Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Operating the top on the go

Guys, is the below applicable to the MY 2K 996 cabrio? I'd like to perform this simple mod....and where's the particular relay located in the 996? I tested the hand brake and one click does the job in allowing the top to be operated but does it at all activate the emergency brake? Sure doesn't feel like it!

http://www.iq.dynip.com/~gary/hacks/cabrio/cabrio.html

Thanks,

PS BTW I just won a B&M STS on ebay so I'll be busy installing it when it gets here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...IBSAA%3AUS%3A11

Edited by gcp

Guys, is the below applicable to the MY 2K 996 cabrio? I'd like to perform this simple mod....and where's the particular relay located in the 996? I tested the hand brake and one click does the job in allowing the top to be operated but does it at all activate the emergency brake? Sure doesn't feel like it!

http://www.iq.dynip.com/~gary/hacks/cabrio/cabrio.html

Thanks,

PS BTW I just won a B&M STS on ebay so I'll be busy installing it when it gets here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...IBSAA%3AUS%3A11

The link for the pin 18 mod is for Boxsters. For the 996, you can purchase the unit from Wilhelmy ( http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3287 ) or you can cut the speed wire that goes to the convertible controller (pink and grey wire) and you are done. Here is the link from June 2003

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=38&hl=

The smarTop did not work for my car (1999), so I cut the wire and have been operating the top while moving ever since. Easiest mod.

Loren, I assume I will be looking for the gray/pink wire to snip for MY2K?

Thanks,

Yes, MY99 and MY00 share all the same wiring colors.

Sounds like I'll be doing some snipping tonight :clapping:

Thanks,

Just in case you don't know the signficant (to me) difference between cutting the speed wire and installing the Smart Top from Wilhelmy:

After cutting the wire, just as before, you will have to press and hold the cab switch until the top cycle is complete, up or down. Sometimes, a tricky thing to do while paying attention to your driving and/or changing gears.

With the SmartTop (among its other advantages), a momentary press of the cab switch activates the cycle, and it continues .... on its own .... until complete. Then, if you wish, the rear quarter windows will function normally, as opposed to being locked down.

Add in the Remote Top device, and you can do it all with the remote lock button on your key.

No financial interest in the company .... I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Kim

2000 Black Cab

You can always operate the quarter windows regardless, even if you do not get a smarTop or cut the wire. With the top down, push in with a finger the hole where the cabrio top hook goes (by the dome light), and operate the rear windows at the same time.

I had a small black plastic plug I inserted in there when the top was to be down for a long time, and can operate the rear windows anytime.

Good luck with your decision, the smarTop does leave the car intact, and that is important to a lot of people.

...the smarTop does leave the car intact, and that is important to a lot of people.

Well, obviously not to me 'cause I snipped the wire as soon as I got home and went riding to test. I am happy to report that it was a successful mode, thanks guys for guiding me through it :clapping:

And izzy I like the plug idea to allow operation of the back windows, any pics of this plug available? BTW why did the Porsche engineers design the quarter windows to be inoperable with the top down?

Have I told you I love this forum?

Edited by gcp

Just in case you don't know the signficant (to me) difference between cutting the speed wire and installing the Smart Top from Wilhelmy:

After cutting the wire, just as before, you will have to press and hold the cab switch until the top cycle is complete, up or down. Sometimes, a tricky thing to do while paying attention to your driving and/or changing gears.

With the SmartTop (among its other advantages), a momentary press of the cab switch activates the cycle, and it continues .... on its own .... until complete. Then, if you wish, the rear quarter windows will function normally, as opposed to being locked down.

Add in the Remote Top device, and you can do it all with the remote lock button on your key.

No financial interest in the company .... I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Kim

2000 Black Cab

i wish. i got the smart top in the rennlist group buy (2001 c2 cab) and mine DOES NOT operate with one touch.

gcp,

I don't have a picture. But this is what I did, go to the Home Depot (or similar store) hardware section, they have plastic "automotive" plugs in the hardware drawers. I picked up a few bags of round ones (they ranged from 39 cents to 89 cents a pair) all black in color. Then tried them on until one fit in diameter. I recalled I had to use a utility knife to cut the tip off so it fit lenghtwise.

