Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Polishing your exhaust tips

Polishing your exhaust tips

This is a summary of how to make your stainless steel exhaust tips look nice and shiny. Applicable cars: most 996, Boxsters, may be others. My exhaust tips were in a sad shape. I tried a variety of metal cleaners, but to no avail until "Oriental Express" provided the correct tip: you need to use some hard core polishing materials. I purchased a variety of 4 and 6" buffing wheels and several polishing compounds and an adapter to mount them on regular drill. I found the supplies made by Daco

• 2 weeks later...

Followed the instructions and they look great. Thanks for the "tip". Also, I have a heavy duty buffer with ten inch buffer wheels. It took me maybe ten minutes a side to buff. They look incredible. One tip to add; while you have the tips off, pry the flange that fits over the exhaust about an 1/8 inch wider with a large screw driver. It makes installation a breeze and closes quickly as you torque it down. Be mindful of the spacing between the body off the car and the tips, keeping it even all around the tip and note the depth of the tip as you cinch it into place. I polished mine one last time after installation with some metal polish for good measure. Entire project from start to finish, hands washed, took an hour. Thanks!

Edited by happy911

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I though this would be a great and inexpensive job. Picked up a polishing kit and headed home to get to work. I've run into one problem though. My tips don't bolt to the pipe. They are actually spot welded to the pipe in two spots.

Any idea as to what my options are?

Thanks in advance,

cab

Chris,

I have used Mothers chrome polish and an ultrafine 0000 steel wool. After washing and drying the car, apply the polish with the steel wool, let dry and repeat.

It even took out the rusty spots out. I also have a 99.

Izzy

Hey Izzy,

I have the polishing kit ready to go so that's not an issue. My problem is in removal. Did your tips have screws holding them on? Mine don't they have 2 spot welds attaching them to the pipe.

I'm trying to determine how I should remove and re-attach them.

Thanks,

Chris

• Moderators
Hey Izzy,

I have the polishing kit ready to go so that's not an issue. My problem is in removal. Did your tips have screws holding them on? Mine don't they have 2 spot welds attaching them to the pipe.

I'm trying to determine how I should remove and re-attach them.

Thanks,

Chris

If you look up the pipe you will see that it is held to the muffler by a ring clamp. Just unbolt the tip from there. It is a little bit more of a pain to get at that bolt, but it can be done.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, great post! My exhaust tips have been returned to their former glory.

My girlfriend drives a 1985 (early) 944 with a chrome exhaust tip, and...her chrome tips has held up a LOT better than on my '99 C4. We both drive in the same environment (year-round in Michigan), and about the same miles per year. The chrome on her older car is WAY better than on the newer car, no doubt a result of cost reductions and more environmentally friendly processes...but it sure would be nice to have some higher quality chrome plating, it's disappointing to say the least.

Thanks Orient Express. That did the trick.

Once I got them off, the polishing wheels were no match for the funk on them. I resorted to a wire wheel mounted to the drill. It cleaned them up quite nicely and then I followed up with the polishing.

cab

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I used Mother's Billet cream - works really well, give an excellent shine and requires very little effort - just take a soft cloth, rub it in with your finger, then wipe off and your tips go form tarnished to shiny in a few minutes - no need to remove them and no hard buffing required. :)

• 8 months later...

I couldn't pry out the exhaust after unbolting the flange so instead I tried to polish the exhaust while still attached to the car. I first used 600 grit sandpaper with "Mother's Chrome Polish", then 800, then 1500 to finish. I then used a 10" buffer (used for waxing) to finish it off with 1 coat of Chrome polish and 1 coat of wax. This doesn't look as good as removing it and using a drill attachment but it's a good alternative for people that don't have a drill and can't remove the exhaust.

post-20705-1209173461.jpg

post-20705-1209173479_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I used "Never Dull" just recently on my 99 Cab. Works great, took 10 minutes per. Also, Turtle Wax'es Chrome Polish is a good choice. I own a motorcycle. This effort was nothing. Finally, Never Dull will polish the OE Mufflers and pipes to a nice shiny tan, if you have a couple of days and a six pack.