Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• 3 months later...
I sent you a PM with some information. Let me know if that is it.

I need this information too. Mine is a 1999 C2. Could we also have this information put in the DIY section ? I can put it there if need be once I have the goods.

Thanks !

Sid

My alternator was kind enought to fall off a number of miles after it was R&R'd by the dealer doing another repair. :/ Fractured the lower bracket and shredded the belt and the oil filler hose. I've got some pictures of the area. I'll see if I can find 'em and post 'em up.

Sid,

I would be glad to send you the instructions I have in PDF file, but it is copyright material, which is why I can't put it in the DIY. However, I if you do the work using the material and take your own pictures, augmented by the official diagram, then it would be fine to put that in the DIY with you as author. Will send you a pm now.

Just want to make sure we don't get the board on trouble, it is a very valuable asset.

Izzy

Edited by izzyandsue

Sid,

I would be glad to send you the instructions I have in PDF file, but it is copyright material, which is why I can't put it in the DIY. However, I if you do the work using the material and take your own pictures, augmented by the official diagram, then it would be fine to put that in the DIY with you as author. Will send you a pm now.

Just want to make sure we don't get the board on trouble, it is a very valuable asset.

Izzy

Understood and well taken Izzy. I'll try to take pictures with a write up if I can wrap this up quickly.

Thanks

Sid

Here are some pics from my fiasco. Feel free to use them if you can. I've got many more but most are fairly duplicative.

Ok guys,

1) Now I removed both the left as well as right screwes (red and green in the "borrowed" picture below). On the left side (red) the generator swings upwards but it doesn't seem to budge on the right side (green). How do I release the green side ? Unlike the photo, I've completely removed the roller as well as the "green" screw.

The alternator/generator doesn't seem to wanna turn clockwise ... tips greatly appreciated !

post-8807-1154804119_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have the little pdf explaining the generator removal, but its quite terse. Tips are welcome !

cheers !

Sid

PS: Direction for easy belt removal are in this post

Edited by siddharth

Sorry for bumping this up. I'm looking for some tips on getting the generator out. As explained above, I've taken out the holding screws, but theright side seems tighyly wedged.

I tried loosening the threaded bushing on the right side (rear of the screw marked green) as explained in the manual, but it doesn't seem to loosen up. What did you guys do when trying to get it off ??

Thanks again,

Sid

Sorry for bumping this up. I'm looking for some tips on getting the generator out. As explained above, I've taken out the holding screws, but theright side seems tighyly wedged.

I tried loosening the threaded bushing on the right side (rear of the screw marked green) as explained in the manual, but it doesn't seem to loosen up. What did you guys do when trying to get it off ??

Thanks again,

Sid

You have to turn the alternator clockwise in order to clear the mountng points. Then it lifts right out.

You have to turn the alternator clockwise in order to clear the mountng points. Then it lifts right out.

That's true and I believe the generator must be rotated clockwise "in-place". But my problem is that the left side seems to want to rotate but the right side seems jammed - not allowing the right side to clockwise - even with the screw and roller out.

post-8807-1154804119_thumb.jpg

Is there some trick to loosen the left side ? I'm worried about damage to the generator housing if I force it too much/bang it with a hammer ...

Thanks

Sid

Edited by siddharth

Remove bolt you've circled in green along with the pulley. Reinsert just the bolt and thread it in a ways. Now shoot some WD40 into where the bolt threads in at the rear of the alternator housing (you can see that its rusted in the picture). Take a hammer and hit the bolt( or place something like a socket over the head of the bolt if you dont want to mar it) and drive the bolt a few mm back. Whats holding you up is there is a bushing in the rear portion of the alternator housing which is pulled too tight for you to remove the alternator. Driving that bushing out a few mms will allow you to remove the alternator easily. This is the factory procedure by the way.

Remove bolt you've circled in green along with the pulley. Reinsert just the bolt and thread it in a ways. Now shoot some WD40 into where the bolt threads in at the rear of the alternator housing (you can see that its rusted in the picture). Take a hammer and hit the bolt( or place something like a socket over the head of the bolt if you dont want to mar it) and drive the bolt a few mm back. Whats holding you up is there is a bushing in the rear portion of the alternator housing which is pulled too tight for you to remove the alternator. Driving that bushing out a few mms will allow you to remove the alternator easily. This is the factory procedure by the way.

Thanks guys !! It's done !! The alternator was out, I accessed the tubes behind it.

I had to use a ton of WD40, a few cuts & bruises on my hands, a jammed finger, a ton of pushing, shoving, pulling, mallet hits, using screw drivers as levels etc to get the generator out. Nasty one - but done with no damage to the precious alternator (or around). At some point I felt the right side was probably welded in my case !!

I'm going to write a little DIY soon - taken snaps just for that.

Edited by siddharth

Be sure to get the green bolt tight during the reinstall. I believe that the dealer failed to properly tighten it causing it to slowly back out and allow the alternator to pivot on the red flange, cracking it and requiring replacement. Fortunately there was no major failure of anything else and I heard all heck breaking loose as soon as I started the car to leave the office.

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys !! It's done !! The alternator was out, I accessed the tubes behind it.

I had to use a ton of WD40, a few cuts & bruises on my hands, a jammed finger, a ton of pushing, shoving, pulling, mallet hits, using screw drivers as levels etc to get the generator out. Nasty one - but done with no damage to the precious alternator (or around). At some point I felt the right side was probably welded in my case !!

Did you ever happen to copmlete the write up? I think my voltage regulator is on the way out and it would be helpful! Thanks,

Shawn

• 4 months later...

Did you ever write any instructions on the alternator removal? I'm having the same problem on my Boxster. I can not get the right bracket to budge. Thanks.

• 4 years later...