But once you put it in there, the black cap parts blends in perfectly with the black dome light cover. A beautiful thing, looks like part of the car if anyone ever notices it.

In my opinion, I do not mind cutting the wire either, have done other mods that require other wire reconfigs as well. Just wanted to let you know of other options others have used and seem very pleased with as well.

So you doing the daylight running lights next or the side blinkers? Or the decklid switch? How about the extended length remote?

This is cool site, all that information can be found with explanations and pictures. Have fun, and take pictures for the rest of us.

i wish. i got the smart top in the rennlist group buy (2001 c2 cab) and mine DOES NOT operate with one touch.

Those folks will certainly work with you to make it right .... they have with me .... but just in case there is a misunderstanding in what I posted.

WHEN STOPPED: the Smarttop still requires 2 touches to prevent inadvertant movement of the top when the car is standing and a bystander (or the car) may be injured. First, press the side of the switch that represents the current top position ("up" if top is up). hold it for a couple of seconds, then release. THEN, press and release the "down" side. The top will cycle fully without your finger on the button.

WHEN MOVING (above a crawl): Simply press (and hold for a couple of seconds) the switch for the direction you desire to move the top. You can then release, and the top will begin and complete its cycle without your finger on the button.

If yours does not operate like this, then I suggest you contact Wilhelmy.

Kim

2000 Cab

Edited by Kim

So you doing the daylight running lights next or the side blinkers? Or the decklid switch? How about the extended length remote?

This is cool site, all that information can be found with explanations and pictures. Have fun, and take pictures for the rest of us.

izzy, I obviously have not been doing my home work around here so, please tell me about your suggested modes or please point me to them, they all sound interesting to perform :help:

Edited by gcp

Well, try the Search function on top of the page and to the right for combinations of words. But here are some primers:

For remote control

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4958

Tail spoiler switch:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7071

Side markers:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...2912&hl=markers

Daytime running lights:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=running+lights

Check also the DIY section, there is a wealth of information about other modfications. Sometimes it feels to me like the cars are the equivalent of a Mr. Potato head, you can change pieces easily, as long as you have the instructions. Have fun with it.

Izzy

Does operating the top while in motion cause it to require more adjustments / lubes / alignments? It can't be great to operate a complex mechanism while in motion. The manual says only to operate top on flat surface.

I find it a pain to fix rattles and would rather not operate top if it makes the top more rattle prone.

Well, the trimming of the antenna is completed and the key remote works at a greater distance for sure. I just ordered the switch for the garage door opener mod, should be here next week. All's well that ends well I guess, thanks for your help guys :clapping:

Does operating the top while in motion cause it to require more adjustments / lubes / alignments? It can't be great to operate a complex mechanism while in motion. The manual says only to operate top on flat surface.

I find it a pain to fix rattles and would rather not operate top if it makes the top more rattle prone.

Although the Smartop allows operation up to about 20 MPH ( as does the factory wiring of the later model 996), the typical way I find myself performing up/down on the fly is NOT running down the road .... rather its pulling out of my driveway, or into the garage, or into a parking lot where I know I'm going to leave it up. The big plus is not so much on the road, as it is in not having to sit in a parking lot or the garage and raise lower it after parking or before starting out.

Now, with the RemoteTop, I have a choice .... park with it down, and watch it raise, close the windows, and lock up as I walk away. I love it.

Kim

2000 Cab

Although the Smartop allows operation up to about 20 MPH ( as does the factory wiring of the later model 996), the typical way I find myself performing up/down on the fly is NOT running down the road .... rather its pulling out of my driveway, or into the garage, or into a parking lot where I know I'm going to leave it up. The big plus is not so much on the road, as it is in not having to sit in a parking lot or the garage and raise lower it after parking or before starting out.

Now, with the RemoteTop, I have a choice .... park with it down, and watch it raise, close the windows, and lock up as I walk away. I love it.

Kim

2000 Cab

Kim, you forgot the red lights, I can now start the top down/up operation while I am approaching a red light without having to stop first. Makes the whole thing more convenient. In my opinion snipping the wire is a great little mod (and did I mention the price is right??) that provides much greater soft top operation flexibility.