I forget. Those connectors looks different and has 5 wires.

post-4-1135375458_thumb.jpg

• Moderators
Need to see a picture of the connector. Most people find the unused cell phone connector and wonder what it is. It is black with 4 wires. And has no place to plug into. It is not alway in the exact location in the picture.

I think the 996 batwing has switches on it. Windows or heated seats - I forget. Those connectors looks different and has 5 wires.

Jeff:

Are you stealing my photos again with out giving credit?

• 4 weeks later...

post-2143-1137853186.jpg

The kit to remove the console is approximately $120. Here is a link to my installation instructions with pics.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuq44

:jump:

My center console has my heater/ac controls and cd drawers in it. Above on dash console is my radio and cup holders (which I never use). How difficult is it to remove cup holders and remount heater/ac into the void left by it before doing a console delete

• Admin

You will need to remove the radio to move the AC controls/cables/wires up to the cupholder position. To remove the radio you will need the removal keys (don't buy them on eBay they charge $10 or more for the keys that are $1.98 from Becker). Tool Pants did a cupholder removal post here also. With the right tools less than an hour to move things around.

• Moderators

The cupholders you have, I call them the pop-out style, were only use for 1 year on the 996. They are easy to remove and move the A/C up above the radio where it should be. The only parts you need to buy is the A/C trim and 2 mounting brackets. Search on cupholderectomy.

The cupholders you have, I call them the pop-out style, were only use for 1 year on the 996. They are easy to remove and move the A/C up above the radio where it should be. The only part you need to buy is the A/C trim. Search on cupholderectomy.

Thanks Loren and Tool Pants for the useful information. You guys RULE!!

Sounds like a good project while my 996 is sleeping for the winter. While I'm at it I will replace the CDR 220 with the TrafficPro I just got off of eBay. Now I have to get some updated CD's for the TP unit without blowing the budget. Anyone have an up to date Eastern CD they want sell?

Thanks again

Joe

Tool Pants,

The cupholders you have, I call them the pop-out style, were only use for 1 year on the 996. They are easy to remove and move the A/C up above the radio where it should be. The only part you need to buy is the A/C trim. Search on cupholderectomy.

So when I move the A/C up above the Radio will I need the A/C trim part # 996 552 339 00 01C like you posted in another thread?

Joe

:clapping:

• Moderators

No. That is for the a/c trim that you already have.

The a/c trim you need is 996 552 677 00 01C. Also need 2 brackets for the a/c display in the new location - 996 573 501 00. Then you will need a storage bin for where the a/c display was - 996 552 243 01 01C.

This guy might be interested in your cupholders.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...851entry38851

post-4-1138528418.jpg

The a/c trim you need is 996 552 677 00 01C. Also need 2 brackets for the a/c display in the new location - 996 573 501 00. Then you will need a storage bin for where the a/c display was - 996 552 243 01 01C.

Actually, I'm going to be doing the console delete so I won't need the storage bin. Taking out the CD holders along with cupholders. Thanks for the tip about the guy maybe wanting the cupholders.

Thanks,

Joe

:rolleyes:

Yeah., I am interested in your cup holder if you are willing to sell

Actually, I'm going to be doing the console delete so I won't need the storage bin. Taking out the CD holders along with cupholders. Thanks for the tip about the guy maybe wanting the cupholders.

Thanks,

Joe

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I received telephone power cable from becker yesterday; also I had to purchase two cigarette adapters for this modification. Basically no permanent damage to factory harness using becker cable and cigarette adapter to provide additional 12v for my XM radio and cell phone power adapter without using factory installed cigarette port. Now I don’t have to worry about battery is drain out from factory cigarette port. Turn ignition off, all others will go off like regular car.

Yappy! :beer:

98556848_abdb7b0410_o.jpg

98556816_263007111e_o.jpg

98556794_88d2b46be0_o.jpg

Edited by vfxbox

• 1 month later...
You will need to remove the radio to move the AC controls/cables/wires up to the cupholder position. To remove the radio you will need the removal keys (don't buy them on eBay they charge $10 or more for the keys that are $1.98 from Becker). Tool Pants did a cupholder removal post here also. With the right tools less than an hour to move things around.

Loren,

Finally started the console delete project this afternoon. Got the old 'cage' removed and as soon as I get the a/c wiring harness moved I can proceed. Is there a trick to getting the wiring harness from below to the upper position? There are 4 connedtors on the harness at the back of the a/c controls unit. These have to go behind the remaining bracket and then get fished up to their new upper location. Maybe a fish cable? Got the radio slid forward to provide more room.

Help

Joe